Thread: Meeting you meeting me aha

Default Meeting you meeting me aha

Hi yíall

Iíve been following the forum for a while now and decided to sign up.
    I have been interested in open canoes and the prospect of journeying for some while but never got round to doing anything about it as I had got involved in Off Road Driving Trials.
    Retired(early) and poorer now, also Land Roverless, so canoeing came back to the fore and I bought my Mad River Horizon 15 a year and a half ago.
    I am a flat water paddler at the moment and go out on my own most of the time and occasionally tandem when friends come to visit me up here in the wilds of the north west. I have no urge to be a hairy white water paddler but some moving water will be on the cards as I gain more experience and get fitter.

I have kayaked a little many moons ago. When I was at university someone conned me into entering the Welsh National Slalom at Llandysul telling me it was a flat water event. Yes I used to be gullible and they didn't tell me it was a national event. Unfortunately on my first practice run I capsized before passing the starting point and decided it was too exciting for me and bailed out. My only claim to fame was that the boat I was paddling was seen on TV the next day, upside down and empty passing under the bridge. I was upstream scambling out of the water!

My user name Quercus was the first thing that came to mind when registering. I used to work in forestry research and Quercus is the latin name for the oak. Iím otherwise known as Martin but I had noticed that someone is already registered under that name.

Happy Chatting
    Q

Welcome

Is there a lot of Lochs where you are or are you a sea paddler? I asked the same question of Aquanaut as I just tend to think of the islands as having no lochs on them but of course when I looked at his location on the Googlemap I see he is surrounded by Lochs
    John

Default Skye

Here on Skye there arenít many accessible inland lochs, a couple of reasonable size connected by a short river form part of a small hydro scheme in the north of the island. To circumnavigate these close to the shore gives a 12km outing plus there are sometimes otters to see.
    There are a number of sea lochs which give some sheltered canoeing. You can take your pick depending on the wind direction and probably find a calm patch.
    Of these Iíve paddled on Loch Slappin and Loch Greshornish (thereís an excellent campsite right on the shore http://www.skyecamp.com/)
    Personally I like inland lochs but the sea lochs are fine when very calm.

Q

Default Skye a magical place

Hi there Quercas,

Nice place Skye. Alan and I visit Skye at least once a year or more. We are usually up in the Cuillins though.
    We were over in Skye - Sconser last October but it was too wild and windy for the canoe typical Skye weather.As the site for Loch Greshornish says the sunsets are truly wonderful. What I like is there is no in the atmosphere from big urban towns so the night skies can be really clear.

I quite like the idea of a paddle at Loch Brittle. Alan is a bit more adventurous and Loch Scavaig from Elgol would be nice (weather permitting ) of course. We've been softies and went on a recce in the Bella Jane.

Skye is definately on our agenda this year I have one Munro left to climb Sgurr nan Gillean. Loch Coruisk is among one of many stunning landscapes in Skye - Hell of a portage though.

Maybe meet up with you in Skye

Yours Mutineering Maggie

Default buy one get one free

Oops

Sorry!
    yours the Mutineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie
    Oops

Sorry!
    yours the Mutineer.
    Fixed now
    John