Thread: Autumn colours on Loch Lomond

Default Autumn colours on Loch Lomond

The forecast for Saturday was particularly good, and a ‘phone call on Friday evening from Andy rallied a family outing of four boats. (well 3 boats & a KK)

During the summer months Milarrochy Bay on the east side of Loch Lomond is ‘hoaching’ and we were stunned (and delighted) to find it almost empty on such a beautiful day.

The kids, Amanda and Fraser, love adventure in the open air, their main concern was that we had brought enough lunch!

The red (slower) canoe set off ahead of the (speedier) green ones.
    The shore slopes gently, there was much hilarity about not capsizing in 8 inches of still water!

Heading in the direction of Inchcruin, the mist slowly burned off the southern part of the Loch. We could tell it was going to be a cracking day…..

The wooded islands with a backdrop of the Luss hills in autumn colour made for a picturesque scene. It was very peaceful; the loch was almost empty of other craft.

The trees are starting to turn and in the bright sunshine they glowed.

Reflections were good, almost mirror image.

We had the beach on Inchmoan all to ourselves, yippee!

As well as playing Frisbee with the kids, we passed time playing that old Scottish game, ‘hunting for lost coins’

Couldn’t resist taking a pic of the boat, when you have so many good days it becomes one of the family!

Time for the obligatory photo of the group at feeding time,
    ‘Everybody squint into the sun please!’

Fantastically warm sun for October, little if any wind, and best of all NO JET SKIS!

Great family day out.

snowbunting

Nice bloggage with some nice photos, seems like it's safe to venture (pardon the pun) back onto Loch Lomond these days....

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Cracking Blogg with Pics to match! Had a similar experience at the Loch last Wednesday with No3 child, flat calm with the sun eventually making an appearance. I had the place to myself with no other boats to be seen.
    Stevie T

Keep the High Balls Low

Perfect conditions for a trip to the Loch. Good to see you took full advantage.
    John

What a beautiful day you had... know the beach very well at Inchmoan and lovely to see it so empty. Thank you for the lovely pictures and bringing back some great memories of my first trip on the Loch
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

A great day out, thanks for sharing
    Rich

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Great blogg, lovely pics. I drove past there last Saturday and was amazed at the colours !

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Nice photo's was out on the Loch myself with a group of sea kayaks. We camped on Inchcailloch and did a night kayak-orienteering exercise, which was great fun. Still a few people camping and a few d****heads around; I thought there was a forest fire in the narrows there were so many huge fires.

Default lomond

Great pics,great place.
    Soloman.
    It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
    Jerome.K.Jerome

Low water levels, is it normal for this time of year?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Autumn Colours on Loch Lomond

Chainsaw
    seems like it's safe to venture (pardon the pun) back onto Loch Lomond these days
    good one!
    I thought it 'flukey' to have the Loch empty, a friend reported, 'Maw Paw and the weans' all over the Arrocher hills on the same day.

Corkeye
    Nice photo's was out on the Loch myself with a group of sea kayaks. We camped on Inchcailloch and did a night kayak-orienteering exercise, which was great fun. Still a few people camping and a few d****heads around; I thought there was a forest fire in the narrows there were so many huge fires.
    Pretty sure we saw you off the end of Inchcailloch. It was a brilliant afternoon. Hope you didn't have problems camping on the island, I've heard from park wardens that in the height of summer there are a fair amount of idiots overnighting with no respect for the environment or others.
    BIG fires always scare me too! Wildlife is particularly vulnerable to the effects of fire and smoke and natural habitats that have taken years to become established can be devastated in a matter of hours.....I'm glad the west of Scotland is normally wet (well sort of glad )

TGB
    Low water levels, is it normal for this time of year?
    The pic of Milarrochy Bay seems to show low water, but it didn't strike me so. (no waves washing up the beach, and they can be quite big on a westerly wind) I have seen the loch lower, and also a lot lot higher! Balmaha slip is always a good indicator and I remember it looked 'normal'. We have had reasonably settled weather, not sunny but not dreich. As we say in Scotland, 'it won't last....we'll pay for it'
    The following weekend from our trip the weather was foul, high winds and very wet.

Below are some more pics which Andy took, the day really was superb.

Snowbunting's enjoying themselves..........

An empty Loch Lomond with Elizabeth in her new KK

Beautiful colours, even the yellow KK looks good.....

Inchmoan beach - spot the Frisbee!
    (and look at the length of the shadows, shows the strength of the sunshine.)

snowbunting

Looks like a lovely trip. Loch Lomond holds some very special memories for me and I would dearly love to back again for a few nights wild somewhere. Nice to see the Loch in autumn colours.
    Leone_blanco

Great photos! I was out there a little South of where you were on the same day, having launched from Balmaha. Had lunch on Clairinsh before paddling around the South end of Inchcailloch and on to Ellanderroch (a tiny island just off the South West tip of Inchfad). Finished up going around the North side of Inchfad and back to Balmaha.

I feel lots of people overlook Loch Lomond as being too busy and too popular but in my opinion it's still a great place to paddle in the right conditions (can be nasty on windy days though). Lots of variety and lots of islands to explore.

Pete.