Thread: Holiday - access

Default Holiday - access

I am currently planning a family canoeing holiday in Wales sometime late summer 2007, along the following stretches:

(1) R. Wye:
    • Llyswen bridge to Hay on Wye
    • Bredwardine to Hereford
    • Ross on Wye to Monmouth
    (2) R. Usk:
    • Crickhowell to Caerleon
    And a day on the:

(3) Llangorse Lake

I wonder if anyone has some information on access.
    Basically:
    • which of my planned routes can we paddle freely?
    • which of them do we need to get permission?
    and
    • who do I need to contact to apply for permission?
    Cheers

Sprout

Have you come across http://www.canoewales.com/ yet? It should have all the info you need. For example (the full text of the river access agreements can be accessed via the site too):

Llangorse Lake
    Near to Brecon, this is a large lake that is popular for a variety of watersports. The 400 acre lake has car parking facilities, picnic sites, camping and toilets. Permits are available from the Caravan Park and can be purchased either daily or as season tickets.

River Wye
    To: Glasbury
    Time of year: 18th October - 15th March; year round spate agreement.
    From Glasbury to Hay on Wye there is a permissive agreement all year.
    From Hay on Wye to tidal waters the Wye is a free navigation.

River Usk
    To: Tidal Waters
    Time of year: October 18th to 1st March; year round spate agreement.
    Permission must be obtained before paddling. No canoeing on Brecon Weir.

Thanks Amelia...............

I have looked at the site you mentioned and I have the Chris Sladden book....................still confused though

What does this mean - "there is a permissive agreement all year" ? and what is a "year round spate agreement" ?

I don't understand grey statements I need either 'Yes you can', 'No you cannot' or 'Yes you can, but you need to get permission from....'

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Thanks Amelia...............

I have looked at the site you mentioned and I have the Chris Sladden book....................still confused though

What does this mean - "there is a permissive agreement all year" ? and what is a "year round spate agreement" ?

I don't understand grey statements I need either 'Yes you can', 'No you cannot' or 'Yes you can, but you need to get permission from....'
    From Glasbury, no problem, paddle all year with no further permissions required. Above that, the agreement is for the Winter period but if in flood you can paddle at other times- no one will be fishing when the river's high. Contact Pam Bell at www.mountainandwater.co.uk for details of access points and who to contact for written permission. She covers the Usk as well. A lone paddler, middle of the week is likely to be ignored on the less frequently paddled rivers whatever the agreements say.
    To be honest there is unlikely to be enough water for paddling above Glasbury in the Summer anyway.
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Thanks Chris

The Mountian and Water website has full details of the agreements and blow by blow accounts of paddling on the rivers.

Canoed they Wye several times and have found all the above sites helpful.

There is a book called "the canoeist guide to the river Wye". I think it has been mentioned on the forum before. I obtained my copy from the Tourist Office in Ross on Wye, by telephoning and giving the usual details, I don't think they even charge me postage for sending to my home.

There are a few good campsites along the way, all mentioned in the above book. Avoid the ones at Symonds Yat unless you like club houses and "fun" fairs (river right) or having your pitch turned into a car park (river left, just above the rapids).
    Alec aka Wayne