Thread: September trip on the River Clyde

Default September trip on the River Clyde

This was my first trip with SOTP members. I met up with Tenboats and Nikki on a wet and windy Sunday morning at the takeout point at Crossford and with the river reading just below one on the gauge, the best level for weeks, we headed up to the put in above Hazelbank so we could do Triple Falls.

There was enough water to run the falls quite comfortably. All the options were open on the middle fall so I went down river left, while Tenboats and Nikki both went down the right over the ledge. The last section of the falls were very pleasant with lots of standing waves and some stoppers all the way down to Hazelbank Park.

We paddled at a very leisurely pace messing about at every opportunity, and as I had never tried poling before, Tenboats aka Tony gave me a crash course - which went really well as I didn't fall in, much to my surprise! We spent quite a bit of time playing in the stopper at Crossford Bridge which was a really nice level for surfing, and even with the stopper claiming one victim it didn't spoil the fun.

Even though it was quite a wet trip, as the heavens did open up at times it was thouroughly enjoyable with Tony and Nikki being great company. Thanks again for a great day out guys.

Dougie.

We are looking forward to the next time too . Glad you enjoyed the poling!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2