Thread: Hammock Hanging

Default Hammock Hanging

Firstly, how much sag should I be hanging my hammock with? I hear I'm supposed to sleep accross it diagonally but I have no idea where to start with sag.

Secondly, if anyone knows of any guides, particularly with pictures for hanging hammocks, tarps and various knots and equipment involved please link it!

I've searched the forum but I couldn't find anything.

you can find a lot of info here.
    the guy is sometimes over-complicating things in my opinion but the site certainly has a wealth of good suggestions.

... or do a search on bcuk.

re. sag: personally, i have it pretty tight for sleeping in as i like it fairly straight. but you may need to try out different options to find out what you find most comfortable, everyone likes it different.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    you can find a lot of info here.
    the guy is sometimes over-complicating things in my opinion but the site certainly has a wealth of good suggestions.

... or do a search on bcuk.

re. sag: personally, i have it pretty tight for sleeping in as i like it fairly straight. but you may need to try out different options to find out what you find most comfortable, everyone likes it different.

Wow, that really is a wealth of information. This guy seems to be deeply involved in hammock science! I'm heading for my first hammock night on friday, so whilst I'm happy with trial and error I don't really want to be adjusting it in the night!

Also I can't get on BCUK at work, but I'll look at home.
    Last edited by Static; 23rd-July-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Omission

A BCUK link is here but as Red says, there's a 100 ways to do it. These guys should know link. For the hammock I use "that knot you tie your shoe laces with" after taking a couple of turns round the tree and for the tarp, the evenk/tarp line hitch combo. I'm with lowlander, I like the hammock pretty taught too, I'll induce my own sag!

linkfest!

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

I use roofrack straps for rigging my hammock now.
    Do a complete turn around the tree (camlock buckle by the tree) then take the long end through a krab in the end of the hammock and back to the buckle.
    They're flat like a tree hugger so wont damage the bark or roll down the tree, very strong and simple to adjust.

Off topic; I also use them to rig my huge tarp for the same reasons.

Pieface.

I hadn't thought of that pieface, I was looking for some webbing. Any idea what the breaking strain is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    For the hammock I use "that knot you tie your shoe laces with"
    aha!
    little stab in the side noted

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    I hadn't thought of that pieface, I was looking for some webbing. Any idea what the breaking strain is?
    the site i gave you above has under 'make your own' a formula for calculating the force that's exerted on the hammock supported, incl. ropes or webbing you hang it from. they think a breaking strength of 700lbs should be sufficient.

i'm not a physicist, however, so can't vouch for it. to hang myself using stuff that didn't come with the hammock itself i use climbing gear which exceeds the above limit by far.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    aha!
    little stab in the side noted
    LOL thank goodness, thought you'd missed it

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

No idea. But strong enough.
    Last time i used my hammock the trees were nearly 20' apart and i rigged it tight so quite a lot of strain there.

Cheers, Pieface.

Static,

You donít mention which hammock you are intending to hang in, or whether you are a bed breaker or a featherweight

I have a DD Travel and slavishly follow their website recommendation here. Interesting to note, it states that the DD Camping Hammock should be tied reasonably tight, whilst the Travel Hammock should almost be tied as tight as possible.

Hard to figure out the reason for the difference in sag. Obviously whoever tested the prototype of the Travel, must have felt that optimum comfort was achieved when the setup was very taut.

Apart from the Travel Hammock having an attached bug net, the specs would appear to be identical.

Looking at the info on the web there are large variations in hangers preferences. I'm still in the experimental stage, but do hope I donít develop into one of those nuisances who are up and down all night making adjustments to the hammock or the tarp rigging.

Jim

It is exactly that Jim, the bug net is the difference. As you attach the bug net to the ridgeline or an accessory line any sag will pull it down and if too much sag you could rip it. I use bungees to attach the bug net to the line.

Another thought, perhaps if the camping hammock was too tight you wouldn't get that roll round effect you want to cover you???

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

I can't remember the make of the hammock, I got it as a present. When I dig it out later tonight I'll find it.

I am a bed-breaker though, I'm over 17 stone, probably 17 and half after that buffet I just polished off!

Thumbs up Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    Do a complete turn around the tree (camlock buckle by the tree) then take the long end through a krab in the end of the hammock and back to the buckle.
    They're flat like a tree hugger so wont damage the bark or roll down the tree, very strong and simple to adjust.

Pieface.
    Hi, I too use one of my Canoe securing straps for Hammocking, have done for quite some time now.
    As you say so simple to adjust.
    Best Regards Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    It is exactly that Jim, the bug net is the difference. As you attach the bug net to the ridgeline or an accessory line any sag will pull it down and if too much sag you could rip it. I use bungees to attach the bug net to the line.

Cheers Alan, Hadn't considered the factor as bug net conservation consideration.

Jim

http://www.hammockforums.net/

All you need is in here. If you join you will find them extremely helpful (if slightly insane).

I'm in the hammock RIGHT NOW! It is megacomfy, I've it a good sag level, we'll see how I feel in the morning though!!

Instructor at Ember Survival

should be about like this...

I'm in the hammock RIGHT NOW! It is megacomfy, I've it a good sag level, we'll see how I feel in the morning though!!
    Did you survive the night?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Did you survive the night?
    Just about! The hammock was comfy, I did feel the cold a bit though and had to hunker down in my bag to be comfy but its not a very thick bag. I could of done with a little less sag but I was limited by the distance between the trees. I definitely need a bug net though

Instructor at Ember Survival

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post

Pieface.
    That's a fantastic idea. Does the camlock take strain ok?

I'm hoping for my first hammocking weekend next Sat so I'll read all the links and hope for the best!
    Get Outdoors in Northern Ireland
    www.ni-wild.co.uk

Jonno, see post #10 above.

Never had a problem. . . . . yet

Cheers, Pieface.