Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake District weekend in early 2007

Default Lake District weekend in early 2007

Hi all,
    I've been thinking for a while that it might be nice to have a meet at Ennerdale Water in the Lake District. To canoe here you need permission from the Forestry Commission to use the track to access the lake, so I thought I would sound people out to see if there was any interest - if there is, I'll write to the forestry commission to get the permission (I've spoken to forestry staff while in the area in the past and they seemed to think there's not problem getting permission as long as you ask nicely

Anyway, plan would be for a Fri evening to Sunday afternoon meet, staying at High Gillerthwaite Camping Barn (location here, details here), which has the benefit of a shower, electric lighting, and a log burning stove, as well as a few seperate sleeping areas. It has 14 bed spaces at £6pppn.

I was thinking about February. There would be potential for some poling (I think) at the east end of the lake as it's shallow and stony, and there's a river here too that's also shallow and stony. There's also good walking in the area if the weather's too bad to canoe.

If you would tentatively be interested, please reply - if I get a reasonable number of replies I'll get permission for access.

Cheers,

Amelia
    Last edited by Amelia; 16th-October-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: links went weird

sounds good to me
    nature is m X-box

yes. sounds good. bound to be chomping at the bit by then
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

count me in on this one

Great - sounds like there'll be some takers I'll start sorting out the access.

Yes from me to some or all

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

I am definitely interested in this trip

Thumbs up

Me too!

I don't need any pursuading for a trip to the lakes!

The sooner I book the time off the better though.

Roly.

I would be up for this ..
    Seadog

Default I'd love to come on this too...

If the timing suits I'll be there!

Jac <)

Hi Amelia
    hope you are feeling better.
    The girls and myself would probably be up for this.
    Be nice to get together again.
    Cheers
    Roy

Default me too please

i'd definately be interested on that trip
    simes

Post Lakes trip 2007

I'm interested in this trip.
    Aslan

Journal Entries

me too!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

have you got a date for this Amelia? Need to book the time

Jerry

count me in.

crocbait

there seems to be a lot if interest in this at the moment, other options for camping might need to be arranged as I think the barn only sleeps 14.

this is a good site about 20mins away,but then I would say this,my mum lives here for most of the year!

http://www.seacote.com/

Date depending I am interested. The earlier we get a date sorted the better.

I would prefer a tent to the barn myself. My snoring wakes the dead, not the best way to win friends.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

With so many people interested I'm going to adapt the original plan. So here are the final details (unless anyone can think of a really good reason to change them...). Ennerdale and Wastwater, my potential paddles, are both suited to small groups, so I've decided to move it to a different area of the lakes, and base in a campsite rather than a camping barn.

Main meet dates: Fri Feb 9th (evening) to Sun Feb 11th.
    Accommodation: Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club Site, on the edge of Derwent Water. We can launch from the campsite and walk into Keswick to find a warm pub! For anyone who would still like to stay in a camping barn, there are a few near Keswick, info here. Each morning you'll meet us at the campsite.

Paddling:
    Beginners and experienced paddlers welcome!
    DAY 1: Derwentwater. If there is a large group, some people could paddle the river Derwent instead, but there will definitely be the option to only paddle the lake for less experienced paddlers. If people were interested and brought some suitable bits and bobs there would be the option to play with doing some downwind sailing, etc, as well as just a scenic paddle round the lake. We'll launch from the campsite.
    DAY 2: Thirlmere. I've not paddled here before and it's one of the much lesser used lakes, so it should be a good opportunity to explore it.

Additional paddling:
    I'm going to be around the Lakes doing some walking and some canoeing from Sat 3rd, so if anyone else is going to be there for longer let me know and we can organise some other paddles.

If you want to come:
    Reply to this post. Let me know where you plan to stay, whether you would prefer the river or lake on the Saturday, and whether you'd like to paddle on any days the week preceding the meet. DO NOT BOOK THE CAMPSITE - they are not accepting bookings for next year before November as they're currently upgrading their system.

Default sorry I am out on that date

Sorry Amelia

I can't do W/E starting 9th as I am down south for work

Seadog

Count me in, if you'd be so kind.

Jim.
    Last edited by JimH; 25th-October-2006 at 01:18 PM.

put me down as well,I'll be paddling solo,but there will be two of us camping.

Default Definitely will be coming...

Hoping to persuade my daughter to come along too...

I fancy the river paddle.

Jac

Count me in as a definate maybe (Wont know my shift pattern till late December)
    I would definatley paddle the river derwent on the Saturday if anyone else is thinking of doing the river to Bassenthwaite they will rquire a permit to paddle on Bassenthwaite, These are available on the day from the tourist office in Keswick.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

OK I'm in for this one -

Jerry

Thumbs up

Count me in.

Will probably come over early Saturday, as its only a couple of hours from home and I'm a really early riser, so only camping on the Saturday night. May persuade one of my boys to come along as well. Probably just do the lake trips, but could be persuaded.

Will try not to crash the car on this trip.
    Aslan

Talking Sounds good

I'd be up for it if I can ie at weekend or in hols

Whoops just saw the dates - Count me in!!

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by climb_paddle_play; 25th-October-2006 at 11:35 PM. Reason: mistake
    There is nothing—
    absolute nothing—half so much worth
    doing as simply messing about in boats.

Yes please.
    Will be two of use, my oldest son (17). Up for the river, although experiance limited (paddled the Wye several times).

Regards
    Alec aka Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Count me in as a definate maybe (Wont know my shift pattern till late December)
    I would definatley paddle the river derwent on the Saturday if anyone else is thinking of doing the river to Bassenthwaite they will rquire a permit to paddle on Bassenthwaite, These are available on the day from the tourist office in Keswick.
    Here are 2 sources of info for the river
    the first mainly written with kayaks in mind
    The second a blogg from a trip early this year

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/d...rwentwater.htm
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=539

Default Lakes

we would like to come too! any coaching going on? We need to spend some time observing and maybe helping out to build up experience for our log books. Think we may end up staying at the YHA though.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Please count me in for this weekend, 1 camping and canoeing.

Cheers

Jon

Please count me in

crocbait

me please unless delayed by ww3
    long time since i winter camped
    may have to bring mountain kit just in case fells in top condition(dont get much of that these days)
    andy
    nature is m X-box

Sounds like a biggish meet, will try to make at least one of the paddles and will most likely bring a few with me , keep us updated

thanks

Hi Amelia

I've just been informed about the weekend your organising and i would like to participate I would prefer to paddle the lake and would camp on the camping and caravaning club site .

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

I'd like to come as well. Just check I'm not working.

Camping and paddling

Looks Like I'ts going to be a huge meet please count me in and probably Lee B aswell.looking forward to meeting up with you lot again cheers for now Mike B...
    My son Lee B has just confirmed he will definately be up for it.
    You only have the one life so live it

I have to say that when I originally posted I did think 'camping in the lakes in feb? No one will be up for that'. How wrong I was.

I'll have to go through the thread and count up exactly how many people have signed up so far

count me in if i can get the time off work should be fun to do the river again

looks like I'm on call out that weekend, so I'll have to cry off.

Richard and I will be there. i have moved a bushcraft course so I can make it.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Hi Amelia, Count me in aswell subject to getting the time off work which shopuld be ok.
    Leone_blanco

Forgot to mention I will be camping, not fussed over river or lake, I dare say the lake would be more suitable for a large group though.
    Leone_blanco

looks like I can make it now as well. I'd better dust my tent off.

Default And Me

Count me in please - very much the beginner but been out on Derwentwater a couple of times. Just me, canoe and tent. By the way I'm a C&CC member and love the Keswick site

I maybe tempted to try the river derwent but have no experience on moving water so may take advice when i get there on what to do.

Default ? Booking

Hi Amelia,
    Do we need to do anything in the way of booking on the camp site or is it just a matter of turning up?
    Aslan

Default lakes

hi me, wife, and possibly acouple of friends will be there we are also c&c members see you al there

Default Lakes Meet

Amelia

Only just joined SoTP site as a member, trip in Feb to Lakes looks excellent - I only hope I am not too late to join the event. If invite is still open then please count me in for camping and canoeing, either lake or river. May be just me unless I can persuade family to come along as well, will know exact numbers closer to the date. Cheers
    Riverain

Smile New member - is it possible to join in with this trip

Hello there

I am new to the site and interested in getting into this open canoing lark - would it be possible to join your Lakes weekend - Amelia it sounds like there are an awful lot of takers.

I have done around 9 days open canoing so far - including a guided descent of the River spey in Sept 06. I love the idea of multi day journeys but need to learn / have some company - and buy a boat eventually I guess.

Do you know of somewhere in Keswick where I can hire a boat, unless someone has a boat I can share??

cheers and hoping to see you in feb

Jenny from Darlington

All - I'll be posting more details in a few days, buts its possible there might be a change of venue to a different campsite nearby. The site had told me they would take bookings for feb after november and should have spaces for people to just turn up, but apprently they are now not taking bookings for tents, and say the pitches are weather dependent. I've got some details of a different campsite quite close, so will give them a call and see what I can do. The meet will definitely still go ahead though Should post more by the end of the week.

Jenny - It'd be great to see you at the meet. There are places you can hire a canoe around that area, but you'd be more than welcome to paddle tandem with me (I'll be bringing a pyranha ranger 16).

Quote Originally Posted by jennyh View Post

Do you know of somewhere in Keswick where I can hire a boat, unless someone has a boat I can share??
    Jenny if you do not want to go tamdem. I can always bring a spare canoe, if you do not want to hire one

crocbait
    Love lots trust few always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    All - I've got some details of a different campsite quite close, so will give them a call and see what I can do. The meet will definitely still go ahead though Should post more by the end of the week.
    Amelia if all else fails you could try here.http://www.hollowsfarm.co.uk/field_group.htm
    It is right by the side of the upper Derwent at Grange. the only problem is its not in easy walking distance of a pub.

Smile Upper Derwent and Thirlmere

Hi,

Derwent:

I posted a thread in the 'places' section in December and was asked by Ukrols, DaveB and andym if I might be attending this shin-dig.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=2591

I will be paddling the upper derwent on saturday (providing water levels are OK) and any whom happen to be about I would be happy to meet up with. Will look at this thread closer to the time and let people know movemements if interested.

I warn people now - I do not do 'conventional' strokes as I was self taught, so my technique is amatuer to say the least - help on proper strokes would be welcomed!

Thirlmere:

I am sure that you know this already and don't wish to seem patronising (so don't hate me if this sounds bad), just want the day to be good:

Thirlmere is an exellent paddle but please make sure water levels are high or you have a very awkward walk down the reservoir sides to the water.

The free parking is on the western side and form the middle to the northern sections - access is also best from here.

You are not allowed to land on the islands at any time!

Advisable to phone UU (United Utilities) before going as the lake could be closed for operations.

Other than that try not to paddle over the dam!!

Cheers,

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Default Thirlmere

This link takes you to the United Utilities site and shows the planned closures resulting from the current forestry work.

http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=837&ID=1269
    Aslan

if my sums are right there could be over 20 people going to this meet.
    its only a suggestion, but how about incorporating a mini sale, a sort of bring your kit you want to sell ( you know ,the paddle you bought but didnt really need, the extra hammock, you couldnt resist, the old pfd now you have up graded etc etc). it would be good for relative newcomers to get good priced kit/lots of advice/ trial runs/size checks etc,it would also help sellers(i'm getting rid of some kit this weekend dear heart so i have to go )
    it would have to very informal of course

just a thought and the fact that im looking for another paddle has nothing to do with it
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    if my sums are right there could be over 20 people going to this meet.
    its only a suggestion, but how about incorporating a mini sale, a sort of bring your kit you want to sell ( you know ,the paddle you bought but didnt really need, the extra hammock, you couldnt resist, the old pfd now you have up graded etc etc). it would be good for relative newcomers to get good priced kit/lots of advice/ trial runs/size checks etc,it would also help sellers(i'm getting rid of some kit this weekend dear heart so i have to go )
    it would have to very informal of course

just a thought and the fact that im looking for another paddle has nothing to do with it
    Or the fact that you are in need of picking up some 'stabelisers/ outriggers' Mind you with our legendery bushcraft skills we could probably whittle one out of a tree.... I'll bring me swiss army knife
    Leone_blanco

Hi
    we're coming up on the Thursday pm and staying at the YHA in Borrowdale. If anyone is up for an easy paddle on the Friday let us know. We'll probably move to Derwentwater hostel for the Saturday , staying until Monday before heading off to do some birdwatching somewhere. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Keswick

Hi Amelia.

Hubby & I are interested in this trip. We have a beat up transit for accommodation and have been looking fwd to exploring DW for a while. We have just found this site and are fairly new to paddling. Just making a sail for our boat so you can all have a laugh when we try it out!

Cheers... Tina K

Default up for that.

Hey Amelia,

I would love to come on your canoe caper. I will probably be bringing a mate of mine, too. We will be camping on the club grounds in Keswick on the Friday and Saturday night. We are both newbies to river running but would love to have a go at the Derwent.

Hopefully see you all there,

regards,
    Stavros.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast