Light Beginner/Intermediate White Water Solo Boat

Twin-Tex
    Length 3,43 m (11.3' )
    Width 73,66 cm (29')
    Depth 40,8 cm (16')
    Rocker 11,4 cm (4 1/2') bow / 10 cm (4') stern
    Weight 16,78 kg (37 lb)

What the makers say:

Super light with predictable performance, the Zephyr will put you in the fast track on the learning curve to whitewater fun and performance.

The length and rocker was carefully chosen to optimise speed and tracking ability while still allowing responsive turns. Beginner to intermediate paddlers will be reassured by the initial and secondary stability.

The chines allow smooth and controlled turns. The new Twin-tex material gives the performance of a stiff and light composite boat with the toughness of a polyethylene boat. The light weight pays off in acceleration, speed and of course on the portage trail. This is a versitile boat that will offer many advantages to paddlers of all abilities.

Scratch resistant but not great with impacts, paddle it like a glass boat.

when you do eventually break it, fixing it is an epic nightmare.

sandie
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Scratch resistant but not great with impacts, paddle it like a glass boat.

when you do eventually break it, fixing it is an epic nightmare.

sandie
    How DO you fix it? How does this handle and how light? It seems odd that it is described as a beginner / intermediate boat when it looks like it has quite a bit of rocker.

Cheers
    MM
    Happiness is a clean, tidy anemone

Well I saw some pictures of it and it looks like it has soft chines so wouldn't flip you if you made a mistake. It all depends on how big you are I guess. If you're small it'll probably feel really big and stable - if your'e big like me it might be a nightmare...

A very very nice boat to paddle.

the chines are quite sharp, for an open boat, It carves very nicely.

Very good secondary stability and though it is like a big Zoom, it has better primary.

It paddles a lot like an ocoee but its feels faster but spins on the spot slower. I have not measured this , its just how it feels. It has a very light feel on the water.

I love mine, but now hate the material.

To repair, it takes more words than i care to write this time of night.

You need 2 special electric heater pads, special insulating cloth that will not melt at high temperatures, special plastic sheet that also will not melt, small squares of the material the boat is made from , a powerful vacume pump and an electricity tranformer. Oh and special sticky tape stuff like blue tack on steroids.

repairing the flat bits is fine once you figure it out but what ever you do dont break any of the curved bits.

Appently there is only one 'repair kit' in europe and it took many months to get it, no idea where it is now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandie_...nca/2689303476

sandie
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by mangy mutt View Post
    It seems odd that it is described as a beginner / intermediate boat when it looks like it has quite a bit of rocker.
    Not sure I understand why rocker would stop it being a beginner WW boat?
    Rocker is a good thing on moving water. Keeps you bow dryer and lets you turn faster.
    Rogue

Somebody likes WoW?

Looks like a neato boat - can I try it if I see you on the Dart next weekend?

I tried Bob's Zoom and it spat me out quicker than a uhm... well really quickly anyways!

BTW where were those photos taken - nice to see Joc - although I haven't seen that face of his before!

HI Sandy
    Thanks for the info. It is enough for me. I will stay out of this material. Pe or compsosite it will be. OR perhaps royalex, or last resort wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    A very very nice boat to paddle.

the chines are quite sharp, for an open boat, It carves very nicely.

Very good secondary stability and though it is like a big Zoom, it has better primary.

It paddles a lot like an ocoee but its feels faster but spins on the spot slower. I have not measured this , its just how it feels. It has a very light feel on the water.

I love mine, but now hate the material.

To repair, it takes more words than i care to write this time of night.

You need 2 special electric heater pads, special insulating cloth that will not melt at high temperatures, special plastic sheet that also will not melt, small squares of the material the boat is made from , a powerful vacume pump and an electricity tranformer. Oh and special sticky tape stuff like blue tack on steroids.

repairing the flat bits is fine once you figure it out but what ever you do dont break any of the curved bits.

Appently there is only one 'repair kit' in europe and it took many months to get it, no idea where it is now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandie_...nca/2689303476

sandie
    Thank you for that Sandie.

A friend of mine would like to try one - I think he hoped I would buy one and lend it to him ! Fat chance! You may have put me off because of the difficulty of repairing one but I'd love something lighter than the Ovation (which is far heavier than the Zoom). I thought Esquif said it was tough as a polyethylene boat? It is a nice looking boat though and so much fun to paddle something light. I liked Mohawks but I am getting more sold on Esquifs.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lovingit2 View Post
    Somebody likes WoW?

Looks like a neato boat - can I try it if I see you on the Dart next weekend?

I tried Bob's Zoom and it spat me out quicker than a uhm... well really quickly anyways!

BTW where were those photos taken - nice to see Joc - although I haven't seen that face of his before!
    Sure you can have a go.

Sad to say, I played wow for over 2 years but no longer. Im currently waiting for Star Treck Online to come out in about 2weeks.

one pic was the clywedog(Llanidloes) the others were all trywern.

Sandie
    Rogue

Default Repair twintex

Hi I can repair twintex in Belgium, you have to do it under vacuum. Regards Kris

I'd wait for the Esquif L'Edge
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Have several friends that paddle zephyr's in the rockies as well as the mistrals and no ones managed to break one yet.
    Also one buddy had a l'edge out for demo on the weekend and liked it,it is a strange looking boat,almost like a large toureu or fly,somewhat heavy being thick abs but fun to carve turns with he says.He didnt like the zephyr(his wife had one)but says the l'edge is the first boat he has liked right away

My 3 year old Zephyr is now at the factory in Quebec -- which is the only place where it can be fixed. This is about 700 km away. I went over a three foot drop and found a sharp rock with the stern, resulting a a 6 inch gash in the bottom.

Other than the lack of repairability, I love the boat. A more stable Zoom which is very dry on big water. Carves nicely and is very light for portaging or hoisting onto shuttle vehicles.

Unfortunately, I think that Twin-Tex is going to go down as a failed experiment unless the repair problem is solved. You can fix glass or Royalex in your garage. Twin-Tex is as light as glass and as tough as Royalex -- but everything eventually gets bashed up in whitewater.

(BTW, I'm not the only one around with a broken Zephyr. Rocky, shallow rivers are not so nice for them.)

Quote Originally Posted by woodenkayakguy View Post
    Also one buddy had a l'edge out for demo on the weekend and liked it,it is a strange looking boat,almost like a large toureu or fly,somewhat heavy being thick abs but fun to carve turns with he says.
    The l'edge took it's design cues from the spanish fly (craig who designed it said he wouldn't be satisfied if it wasn't as good or better), with the intention of being as stable, with the same great carving edges, but easier to boof, dryer, and a more traditional shape (with a choice of open or covered deck). The result has been remarkable (a boat which enables a range of paddlers from beginners through to the world leading OC1 Boaters), but is undeniably rather ugly.

It's made of of rotomoulded PE by the way, not ABS.
    Joshua Kelly - cboats.net

Quote Originally Posted by woodenkayakguy View Post
    Also one buddy had a l'edge out for demo on the weekend and liked it,it is a strange looking boat,almost like a large toureu or fly,somewhat heavy being thick abs but fun to carve turns with he says.He didnt like the zephyr(his wife had one)but says the l'edge is the first boat he has liked right away
    I'm not surprised your friend liked this boat. It is incredibly stable and an extremely dry, predictable ride. I am a good fit in my canoe but even sitting quite loosely in this (and goodness knows where the footpegs were) the boat felt really stable accross the flow. I thought it seemed faster than some (e.g. Ovation, Fly) but not as fast as others (Zoom, Rodeo, Probe etc). I liked the fact that it's PE but not so keen on its weight. Still, as it paddles nice and dry, no need to tip it so much....

I've paddled the Zephyr a few times now, mostly at LV. Compared to the Ocoee I spend most of my time paddling its noticeably drier, faster across the water and quick to get there, mostly down a little less rocker. But the biggest upside to me was the perceived narrowness, makes cross deck strokes so easy compared to the Ocoee but still maintains good stability (in fact the first time I got in it I dismissed it as a barge, I was paddling a prelude at the time).
    It is slow to turn on the spot though, feels like its a foot longer than the Ocoee. If I was loaded enough not to worry about breaking one I'd own a Zephyr as my go to river runner.
    For the record I'm 6ft and 105kgs.