Beginner/Touring White Water Solo Boat

Royalex
    Length 3,91 m (12.10' )
    Width 73,6 cm (29')
    Depth 39,4 cm (15 1/2')
    Rocker 11,4 cm (4 1/2') bow / 10 cm (4') stern
    Weight 22 kg (49 lb)

What the makers say:

The first solo model offered by Esquif, the Vertige is lively and responsive. Its carrying capacity makes it a logical choice for solo canoe camping.

This confidence-inspiring hull is a good learning platform for novices and provides intermediates with the speed and stability necessary for white water wilderness trips.

Okay so I've got one of these...

I paddled trad boats for about 7 years before deciding to take the plunge and buy my first spec boat. Having bought it about 2-3 months ago it's been down the Usk and Wye 2-3 times (including one hella ride on the Usk in spate) as well as numerous play sessions on the slalom sites and weirs. It's been on G4 water as well as super flat E.Anglian stuff.

So... the first thing to note about the Vertige is it's a super stable boat - much more stable in fact than some trads that I've paddled - including many of the solo boats on the market (I owned a freedom solo before and have paddled a couple of other solos). In white water the extra 3-4 cms of depth on either side just seem enough to save an edge on all those occasions when you get it wrong . Its nice flat planing bottom sits on waves nicely and always feels solid whilst the soft chines are very forgiving of the odd wobbly moment. It's accelerates fairly quickly and maintains speed so you can keep up with trad boats most of the time although of course there's not much point taking it onto a lake!

Having paddled it now a fair bit, I have to say that I'm feeling a little bit like I could do with an even shorter more rockered boat. But that COULD be because I've been spending so much time paddling with a certain ZOOM paddler ... It won't turn as quickly as an Ocoee, Nitro or Zoom although it would probably be comparable to say an Outrage X or a Prodigy. However it will make you THINK like you could paddle an Ocoee... which I guess is the point.

It does what it says on the tin. A confidence inspiring entry into the spec boating world. You'll love paddling it because it'll make you feel like a spec boating demi-god

Quote Originally Posted by lovingit2 View Post
    Having paddled it now a fair bit, I have to say that I'm feeling a little bit like I could do with an even shorter more rockered boat. But that COULD be because I've been spending so much time paddling with a certain ZOOM paddler ... It won't turn as quickly as an Ocoee, Nitro or Zoom although it would probably be comparable to say an Outrage X or a Prodigy.
    It does what it says on the tin. A confidence inspiring entry into the spec boating world. You'll love paddling it because it'll make you feel like a spec boating demi-god
    I think it paddles much like the Outrage, but maybe the Outrage has more rocker??

NB Don't worry about that annoying Zoom paddler.....I reckon he's the sort that piles the weight on. Feed him biscuits and lots of sweet tea. But the boat is mine so hands off.
    Happiness is a clean, tidy anemone