Thread: DD fronline Hammock review

Default DD fronline Hammock review

I bought one of the "New" DD Frontline Hammocks a few days ago, Thought I'd drop a quick review on here.
    I need to point out at this stage that this is the first hammock that I've owned. Iíve always been a tent camper but recently, Iíve been finding Iíve not been getting a good nightís sleep anymore (Iím a side sleeper). Anyway, I ordered the hammock from the online shop no issues there. Received an automated email with expected delivery times, thought that it was being a bit optimistic (troubles with the CZ postage system in the past). Hammock arrived exactly as it said in the mail.

Got the package home and like every 32 year old small child, proceeded to rip the packaging off much to the amusement of SWMBO. At this point I should probably point out that I live in a flat in Prague, there is a decided lack of tree's in the immediate area. So, nice shiny new hammock and nowhere to hang it, I decided that the front balcony might just be long enough, not too sure if it will be strong enough or not but as I didn't have many other choices, I decided to go for it (with reassurances to SWMBO, "Of course the railings are strong enough")

First Impressions out of the bag.
    Quality seems to be up to scratch, found a slight imperfection on the mozzie net where itís stitched for the supports. Not too sure about the "Webbing" that came with it (looks a bit rubbish).

Easy to put up, if youíre not going to be needing the mozzie net then just hang it upside down (suggestion stolen from somewhere else).
    Having read quite a bit on here and elsewhere in regard to hanging hammocks I decided to hang it quite tight. With a bit of a breeze blowing I could feel the need for some insulation under me.
    Spent a very relaxing evening with a good book and a large single malt.
    On to a larger test, a weekend at the in-laws weekend house. This time sleeping in it for the night, much to the amusement of everyone else (enter horror stories of wild boars getting into the garden in the night)
    Once again, trouble finding a place to hang it. Decided on a nice space between a plum tree and an apricot tree, only one slight problem, the apricot tree seems to be infected and not doing too well (time for a bit of umming and arring as to waking in the night on my ample backside). Decided to chuck caution to the wind and just go for it.
    Hammock up, tarp over the top, carry-mats inserted (nice idea) and mozzie net tensioned to the ridge line of the tarp (not too tight or you can damage the mozzie net).

I have to admit I had a great nightís sleep, I slept with the sleeping bag unzipped and found that with the carry-mats inserted I had ample insulation (carry mats didnít move during the night), I would now have no issues with sleeping out in this in the colder months. Lying there reading my book in the evening (has a handy loop for hanging a light from, side pockets for glasses, hip flask and knife in case of boar attack) I was really glad for the mozzie net as I could see the little buggers circling ready for the attack.
    I not only managed not to get gored by any marauding boars during the night, I woke with no bites and in a really good mood. Iím a convert. The only thing that I am going to change is those webbing straps that came with it. I found that they caught on everything, and were a real pain in the posterior. Looks like camping in the future will be me in my DD and the Mrs in the tent with the little one
    Overall Impressions.
    Iím very happy, easy to order, good communication from the supplier. Product quality is good (just a couple of niggles, but I suspect that thatís more me). Iíd defiantly go back again.

Thanks (sorry for the length).
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

Anyone know what the difference is between the DD Frontline and the older DD Travel?
    Get Outdoors in Northern Ireland
    www.ni-wild.co.uk

Default thanks mate

hey thanks for posting the review
    i just recieved one of these, and ive only tried it out in the garden,
    will be doing a proper test on it next week with a wild camp,
    will let you know how i go on,
    heres my wife testing it out...
    did you use thin bungee cord to suspend the mozzie net?
    it allows for any movement without stretching the net...

regards
    keith

Quote Originally Posted by SBreen View Post
    Spent a very relaxing evening with a good book and a large single malt.
    i like your test setup

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    Anyone know what the difference is between the DD Frontline and the older DD Travel?
    if you look at the DD website: frontline has the zip connecting the mozzie net to the hammock on both sides, travel only on one side. sounds like that's the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    I think the frontline has zips on both sides of the midgie net and I'm not sure about this but they recently introduced a waterproof base to their hammocks so you could bivvy on the ground in them. Depending on the year of your travel hammock you might not have this feature.

Another trick for protecting the midgie net is to use quick a thin, easily broken, twig so if your tapes do stretch during the night or something else causes the netting to stress, the twig breaks rather than the midgie net.

nice reviews!!

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Thank you for posting your reviews and photos. I have been thinking about converting to a hammock.

Yet another item to add to my wish list. I shall be waiting to read the report after they have been tested out in the real world. I may not wait till then and just get one. I just hope the wife is not reading this . I hope they are small enough to be stowed (hidden) away. I can see the wife liking it and me being stuck in the tent.....Should I get two just in case?

I like the tip about using a light weight twig to protect the mozzie net from being stressed too much.

Is the tarp big enough to provide enough shelter for hammock and small amount of kit? Or in the fullness of time a bigger tarp required?

This site is excellent, so much useful info. The only problem on my part is that work gets in the way and such a long wish list, gets longer with each visit back to the grind stone. Okay another five minutes reading first
    A Bad Day On The Water Still Beats A Good Day At Work

Quote Originally Posted by boiledbeef View Post
    did you use thin bungee cord to suspend the mozzie net?
    Hi Keith, I used the thin shock cord that came with it and tie that to a thin twig as Chainsaw recommends. One thing that I have found, is that to support a lamp from the hanging points the shock cord needs to be quite tight which kind of makes it a bit redundant.....

Fruitloop, I bought the 3x3 tarp from them at the same time and I've been using that, but I have just splashed out on one of the lightweight tarps that MK's been flogging, the idea being keep the DD one for sleeping under and use the SOTP one for a living area.

Now I just need to get my hands on some snakeskins and an outer quilt preferably without SWMBO finding out

Simon
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

DD now sell their own version of snakeskins and they are pretty good and cheap as well!

I bought one and it works a treat.
    If a man opens his mouth to speak and there is no woman around, is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SBreen View Post
    Now I just need to get my hands on some snakeskins and an outer quilt preferably without SWMBO finding out

Simon
    hi simon
    which outer quilt will you get?
    i was thinking of making one out of a sleeping bag,

Quote Originally Posted by boiledbeef View Post
    hi simon
    which outer quilt will you get?
    i was thinking of making one out of a sleeping bag,
    Hi BB,
    To be honest I don't know at the moment, I've been doing a bit of pricing up and i think that 60+ pounds + postage to CZ is a bit steep. I have an old sleeping bag that I might try to modify. Failing that it might have to be another thing on the Christmas list (Just next to the kelly kettle and just above the new delta ranger).

Cheers Simon
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka