All-rounder White Water Solo Boat

Royalex
    Length 3,5 m (11,6' )
    Width 69,8 cm (27 1/2')
    Depth 40,6 cm (16')
    Rocker 12,7 cm (5') bow / 15.2 cm (6') stern
    Weight 23,1 kg (51 lb)

What the makers say:

Dynamite ! The Nitro is a revolutionary departure from canoe design.

It is the first Royalex white water canoe to incorporate a double chined hull. As a result of the needs expressed by paddlers, the Nitro was developed to be the best surfing open-canoe available for canoeists.

By incorporating double chines the Nitro exhibits predictable edge control when side surfing or carving turns and is comfortable in transitions between initial and secondary stability. A deep hull in the center and towards the ends enhances buoyancy and dryness. Its design allows you to push your limits and enjoy the rivers full potential.

Has anyone paddled this, what are your thoughts as a canoe to get started and progress in? I have done a little one blade paddling and looking for a new challenge in white water. Would it be to aggressive for a novice in open canoe?

I have not paddled one but looking at it I would suggest its not for the novice. Although if your coming form a strong kayak background then it would be a lot of fun. Prepare to swim a lot in the beginning.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

don't even think about starting paddling in this boat!

It will keel over at the last minute as a result of the chines, if you can roll a boat it will be a pig to do so unless you CAN roll, then it will be a beauty!

It is a white water boat pure and simple, being very similar to the Occoe. Once WW OC1 mastered it would bring a lot of pleasure.

Look at something maybe a little more forgiving before committing to such a full on and rewarding boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Juno2 View Post
    don't even think about starting paddling in this boat!
    That's odd, It's widely regarded as being one of the best beginner-intermediate Spec Boats about, a bit slow and wide, and suceptable to nasty wear on the double chine but a dependable starting point that you can grow with.
    Joshua Kelly - cboats.net

Usually I can predict the behavior of a WW OC-1 from the shape of its hull, but for the double chine designs I simply can't imagine how they would behave without trying one. Because of this uncertainty factor, I would put a novice in a MR Outrage or possibly a Bell Prodigy. But half an hour in a Nitro might change my mind.