Thread: Canoe Sail Mounting kits: For Sale.

Arrow Canoe Sail Mounting kits: For Sale.

After looking round at the price of mast foots and sailing thwarts, I decided that for what they were I could make my own. Plus I didn't want to add the extra weight of a sailing thwart to my canoe. I have been using mine now for around 5 months now and it works a treat When not in use I strap it under the seat, yoke or thwart, another advantage you can swap it between canoes with the addition of another mast foot.

So I have now made some to sell.

The kit consists of:

1) Mast foot, I have some better quality black closed cell foam for this now, I have put double sided tape onto the back of this then you need to stick the tape to the hull and then quick epoxy glue (2.50 from B&Q) the foam to the tape, if you ever want to remove it you can then just remove the tape.

2) Pole/mast mounting tube, with rubber non slip section where it makes contact with thwart/yoke and cam straps. I have purposely left the straps long for you to trim to your own length.

The pole I use is an endless river which is pretty much standard for most pole and so the kits are designed around this diameter, the sail I use is from Brookbank. (Pole & sail not included in kit)
    http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/pro...Sail_Sail_only

Price 15 including postage.

I have 4 kits now ready to go, if these go I will make some more.
    Last edited by retro; 10th-October-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Adding a bit.

Default Sail rig

Nice setup, I like!

Quick question, where do you get youe closed cell foam from? I've been looking for some but was unsure of the quality of the stuff that i could find. Your stuff looks really good,
    Regards
    Duncan

Pm sent Duncan.

The kits have an ID of 38mm and the pole I use has an OD of 32mm so you could use a section of pipe, dowel, pole whatever up to that ID and I would say go down as low as 28mm on the OD of your chosen mast.

Default Masts

One for me please Gav. After seeing yours now many times, can see how well it works and stands up to the wind.

Paul

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Smile

These look pretty neat!

I'd like one too please.

Pm sent.

Thanks,

G

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Could I have one please. PM sent

Blott

Default Me too

I'd love to buy one of these off you if they are still available - or if you make more.
    Thanks,
    Ian

The first batch have all been sold
    So at some point this week I will commence work on another batch of 4 or 5, so if you require one, just add your name to the thread and I will be in touch.

Many Thanks to the guys who have bought one so far, Paul, Gordon and Nick yours are in the post.

When doing the top strap use my second photo as a guide as to how it goes:

1) The strap's starts from the back of the tube.
    2) Passes down the side of the tube and over the top of the thwart/yoke.
    3) Under the thwart/yoke and back round the back of the tube.

Put plenty of tension on the top strap, the lower strap requires less at is only a stay.

Many thanks,

Gav.

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Mine arrive this am; many thanks Gav.

Where do you tension the bottom straps to? Around the seat?
    Have you worked out the best position for the mast foot/mast in relation to the canoe length? My Pal does not have a thwart in he same position as yours so I was going to mount off the back of the front seat: I had a similarly positioned rig on my OT Kineo which seemed to work Ok.

There is probably someone who will come forward with a physics explanation!

Cheers,

Blott

Ian yours was posted out his evening, thanks.

Brevan, you have PM.

Nick just been having a look at the Pal and I would mount it of the back of the yoke, (bow side) when in use as I think the seat would be to low, the tube would sit nicely in the curve of the yoke too.
    Another option would be the front carry handle might have to reshape the foam mast foot a bit though?
    The third option is buy an endless river ash thwart 15 and put that in ahead of the yoke.
    http://www.endlessriver.co.uk//produ...roducts_id/574
    Hope this helps.

I should have 5 more kits ready to go early next week.
    Thanks to everyone so far who has bought one.

Default sizes

Hi Gav,
    I was going to PM you this question and then I thought perhaps others might have the same question (though it may just be me, in which case no harm done )

Wally has mentioned a slightly cheaper pole than the Endless River one in this thread:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=16484
    (Pole here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminium-Open...#ht_580wt_1165)

The saving seems to be about 6, and it sounds nicely constructed. It is apparently 1 1/8", which my ruler tells me is about 28mm, which I think is your estimated minimum diameter. The Endless River one seems to be 1 1/4" (32mm). What do you think? Would it be better (in terms of making an effective mast) to cough up the extra 6?

I suppose, the ebay poles are probably lighter than the Endless River given the smaller diameter, which might be advantageous for the cross-piece - would one call it a boom. But then a snugger fit in the mast step ought to be better there. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks for the kit. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    Ian

(PS I presume the Endless River poles float, right? I liked the sound of the 'filled with foam for floatation' on the ebay ones.)

I think I tried one of those poles a month or so back it was heavier than the Endless River, this makes for better sinking, but tires you out quicker and the rounded end didn't give as much grip on rocks on the bottom when poling up the moving stuff. It was also a little shorter than the ER pole, and the following week when I paddled with the same guy whos pole it was he had an ER pole he liked mine so much and yes they do float.

If you not going to use it for poling and just a mast/boom have a look for much cheaper altenatives from the B&Q, timber merchants etc.

Default thanks

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll have a think about my options. (It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm likely to be out on the water again, so I've time to consider.)
    All the best,
    Ian

Default Thanks

Kit collected from the Post Office yesterday. Many thanks. Looking forward to trying it out now. (Just have to collect a sail and poles first.)
    Thanks,
    Ian

To the guys who ordered late last week, I got yours in the post today first class to hopefully beat the postal strike.

I have four more made up ready to go, two with the black closed cell foam mast foots, I have now ran out of this and am back to using the white foam that I have in my canoe, it actually seems denser than the black stuff. If you want one just get in touch.

Received mine today in the post. Looks fantastic, and I want to use it asap. Thanks for working on it... You could contact Endless River and sell direct to them!!... then your paddling fund will allow you to buy a brand spanking new boat.

Thanks for the positive comments Enigma, only put it in the post yesterday evening (what mail back log ) and thanks to the guys who have bought them so far.
    I have 3 ready to go at the moment and can makes some more should it be required, so if you want one just get in touch.

Thanks,

Gav.

I seen and used one of these kits and am mightily impressed how well it works for something so simple but ingenious. The plus for me is being able to remove all but the mast foot and not having to have the extra weight of an extra thwart. It stood up well to some very strong winds on Loch Ken earlier this year. I'll have one when I get a suitable canoe.
    Leone_blanco

I now have one left which I think is spoken for????
    But I will make up a fresh batch before Christmas and will also be selling separate mast foots for 5.50 inc P+P (The white ones I use) so you can swap your sailing rig between boats.

As well a the normal kit pictured at the start for 15 inc P+P I will do one with 2 mast foots included for 20 inc P+P.

If your interested in one, just stick your name on the thread with what your after or drop me a PM.

Many thanks and happy sailing to all who have bought so far

Default sail mounting kits.

hi retro, thanks for the pm, so when you get around to making some more ill have two.
    i dont live all that far from coniston, would be a good excuse to get the motorbike out to come and collect if it would make it easier.
    cheers paul.

No problem Paul will be late next week I hope
    If any one else wants one just give me a shout.

Some where, no where just hanging about in a tree near water with a canoe

Default Me too

Gav,

Put me down for one. If you have any ready before Loch Long I can pick it up from you there. If not I'll have it when it's ready.

cheers
    Ian
    ".a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows.
    The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows." - Sigurd Olson, The Singing Wilderness.

Hey Ian, been a while since I made any off these, will see what materials I have in and let you know.

Default sail mounting kit

new to the canoeing crowd ,i have a 15 ft sympthony open canoe,i have had it for about a year and half now i have only been on derwent so far ,i have been out about 8 times,the last time was a few weeks ago it was rough and windy and damm hard work,i could have done with 1 of your kits,trouble is i ain't ever used one so are they hard to use or is it a matter of trial and error.

Hi P addler, I will have to check if I have any of the foam for the mast foot if I have I will be in touch.

Also interested in you have any materials available.

Steve
    Had a great time at the Canoe Symposium 2011 - Harry Rock is now my hero.

Right have enough materials to make two mast supports but only one mast foot, so if your interested get in touch first come first served.

Creswell, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Hi do have a kit left please?

Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Hi do have a kit left please?

Sorry Terryj afraid they went last year and I am all out of high density foam for the mast foot's.
    If there was enough interest I would start making them again.

Creswell, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Ok thanks

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

If you do, I'd have one too.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

I would also like one if possible

If the list is still open, I would like a kit too.

Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus