Thread: Tyne Tour

Default Tyne Tour

Anyone at the Tyne this weekend? I get the impression that the other rivers will be low. I always hanker after paddling the Allen but it rarely provides me with water when I am in the area. There will be a guaranteed release from Kielder Reservoir so the North Tyne will be good to go down to Hexham.

Say 'Hi' if you see me.

Sad, I know but i've printed an otter for my car window.

Should be arriving friday evening. Silver Estate. Red Ocoee and Green Freedom Solo on the roof.

wish I had one of those tents with a stove. i'm really not looking forward to the camping!
    Rogue

Rogue, I will be arriving Saturday morning with Keiron. I do not have accomodation for Saturday night and, whilst I will be bringing my tent, I hope to find a B&B. See you there.

Gosh, what a lot of flat water!

Was it just the low level or is wardens gorge over hyped? I was quite disappointed with it.
    Last edited by Rogue; 6th-November-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: I wimped out of the camping too and found a Hotel
    Rogue

I think that was quite a usual level although the last time I did it it was a bit higher and there were more play waves along the way. That was in kayak mind you.

Yes I think Warden Gorge is a bit ver hyped. Nick Doll only grades it at 3 although it becomes more of a challenge as the river levels come up. he line down river right develops a couple of extra boat gobbling stoppers. For the open boats, I enjoyed working the gorge, picking off a few eddies back and forth before the final run down through the waves. The trouble is, it is the only good feature on the river. Other than that you have to rely on enjoying a quiet paddle with friends and lovely scenery.

On first day we paddled from barrasford and on Sunday we extended this from Wark managing to organise our own shuttles for flexibility.

I wasn't that keen on the 600 mile round trip.

I don't think it was much higher than a normal winter level, a bit disapointing for a dam release, especially when the guys at the info tent told me it was HIGH in a tone of voice that made me worry!

To be honest when it's properly high it just becomes a matter of trying to avoid getting swamped, most of the good features get washed out and replaced with big waves that are too steep to surf in an open. Wouldn't give it any more than grade 3 though.

Spare a thought for smallboatsarebest, that dagger aftershock wasn't designed for the flat stuff!

As you mentioned earlier, the Allen is a better trip, but it only goes in the rain, and is too short a trip to warrant a long journey, living in Newcastle has it's advantages.

i was there in a kayak
    thought i was not up to it in my new boat
    as i last paddled it 25 years ago
    i was a little concerned as i last paddled ww about 15 years ago
    when i reached the bottom i had exactly the same thought as the last time i did it
    'was that it '
    wish id taken my real boat. will do so next year
    it felt a bit like the A1 on a friday night. better off paddling it on other days where you dont have to queue to get a go on the standing waves
    nature is m X-box

Having set off early on Saturday, we were one of the first on the water at Barrasford. Only a couple ahead of us. However, we stopped for a coffee and a bite half way down and the hoardes overtook us and filled the river by the time we got to the gorge.

Bank to bank plastic!

Default Wall to wall plastic!

I was there too, leading a group in kayak this year though (been in open the last 2 years so shouldn't complain). We always tell everyone you go for the social not the paddling - I always reckon Warden's is over-graded unless there's been lots of rain & then as mentioned it just becomes big & bouncy with a river wide stopper at the bottom. As Adrian said, I reckon it's more fun at lower levels 'cos you can work it a bit more (especially with a group), but it's a long flat paddle to get there.

We dropped south & ran the Tees on Sunday for a quieter & nicer river - admittedly it was a bump & scrape in places.

Have to say there were many more opens around this year than before - but many of them wouldn't have stopped to speak to me 'cos i was in my k k - I did speak to a few i knew though - didn't spot any white otters or anything out there!!

I hope you showed the yakkers how it was done on the gorge Sandy!

Jas