Thread: loch awe

Default loch awe

spent sunday up ben cruachan & thought that loch awe looked like it would be good for a paddle and after seeing the blog on loch awe thats made my mind up so planning a trip this sunday if anyone wants to come along.
    when they say it can,t be done do it anyway

I'm out at a wedding on Saturday night but I might still be able to make it. Are you going to the Castle?
    John

I learned to canoe on the River Awe...brilliant white water ....but I've never paddled the loch...Hmmmm

Cheers,
    Toddy

I cancelled the proposed autumn Loch Awe clean-up trip since only one other person showed an interest. With all this renewed interest in the loch however I might re-schedule it for the Spring...

Can't make this weekend though - off to Loch Maree instead.

Default Loch Awe /river Orchy

We were on the loch this weekend and it was flat calm only windy and wet through the night. All the large islands had wee groups of anglers and canoeists on them some very clean and some messy but as there were only three of us we sneaked on a wee island to get peace. There was evidence of bushcraft type stuff going on with shelters being built and wood being cut. The island we were on had a turf thatched shelter lashed with string. Surely this is litter and not "no trace camping". We cleared the fire of tin cans. On the river Orchy we found lots of golf balls I mean lots in an eddy on the river where they seem to collect having gone in upstream at the nine hole course. I handed them in to the club on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I'm out at a wedding on Saturday night but I might still be able to make it. Are you going to the Castle?
    i don,t have plans yet as i was waiting to see interest but i would imagine we would take in the castle .

We will both be along on Sunday . Will give you a call by the end of the week

Alan

Looks like I am unlikely to make it on Sunday. We've got visitors coming for a few hours and I need to be back for 3pm. Not much chance of that if I go for a paddle at Loch Awe
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Looks like I am unlikely to make it on Sunday. We've got visitors coming for a few hours and I need to be back for 3pm. Not much chance of that if I go for a paddle at Loch Awe
    Make the paddle in in your head MK, it'll nearly be the same.

Last edited by monkey_pork; 4th-October-2006 at 06:52 PM. Reason: inability tomake ev enshor tsente ncesmak esense this evening ?

never mind john you may have time to go for a paddle on loch lomond

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    never mind john you may have time to go for a paddle on loch lomond
    If not there is Castle Semple Loch
    John

since the forecast for sunday isnt very good i,m going to give this trip a miss and maybe have a camp later on .i,ll still be going for a paddle but a little closer to home maybe loch lubnaig thanks for the interest.

Default Southern Softies

Spare a thought for us southern softies as we watch a thread develop for a paddle on a vast loch or challenging wild river with just a few hours notice! I'm sat in Portsmouth and the 'big country' is 10 hours and a month of intricate planning away!!!! Never mind, watching your threads gives me hours of day dreaming. I'm canoeing the Spey and Loch Quioch in October and Loch Veyatie and River Polly over New Year, so not all doom and gloom.

our plans fell through but i,m sure you will have a great time i think i,m going on the canal later as its on my doorstep seems a shame not to use it

I was laying a wooden floor overlay yesterday and about today will be sanding and staining it so no canoeing for me either. Still Loch Achray for a few days next weekend.
    John