Thread: Loch Tummel

Default Loch Tummel

Ah! Great day out on the water today! Beautiful blue skies and just a little wind. Paddled out along Loch Tummel from about the halfway point towrds the east.
    It's my third time out in my boat (fourth time canoeing!). Still really pleased with it, it chops along at a good rate when you get over the initial inertia. My 'J' strokes are getting better but still far from expert, but I can go for longer before swapping sides!
    I'm finding that a bit of a breeze can swing the boat around and make it really hard work to keep going straight so I think to myself "Maybe it's cos I'm sat in the seat, I'll try this kneeling in the middle lark." My repositioning of weight brings the nose of the boat down and keeping the boat straight suddenly gets much easier. I'm ridiculously pleased with this discovery and reminded how much I love the learning process.
    I explore the banks and islands at the Eastern end of the Loch thinking how much like Canada it seems. This impression is increased when I come round a corner and find a float plane parked in a little bay!
    It's a very peaceful day of ducks and geese, I spot what I believe to be a Goldeneye amongst the Mallards. I eat lunch on an island in the sun before heading back to where I parked the car.
    I paddle around for a while when I reach the spot, reluctant to get out of the water and still getting enormous satisfaction out of floating on this cold, black loch on a boat I built myself. I think about the long construction process, how this boat was once four sheets of plywood and some assorted timber, and how, now, to my eyes at least she is a thing of beauty. I wonder how long I'll be so pleased with myself!

Matt
    Last edited by Matt25; 3rd-November-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Nice wee resume of your trip, Matt. If you ever go to Loch Earn you'll maybe see more float planes there - there's a couple of creeks in the SW corner that lead to where two or three of these are kept. One's yellow, and often also to be seen parked at the newish jetty at St Fillans, opposite the hotel there.

Your boat's a real picture; not many of us will experience paddling a craft that's been created by dint of our own sweat and skill. Well done, you.
    Ian

Altering the trim of the canoe to deal with the wind was a huge discovery for me. Suddenly paddling into or away from the wind became so much easier, with the wind doing the steering for me (well almost )
    John

Great Blogg. Looks like a grand day out. I suspect your going to feel pretty pleased with yourself for some time to come.

Loch Tummel is a top spot.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Great looking boat; wish I had the skill.
    Aslan

lovely pictures...we were up in Banroy week before last but saw only mist, fog and low cloud! I knew the scenery was there but could not quite make it out in all the scotchmist. Lucky you!

Hi Matt. The boat looks great! How long did it take you to build?

Jim

Hard to say, Jim. I've been between two jobs for the last two months and built it during that time, but by no means full time. Actually, much of the time involved is waiting for epoxy to set! It was actually quite easy to build, I'm reasonably competent with my hands but had no woodworking skill when I started the project, being more of a DIY type when it comes to cars and bikes.
    It's funny how it gets you. This boat's fairly simple and crude close up but I'm now tempted to build another boat almost as a useable artwork. Really take my time over the details...not for a while yet though! Just happy getting this one in the water!

Matt

Nice looking canoe Matt.

But that seat looks hard.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Matt,
    Your pictures are excellent and your canoe looks just superb, well done!!