Thread: Snubbed on the River Awe

Default Snubbed on the River Awe

We were on the River Awe on Sunday and encountered some very low water levels. (Low for the Awe that is, everything was running bar the Graveyard).

Whilst waiting for the shuttle I warmed up by poling about at the barriage. When the drivers got back and on the water I decided to hang on to the pole for a while.

I ended up snubbing down the whole river to Loch Etive! Okay, so I did sit down and use a paddle on 3 of the burly bits, but this only amounted to about 250m of paddling.

I had one swim at the Graveyard (the meter drop, swam for about 10m) and one wet exit / reentry. This doesn't really count as a swim ??? I never lost contact with the boat, and was back in it, still poling within about 5 seconds. I did get a bloody lip for my efforts though.
    The others lined down the R bank at the Graveyard, but paddled the rest (with no swims).

On arrival at Loch Etive I went sailing for an hour or so, thus using up the rest of the virtually paddle free day.

Okay, so somebody is going to tell me that they have poled all the way up, and snubbed all the way down, including the grade3 bits. I still feel dead chuffed with my efforts, especially as snubbing is something I find very hard to do.

Trouble is, now I have one less excuse for not running a river. Too low? Get the pole out!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

The only thing that I' can't get my head around is how you snub down river without either the boat dissappearing from under you or dislocating a shoulder.

it's something I plan to try but any hints appreciated

Rich

I'm impressed and that's a beautiful area for a swim. I'm very jealous.

<clicks heels together> There's no place like the west coast, there's no place like the west coast......damn, I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    The only thing that I' can't get my head around is how you snub down river without either the boat dissappearing from under you or dislocating a shoulder.

it's something I plan to try but any hints appreciated

Rich
    Both these things happen, but reading the river helps a lot. You can really move the boat about with a pole, so making use of eddies that you wouldn't normally be able to get. You also take a different line from the paddlers so the whole thought process is different.

On the injury note, snubbing has accounted for 100% of my paddling trauma injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post

On the injury note, snubbing has accounted for 100% of my paddling trauma injuries.
    You make it sound so attractive!

Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    You make it sound so attractive!
    But paddling has accounted for 98% of my capsizes

I forgot to say that I did put a little bend in the end of my pole. Any suggestions as to the best way to straighten it? I thought a huge arrow straightener might work, but I guess they haven't been made in that kind of size since the seige wars in the middle ages!

straighetening - Reverse a plumbers bend tool, carefully placing the bend at the right start point.
    Afterwards add a little annealling (wave a blow torch over it to warm it up)

Philip