Thread: The only Lake in Scotland

Default The only Lake in Scotland

It's official. Scotland only has one lake (the rest are all lochs). About time somebody checked it out for SOTP then!

The Lake of Menteith is situated at the edge of the Trossachs. It's a small-ish piece of water surrounded by farmland (which was at one time mostly marsh land known as Flanders Moss). The most common theory on why it's a lake and not a loch is that the name is a corruption of the word 'Laich', meaning 'low place' in Gaelic. The perfect place for a bimble with Alan and Tenboats!

After a brief paddle around the edge of the lake, we headed to the small wooded island of Inchmahome for lunch.

This island is a popular with tourists visiting Inchmahome Priory via a small passanger ferry. This is a ruined Augustinian priory, notable for having once been a place of refuge for the young Mary Queen of Scots.

The lake is also famous as Scotland's leading rainbow trout fishery, and though we did our best to keep out of the way of the anglers, we did receive some colourful language from one passing boat. In fact, I'm sure the words 'Hello Sailor' were mentioned . Tenboats of course was far too cool to let any of this bother him.......

All too soon, it was time to head back. The only problem was that none of us could remember where we'd left the cars, the road being completely obscured by trees! Luckily Alan had his wits about him, and soon had us back home - just as the heavens opened.

Thanks for a great day guys, and thankyou Tenboats for lending me 10% of your collection for the afternoon .

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Nice!!

So which of Tony's fleet did you get to try and how did you find it?
    John

Nice photos. A good close trip for me, in my new Charles River.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    So which of Tony's fleet did you get to try and how did you find it?
    Tenboats kindly lent me his Wenonah Solo Plus - and a very fine canoe it is too! Tried googling for a bit more info on it, but all I found was a SOTP 'wanted' thread from tenboats. I guess he managed to get hold of one then? .

I can't give any sort of expert opinion, but I did enjoy the paddle. I had some trouble with her pulling to the right (my paddle side) in a cross-wind, but as soon as I took tenboats' advice and moved 6" aft, she behaved beautifully. Definitely more sensitive to trim than my Prospector. Also seemed to paddle better flat than leaned over (no need to do that I guess!), so I would love to try again tandem. If you want a proper opinion though, you'd best ask Tenboats!!

Cheers,

Blutack.

P.S. Nick - there are a fair few SOTP'ers in the Central Belt, with trips happening most weekends (see meetings section). Do join us if you can!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Well, in my opinion this canoe is so good I intend to get another one, this time in Kevlar.

The point about paddling flat rather than leaned over is a good one. A correctly designed boat does not need to be leaned. All the leaning says to me is that the hull profile and width is all wrong, so I had better lean it over to improve matters! If you have to radically change the waterline of the canoe to get it to work then clearly the original waterline was rubbish, otherwise you wouldn't do it would you?

When paddling wide tandems solo leaning is required to reach the water, but then you are paddling a tandem boat outside its design brief (unless it is a Solo+ of course: its design brief was to work both ways).

There are of course WW techniques that require a lean irrespective of hull design. My comment above are directed mainly at flatwater.

Anybody who paddles mainly flatwater with some easy rivers Gd1 to 2 should look carefully at a Solo+. It will give good efficiency on the flat and with a little skill will cope with river running (but not river play). It also poles well enough on easy water.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

P.S. Nick - there are a fair few SOTP'ers in the Central Belt, with trips happening most weekends (see meetings section). Do join us if you can!
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's SOTPers ?

Solo .......

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's SOTPers ?

Solo .......

Nick

members of Song of the Paddle i would assume.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Aye, just worked that oot ! Doh.

Thought it was an acronym for Solo paddling.....

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    Anybody who paddles mainly flatwater with some easy rivers Gd1 to 2 should look carefully at a Solo+. It will give good efficiency on the flat and with a little skill will cope with river running (but not river play). It also poles well enough on easy water.
    I had the pleasure to watch someone calmy dance one down CT playing in all the eddies on some good grade 3+. Not that this is what they are designed for of course and a level of control well beyond my abilities - but it was lovely to watch.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

I'm always up for a challenge! Obviously I'm not working my Solo+ hard enough, so at the next opportunity I'll see what we can do.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2