Thread: Loading canoe on a Transporter single handed? Easy!

Default Loading canoe on a Transporter single handed? Easy!

having had a campervan for some time i wanted to be able to load / unload my old town guide 147 single handed if needed without sliding it the length of the van and damaging gunnals / seat fixing bolts by loading it from the rear of the van

i came up with this,

using some rectangular hollow bar i had left over from modding the roof bars (see http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=20217)

i fixwd a long vertical bolt through one end and covered it with padding (heat shrink) and a loose horizontal one with a butterfly nut through the other end.

with the end cap of the front bar removed the bar slides in to the roof bar as far as it will go. the loose bolt drilled through the roof bar with a butterfly nut done up hand tight holds it in place

placing the canoe alongside the van with the rear or the canoe out a bit, i place a doormat / rubber mat under the rear of the canoe to protect it when i lift the front and roll the canoe upside down

lifting the front of the canoe i place it on the extention bar. the vertical bolt with the padding stops the canoe sliding off the end of the bar and the rubber mat stops the canoe sliding lengthways.

i then lift the rear of the canoe to roof level and gently slide the canoe forward (the vertical padded bolt stops it falling off ). if there is a lip between extention and roof bar a gentle wiggle should clear it.

then swing the rear of the canoe across on to the rear bar.

then lift front of canoe across to front roof bar and un bolt remove extention bar

notes;( dont want folks hurting themselves! )

the mont blanc van bars will take a sturdy size of rectangular bar. not sure about smaller diameter car roof bars. the bars on my van are mont blanc part number CVB159HD. the length of bar outside the roof mount is vital as the extention slides into this

do not make the extention bar too long or it will put more leverage on the end of the roof bars. i drilled the securing bolt with the butterfly nut too far in from the end of the roof bar and intend to re drill it further out . it stops the end of the roof bar spreading under load.

total length of my extention bar (oo - er! missis) is 29 inches long. this seems to best suit the wide bodied old town guide 147. a narrower canoe would probably require less length. use a heavy thickness of bar

get someone to help you the first time

dont stand under the canoe when it is on the extention bar.

ps paint the end of the bar a bright colour or pad it with pipe lag foam. just tried moving it with my bonce (unintentionally!) it didnt move an inch!!

now its loaded, where shall i go this weekend?

actually, honey street on the kennet and avon canal for the weekend. sweet!!!

Last edited by twosugars; 1st-October-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo's
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

Neat idea and great photo accompaniment.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

Nice one I struggle putting two boats on my T4 fron the rear might try this as soon as I can find the bits

John
    JR

cool idea, i use a roofrack on my T4 but the principle will work the same

There is something similar going on Ebay don't how good they are though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Neil

my experience is that they are not wide enough to load a canoe. Works perfect for a kayak, but you scratch the paint from the side of the car when loading a canoe

Default T4? No problem!

I know this thread has gone quiet, but I had a dig and found this for you. It was a bit of battle to get the file size down, but as ever, easy when I was shown how...

Probably best in Fast Forward!

Regards

Pete

I'd rather drop it. Lifes too short for solutions like that!!

I like your roof rack idea but this lift thing is just too much. Your want someone to paddle your canoe for you next.
    We no nah fink

Blimey! What a carry on, the video clip that is. I would like to see him do it in the rain

Nice idea but what's wrong with using the step that I saw to give you the extra height to just slide the canoe off your shoulders?

Going back to twosugars' idea - nice one, very simple.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

That guy in the 'Kari-Tec' vid, would make a great head-librarian. I haven't met a head-librarian yet, who wasn't meticulous about technique and couldn't boil an egg, without spouting a dozen facts each on eggs, birds & energy. But couldn't figure the simple things in life. Like the fact that the rope is too long. That if he cut it, he wouldn't have to uncoil so much, just to recoil it afterwards, despite not having used 2/3s of its length. That carfully unfolding two mats and a tarp, placing them with their edges just touching but heaven forbid not overlaping, makes for really boring viewing.

I watched all the way through. Why?
    Because I have a high bordom threshhold?
    I wanted to see if he'd drop the canoe?
    I was waiting for a bird to target the spotless hull?
    I wanted to see him utilise the mass of unused rope?

No. None of these. I watched all the way through, waiting to see the dancing clown come by, for the seventh take or the ice cream van pull up, complete with the four note rendition of Ravel's Bolero or for a sudden burst of rain or for the papers to arrive, thrown over the hedge. Not that the papers normally arrive that way. Just because the guy's long suffering partner, had paid to have 20 extra papers delivered throughout the day. And had asked for at least some, to ping off the canoe, the stool, the van and the hedge. But alas, nothing interesting happened!

That guy makes the prospect of eating a whole packet of dry crackers, seem like an enjoyable adventure. Lets face it, if you compared having to do that, everytime you wanted to paddle, to standing on the trapdoor, while the hangman fiddled with the release catch. You'd be giving release-tips and offering a can of oil.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 6th-November-2009 at 10:56 AM.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

You should get a SOTP medal for that

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    That guy in the 'Kari-Tec' vid, would make a great head-librarian. I haven't met a head-librarian yet, who wasn't meticulous about technique and couldn't boil an egg, without spouting a dozen facts each on eggs, birds & energy. But couldn't figure the simple things in life. Like the fact that the rope is too long. That if he cut it, he wouldn't have to uncoil so much, just to recoil it afterwards, despite not having used 2/3s of its length. That carfully unfolding two mats and a tarp, placing them with their edges just touching but heaven forbid not overlaping, makes for really boring viewing.

I watched all the way through. Why?
    Because I have a high bordom threshhold?
    I wanted to see if he'd drop the canoe?
    I was waiting for a bird to target the spotless hull?
    I wanted to see him utilise the mass of unused rope?

No. None of these. I watched all the way through, waiting to see the dancing clown come by, for the seventh take or the ice cream van pull up, complete with the four note rendition of Ravel's Bolero or for a sudden burst of rain or for the papers to arrive, thrown over the hedge. Not that the papers normally arrive that way. Just because the guy's long suffering partner, had paid to have 20 extra papers delivered throughout the day. And had asked for at least some, to ping off the canoe, the stool, the van and the hedge. But alas, nothing interesting happened!

That guy makes the prospect of eating a whole packet of dry crackers, seem like an enjoyable adventure. Lets face it, if you compared having to do that everytime you wanted to paddle, to standing on the trapdoor, while the hangman fiddled with the release catch. You be giving release-tips and offering a can of oil.

TGB
    We no nah fink

Default But...

I like the idea of using the paddle to support the trolley. Those of us who can get away with rolling the weight of the boat and gear along a portage trail may want to copy that idea.

I think I might see what bits I can find in the shed to rest a paddle in. A sleeve for the blade might be best. At the moment I just heave and shove the trolley under...

I got bored after three minutes of that vid, can someone summarise it for me please
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I got bored after three minutes of that vid, can someone summarise it for me please
    It gets loaded. Now go eat the dry crackers.

TGB

Default Loading canoe on a Transporter single handed? Easy!

Thanks for going to the trouble for us Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    You just did

Default Loading

And then he backed over his favourite garden gnome?
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling

I would love to see him struggle with the pulley thing in an open carpark on a windy day, now that would be the video to watch.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

i gave up when he started treating the canoe like it was made of egg shell rather than incredibly tough plastic. Putting down plastic so the blankets for the canoe don't get damp so that canoe's bum doesn't get scuffed. Geez, how does he get it in the water?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Geez, how does he get it in the water?
    I dont think anyones mentioned the water bit to him yet.......

Default Water?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
    I dont think anyones mentioned the water bit to him yet.......
    No, the tide went out while he was coiling up bits of rope and folding tarps.

Another half hour unloading canoe and tidying up and it'll be tea time. Too late for canoeing today then, must try tomorrow after rearranging the teaspoon collection....
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling

Blimey what a big old waste of time that hoist thingy is in that video.

Scotty

As part of a recently sent PM from me to another... "I'm now on the search, for the a vid of the same person, putting-in & taking-out, from the side of a 4' high concrete dock. I think the two could be linked and played in a loop, as the backdrop at my funereal. Anyone who laughs or falls asleep, has to help light the pyre with a firesteel or flint or flame-thrower "

I think there could be quite a few surrounding the pyre. Unless someone gets to the first.

TGB

alas, nothing interesting happened!
    You must have missed the little white dog that trots past at 9:05!