Thread: River Lune 16th December

Default River Lune 16th December

If anyones up for a white water trip I have put in a request for permission to paddle the Lune between Rigmarden and Devils Bridge. Have never paddled it before so am just going on what's on UKRGB, but it looks a pleasant section of grade 2 with no nasties. Details here http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/lunerigmaden.htm There is a limit of 8 boats and we do need to have an L3 coach with us apparently as trip leader. A pretty restrictive agreement but there it is.

If people are interested and we can mug a coach into leading us, Selena and I are planning to stay locally on the Friday night and drive home on the Saturday night, but others may want to look for another river for the Sunday. I am happy to sort accomodation out if that helps.

Obviously the sooner people can get back to me the better.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Oh B***er It

Apparently they don't do Saturdays. Too busy blasting ducks out of existence. It would have to be the 17th, Sunday.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default River Lune

Chris,
    Count Mary and I in
    Doug

I fancy this,when are you thinking of the trip.

Chris I would love to do this but I am on call that weekend.
    So put me down for a maybe at the moment and I will try to arrange a swap.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by The Laird View Post
    I fancy this,when are you thinking of the trip.
    oops obviously you've said December for a reason

Hi Chris,

I would be interested in this too. Have you any plans of who to use for a coach?

The Troughing Dormouse

Default Coach For Lune Trip

I have a possible but if there is anyone lurking out there who would like to volunteer I'm sure we we would reward them with beer in suitable quantities to make them forget their worldly worries and remember quite why it was they volunteered in the first place...
    Last edited by Chris Randall; 27th-October-2006 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris,

Looks like I can do this trip if there is space, I may bring along Gregg. Are you thinking of starting at the rawthey confluence? This would make it nearly a 10 mile paddle which makes it worth the drive. I have not done this leg so it would be worthwhile if there was lots of water. Any plans for the Saturday? Seadog it would be a good trip for you.

Paul.

Default River Lune 17th December

How about the Crake on the Saturday?

PB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Booker View Post
    How about the Crake on the Saturday?

PB
    Not sure about the Crake. Apart form the fact it is tucked away in the lakes and takes a while to get to I have another reason for not wanting to paddle it again- Selena and I swam there at the Symposium. The river was rising and we came across some trees blocking the river and didn't quite make it through! We had to abandon the trip before the last rapid as it was getting late and were becoming a bit concerned that it would be dark before we got there. Got off the river at an unauthorised access point and had a vibrant discussion with a local...

How about a river in the Dales? What about the Wharfe. Or Ure. Is the Eden too far? Not sure of the kind of river that others will want but I think we are OK with grade 2/3 as long as it's not too continuous. Any thoughts? I have little experience of Northern rivers so would welcome the views of people who know.
    It looks like we are paddling Saturday too so will people want to stay over on Frday night too? Am thinking of Ingleton or Dentdale hostels depending on availability.

If people can get back to me with ideas or preferences we can try to pull plans into a more concrete form. If veryone who has put their head above the parapet is still interested I think numbers wise we are probably at the limit for a river trip.

cheers

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Hi Paul

Paul thanks for the suggestion - I would love to do this - but I am down south that weekend - hope you all have a good trip
    Seadog

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post

How about a river in the Dales? What about the Wharfe. Or Ure. Is the Eden too far? Not sure of the kind of river that others will want but I think we are OK with grade 2/3 as long as it's not too continuous. Any thoughts? I have little experience of Northern rivers so would welcome the views of people who know.
    It looks like we are paddling Saturday too so will people want to stay over on Frday night too? Am thinking of Ingleton or Dentdale hostels depending on availability.
    How about the Ure Mickley to Sleningford for saturday.http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/ure.htm

Default River Lune 17th December

Hi Guys,

Ure is fine by me, it is better for a group of unknown abilities.

The better sections of the Wharfe you need to know the group.

Eden is as far out of the way as the Crake but it is ok. There is an access agreement that would need checking up on.

Paul B.

I'd love a stab at the Ure or Wharfe.

I know both moderately well in places, but as an angler not a paddler.

Not sure I'm free that w/e, but can check.

Jim.

I'm up for both days,just need to find camping facilities for friday/saturday night

I am now definatley on for both days. I will probably stay at home and travel both days.

Default River Lune

Chris,
    Apologies... Mary and I can't make this trip... family committments unfortunately...

Doug

Default Lune trip

If therer is space I would be up for the trip

Regards

Andrew

Sorry you and Mary can't make it Doug. I'm sure we'll meet up on the water sometime.

Is there any space left? Err maybe. I need to do the sums again. Whilst I agree with the feling that the access agreements are pants I'm reluctant to be the one that shuts one down.

I'll let you know ASAP. Pencil it in your diary.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Unfortunately I'm out

Guys if the rain keeps falling and the Yorkshire/Lancashire rivers rise any more we will be able to paddle between the Ure and the Lune.

To be serious the rivers are way up at the moment the wharfe is about to burst its banks dont know about the Ure and the Lune, but i will try to get out and have a look at them next week.

Pants

you'll not often hear a boater say this but, pray for dry weather.

I'll keep an ear out for the NW river levels via the phone line but start thinking of a plan B. I'm not going anywhere near that weir on the Ure if the levels are high.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

I think I'm knackered for that weekend anyway, now, as pre-Christmas work frenzy has now taken over my life.

Apologies to Chris and the organisers for the late notice.

I hope things dry out a tad and you all enjoy it...

Jim.

just seen this thread
    someone mention the ure on sunday or similar?
    could be up for that xmas shopping permitting
    where is the lune?
    nature is m X-box

Hi Andym,

You need to check with Chris Randall.

It is more than likely going to be the Swale on Saturday, from Grinton to Richmond or slightly above Grinton.

On Sunday the Lune, Ringmaden Bridge to Kirby Lonsdale which is the East side of the M6 Southern Lakes.

You need to be comfortable paddling on these rivers that are high at present, look at www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk for river descriptions.

Paul B.

Default Lune on Sun?

So Chris, did you find a L3 Coach for the trip? Are you still coming? Is the trip fully subscribed? I know the river well and might be up for a pootle - let me know...

Default Fickle Fate

Sorry should have replied last night.

I have been nursing a cold all week in the vain hope that I would be over it for this weekend. Just when I thought I would be well enough it has moved down to my chest. Green phlegm anyone?

Selena has reminded me that if I'm not well for our Christmas trip to Norway she may cut off my allowance- so with discretion the better part of valour I (we) are bowing out this weekend if that's OK?

Saturday I think we had decided on the Swale. Technically no limit on numbers as there is no access agreement. Hope the levels are good. We plan to get up there in March for the charity bash, let's hope there is some water.

Sunday, there is an 8 boat limit on the access agreement. I arranged a permit for the section from Rigmarden to Devil's Bridge but I think the plan is to put in up near the Rawthey confluence- please use the public footpath from the lay by, not the field. Numbers at the moment- Paul B, Mike, Sara, David B, Ian, Mike (both from Lincoln CC). Andy P and Andy M were the next to express interest but really its down to you to fight it out so to speak.

I had reserved 9 beds at Ingleton YHA for Saturday night and paid a small deposit. If you would still like to stay there, think of it as a small Christmas offering in lieu of buying you all a drink down the pub.

Really am fed up with this. Hope to see some of you at Keswick in Feb.

Cheers

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk