Thread: 1st Scottish Loch

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

Default 1st Scottish Loch

Just thinking a head really but where would folks suggest for a first Scottish Loch trip, and where for a 1st camping trip.

There is just too much choice for me to recommend a single venue (though other no doubt will).

All I'd say is that if you choose a big loch, give it all due respect. I have had more scarey moments on big open water than I have on Gd3/4 rivers.

As far as camping is concerned, if you are not experienced in living with the Scottish midge, you might want to avoid the summer!

Good luck and enjoy!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

I was thinking Lock Lommond or even the Calidonian canal - stay fairly close to the shore on the big lochs. Wouldn't want to be Nessie fodder.

If you look at the Achray thread it seems good. Loch Oich away up at Laggan Lochs is sheltered and scenic with a remote eastern bank for camping. You could extend it to Fort Augustus and/or Loch Lochy.

The SCA touring guide is my first stop for Ideas.
    http://www.canoescotland.com/Default...ails&tabid=379
    My bro has been to Loch Morar and said it was amazing. Loch Ard is accessable, varied, has camping and is small and safer with the option of other lochs to join up.

Lomond has many options but can be busy and the wind can catch you unawares, it is a LARGE bit of water, unless you nip between the islands off Luss or Balmaha.

Nick
    Last edited by Scots_Charles_River; 23rd-October-2006 at 08:25 PM.

I agree with tenboats - too many options here - if you could give us some idea of the area you might want to go, the time of year, how many days you'll spend and an idea of your canoe experience you might get more response.

If its your first trip up here i'd be inclined to choose a loch where you arent going to run the risk of becoming wind bound - i.e. choose a loch that has access either all the way along one shore or at least access at both ends. The comments on the larger lochs are worth taking on board as well - you'd be amazed how big waves can get given the right/wrong direction.

Default Loch Trip

I used to live in Killin at the head of Loch Tay. Excellent loch for a circumnavigation, 38 miles round, with plenty of fab places to camp, and the odd pub for a few light ales. Like the most of the West Coast Lochs, get there before mid May to avoid the midgy madness.
    Other great trips are Rannoch, Achray, West to East along the Caledonian Canal (wind dependant), and for the experienced, around the Ardnamurchan peninsula.