Thread: Swale Charity Paddle 19/20 March

Default Swale Charity Paddle 19/20 March

Hi Folks,

Just to make people aware of this oppertunity to paddle this pleasant river, and perhaps meet a few folks as well.

http://www.swaledaleoutdoorclub.org.uk/majorevents/swalecharitypaddle/index.htm

Entry forms, sponsor forms and an info sheet can be downloaded from

http://pennine.demon.co.uk/SOC/CP_docs.html

Hope to see a few of you on the river.

Paul B

This sounds great - unfortunately I am away that weekend - Is it an annual event? If it is I will try and be there next year. Hope it goes well.
    Regards

SuperNova

Default Swale Charity Paddle

Hi,
    This is an annual event.

PAUL B.

Cheers Paul - I'll try and be there next year - may be able to persuade some of my chums from Chelmsford as well - we are always on the look out for a trip away. Tends to depend greatly on our race schedule -but I'll see what I can do.
    Regards

SuperNova

Default swale charity paddle

The dates shown above are slightly wrong, the paddle is on the 18th/19th of March.

Proceeds are usally split between the Swaledale Mountain Rescue Team and another charity - air ambulance last year I think.

Haven't done the event before but have paddled some of the route and the scenery is pretty damn good, the last half mile is done with Richmond castle towering above you. Don't miss the get out though - 10 more yards and you go over Richmond Falls!

I'll be there, must get my entry sent in!

I'll be going to this too.

If anyone is camping with a tentpipi for this trip could we come and have a look?

I would camp but its a family trip I'm told we plan to be staying in a B&B. Too birds with one stone as the wenslydale railway isn't far.
    Rogue

Ill be going too if I can manage to swap my on call weekend,

Default Swale Paddle 18.19 March

Hi folks,

We are paddling on the Saturday on the Swale. Possibly paddling at Slenningford, Hack falls down depending on shuttles as we only have one vehicle at present and three boats, So we might pole and track our way up river as far as possible. Sundays paddle may change depending on the water levels in the region.

YH on the Saturday night, but not booked yet.

Paul B.

Default Swale paddle

Well I met Rogue briefly before we departed on a very low water level Swale. One of the organisers said they had noted the level on the gauge in the morning and had seen it drop throughout nthe day. There was snow melt but it had no effect. It was very cold most of the day with a wee breeze blowing upstream. Very few folks around.

Slenningford mill on Sunday. I thought there might be more water well downstream, there was slightly. It was quite busy, lots of little kayaks. A lot warmer with sunshine. very steady.

PB

Hi Paul,

We did the Lune on sunday. Lots more water to be had. A really excellent trip. The Strid had enough water this time an I aced it, didn't even touch the sides. Its on video I may upload bits later.

I was disappointed with the Swale. But we will come back next year as it looks like it has good potential at higher water levels.
    Rogue

Video of me running the strid on the Lune

http://www.vimeo.com/clip=56051

Poling at the Swale Charity Paddle get on (Grinton) while waiting for people to car shuttle.
    Poling1
    Poling2
    Poling3
    Poling4
    Last edited by Rogue; 20th-March-2006 at 06:54 PM.
    Rogue

Default Swale Charity Paddle 19/20 March

Hi

Check out this great little video clip. Well done Rogue.

PB