Thread: Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones

Default Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones

Anyone managed to see the first episode of Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones last night (BBC iPlayer link)

Really nice to see the countryside that is virtually on my doorstep and a bonus that the kids asked to go to the Crannog on Loch Tay when I have been trying to persuade them for the last 6 months.

I personally found the program interesting and I am looking forward to the next episode as are the kids. They are already planning on me taking them camping in a couple of weeks somewhere I can hire a canoe (probably south Loch Lomond).

Richard

Thumbs up

It was a good bit of TV I thought. Hopefully the mention of the pi$$poor access in the lower states of the UK will raise a few non-paddling eyebrows.

It's almost a geographical prequel to 'Coast'...

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

I enjoyed it too, missed the very start, but I don't think that involved any canoeing, so that's ok.

Surprised there is not more mention of the programme on here though. I was going to post that it was oon, but the computer was off and I thought lots of others would have given a 'heads up'.

I enjoyed it, missed the first 30 secs as Top gear finnished a tad later.

It reminded me of the show on Anglia tv called Secret Rivers (http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...=secret+rivers).

Same format source to sea, but done better with better paddling ability and of course the lack of paddling rights for the rest of us
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Looks like it's going to be a brilliant series. Did Griff take an unscheduled swim during the tandem paddling sequence?
    Jim

In a place with a TV at the mo'. I thought well presented with a balanced blend of seriousness and humour. And wasn't he cold when he got out of the water.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I enjoyed it. Don't think he swam on the Grandtully rapids, surely they wouldn't have missed screening the shot if he had?

Perhaps the remark to the effect that "you are allowed to canoe down the river whether the landowner wants you to or not" was just a bit unnecessarily provocative, what do others think?

Will watch the rest of the series with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Perhaps the remark to the effect that "you are allowed to canoe down the river whether the landowner wants you to or not" was just a bit unnecessarily provocative, what do others think? ...
    If we don't rock the boat, things will stay the same. Then what hope of things changing.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default GRJ not that bad.

I sometimes have issues with GRJ (following his three men in a boat thingy where he was mostly a pernikity moaning plank) but I loved that prog. last night. Apart from a few moments where I thought "Ach gad, he's such a spanner", he was ok, I now want to go to that part of the world, and I look forward to the rest of the series with interest.

Loved his reversing with a trailer too.

I agree, good programme and hopefully will be a good series

I only have one problem...........Loch Tay is now a must

SWMBO wants the October break to be north of the border

And who am I to argue

Wonder if she'll notice the canoe on top of the car when we go

Happy paddling

Andy

Lets hope his paddling technique improves as the program goes on, his attempt at J-stroking left a lot to be desired.

It was a nice program to watch, with some beautiful scenery. Good too that someone like him who is a household name is raising awareness of the access issue.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    If we don't rock the boat, things will stay the same. Then what hope of things changing.

TGB
    Very true. Asking very politely for something that someone doesn't want to give you will get you absolutely nowhere.
    Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups
    My avatar is the crest of the McAlester clan -

www.macski.com

I loved it

Default Series still available here (for a while)

Rivers has long since been gone from iplayer, but I noticed you can watch them here until 7 October

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m6zkr

just dont go to the iplayer link cos it will say not available, strange but true

Default The words of the Saddlers Wells song?

In one of the programmes which was repeated on BBC a few days ago, Griff talked about the so called New River (which is not a river and now not new) which still (it is a canal about 400 years old) takes I think he said, exactly twenty-two and a half million gallons a day from the Lea for London water supply.

If I understood and remember well, at its opening they opened the supply into a pond situated at Saddler's Wells, for centuries a place to take the waters, now better known as location of ballet/opera theatre. Perhaps the first recorded musical event there, at the opening the rude mechanical canal diggers sang a song (not rude) in celebration, of which he quoted (but did not sing) the text.

I urgently need to get the text of this song. Can anyone give it to me? - maybe it is in his book. I can't access the programme where I am.

You may well wonder - why would anyone urgently need that?

Well if anyone can kindly help me, it will be revealed.

Obvious meanwhile how searching with keywords 'song' 'river' 'Griff Rhys-Jones' led me here.

Did you get any of the lyrics?

This looks comprehensive but it doesn't mention it

http://www.archive.org/stream/somelo...lrich_djvu.txt
    Last edited by Adrian Cooper; 2nd-June-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Did you get any of the lyrics?
    No - it was amusing, at least the way he tells them, but while I looked for pen and paper it was over.

BBC2 started to rescreen the series today (afternoons). But it can be found again on iPlayer.

Thanks for that, might look it up again. It was a pretty good series, but I predict a thread about Griff's lack of J-stroke within a couple of hours...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    It was a pretty good series, but I predict a thread about Griff's lack of J-stroke within a couple of hours...
    agreed.
    I've just been enjoying Secret Rivers with Paul Heiney again on dvd. a beautiful series of programmes guaranteed to attract people to the joys of open boating. but, much the same, I noticed the online knockers had castigated Paul for his paddling technique, clothing, positioning, where he got to paddle; pretty much everything, in fact. even tho' he freely admits in the first programme that he's no paddler and openly discusses access issues throughout. you can actually see his paddling improving with every episode. I wish they'd show it on tv again!

this is back on iPlayer for few weeks, having been repeated up to/over Easter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...nes-1-scotland