Thread: Seal in Loch Lomond

Journal Entries

Default Seal in Loch Lomond

I was talking to Stuart this morning and he was paddling in Loch Lomond off of Luss at the weekend. During their trip they saw a seal. Apparently it is well known that there is at least one seal in Loch Lomond, it was a shock to me.

Does anyone know anything more about this or indeed is it common for seals to find there way into inland Lochs / lakes?

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I don't know about your seals, but a year or two ago there was a seal about 6 miles upstream on the Dart, and last month I was chatting to a chap (who is a regular dog walker along the river, and who keeps an eye out for stuff), who tells me that he saw one up river still further.

Common (or harbour) seals are happy enough in estuarine waters, maybe this is a logical extension, although what's the access from the sea like - looking at a map - pretty poor isn't it ! This one isn't another displaced exotic is it ?

Have seen seals up the Awe some years back - odd paddling to a pool after a grade III to meet a seal meandering around with you.

Other wild life met are deer crossing rivers & otters swimming alongside on my local river.

Magic
    Last edited by Alastair Seagroatt; 16th-January-2006 at 08:16 PM.

No seals but we have seen deer crossing between islands on Loch Ba

Journal Entries

like MP says There are a couple of regular seals on the Dart, the furthest up I've seen them is a mile or two down from Totnes, but a friend of mine has seen them in the weir pool. I normally see one Grey Seal around Stoke Gabriel/Bow creek and a pair of common Seals, down Dittisham way. The grey seal is very friendly and often pops up a few feet from the boat, high water, late afternoon early twighlight seems best for spotting them. Seems odd to have rolling Devon hills, cows and sheep all around and a seal for company. What sort of link is there between Lommond and the sea? does it feed to the Clyde estuary?
    K