Thread: Mongolia

Default Mongolia

Now this is a long shot I admit but does anyone have info on paddling in the land of blue sky?

I have found these

Nomads 14 day trip

and

Happy camel trips

theres also the waaaaaay to expensive

black feather trip

my bow paddler and I are getting married next may and we hope to do some touring in mongolia for our honeymoon - with some time in a canoe a real bonus if we can manage it. we decided on leaving the yukon or NWT for another year if we ever save up enough....so anyone any info and/or experience to share....? :hopefulbutnotexpectingmuchsmiley:

we'd be going first 2-3 weeks in June '07

Journal Entries

Depending on what you do for a living there are some good immigration incentives to live in Alberta and the North right now.
    I am afraid if I went to Mongolia I would run away on horseback with the nomads and never be seen again.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Journal Entries

Black Feather were the company that organised the mountain river trip that Steve McDonald gave the talk on at the Symposium. Like you say expensive.

They all look like interesting options, good luck organising something and tell us all about it if you do.

Years ago a VSO organiser asked me if I liked the sound of spending 6 months living in a Yurt in outer Mongolia. Apparently I was the first person he'd met that thought it sounded like a great idea. Never got around to it though .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default Canada Immigration

Whyayeman
    I know I'm being lazy, but can you point me at info on emigrating to Canada?

The Norfolk Broads are great, but real wilderness is something else... our home town is Melbourne and the wilderness is only two hours away...

Doug
    (I am having a Toad of Toad Hall experience...)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Whyayeman

The Norfolk Broads are great, but real wilderness is something else... our home town is Melbourne and the wilderness is only two hours away...

Doug
    Yah, I've wondered about that too. Retirement is coming up.

PG

Default This seems the place to start

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    Yah, I've wondered about that too. Retirement is coming up.

PG
    Pierre; If I were you and serious about coming across the line, I would contact these guys;
    http://www.joineps.ca/
    http://www.calgarypolice.ca/recruiti...d_officers.htm

They are recruiting like mad, I may end up out there myself. You spend a few years with them and retire where you want with dual citizenship.

Whyayeman

Doug

That is the place; of course it is a bit easier for commonwealth citizens too and if you are a skilled worker that opens a lot of doors. The main thing is that you prove you are going to stay clear of the welfare system. Depending on what you do for a living some companies will actually help you with your immigration.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    Depending on what you do for a living there are some good immigration incentives to live in Alberta and the North right now.
    I am afraid if I went to Mongolia I would run away on horseback with the nomads and never be seen again.
    I never ever thought I'd consider emergrating, but Canada, or NZ are becoming more attractive as time goes on as space is becoming hard to find these days.

I think were I to go to Mongolia, I'd be joining you mate, one of the girls doing some temporary work for us has spent some fair time riding with the horse andcattle herders in the Argentinan side of Patagonia, and cannot wait to return - ok, I know it's the opposite side of the earth, but the principles are the same ...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanaut View Post
    so anyone any info and/or experience to share....? :hopefulbutnotexpectingmuchsmiley:
    Never been there myself, but a friend of mine is just back in the UK having spent the past 3 years in Mongolia (living in a Yurt too, as it happens!).

If you think he'd be able to help, PM me and I'll give you his details.

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Journal Entries

I had a reply from my friend, and thought it worth copying here in case it is of use to anybody else:

I don't know much about canoeing in Mongolia. The best time to go would be June to August. May can be very windy and it starts getting colder in September. Bellow is a few websites I've found. I've seen Trekkingmongolia advertised while in Mongolia, I think that it is run by a Frenchman / European. Juulchin is one of the biggest tour companies but I don't know if they do canoeing.

http://www.trekkingmongolia.com/pages/canoeing.htmhttp://www.trekkingmongolia.com/tours/CA-09-CM.htm

http://www.juulchin.com/

http://www.nomads.mn/programs/canoeing.html

http://www.blackfeather.com/canoe/ca...uluutriver.htm

http://www.embassyofmongolia.co.uk/

The main way to get to Mongolia from here is either 1, with Aeroflot via Moscow 2, flying to Russia and taking the train 3, Flying to Beijing and then to Ulaanbaatar.

Visa's are avaible from the Mongolian embassy in London.

If you are booking through a company make sure that they arrange a bed in Ulaanbaatar as in summer time they can be hard to come by, expessaly around the 11 of July as that is the National holiday and all hotels are fully booked.

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Beware of one Mongolian flatmate...

When I was at uni I ended up having a Mongolian flatmate...

Wow what an experience that was! He lived on fried potato and onions (with the odd tin thrown in) and when he could afford it, he along with his pals would go to a butcher and buy a whole sheep then ask the butcher to boil it up. They would then wrap it in newspaper and eat it in the "Southsider" pub!

He was called Ghenges pronounced Chingis aka Khan fame and he always opened cans up with an old AK47 bayonet. He hated westerners calling them "lazy, fat, spoilt". He would walk about outside in the frost barefooted cursing the world in Mongolian when he was drunk. When he refused to pay his share of the rent I kicked him out and he told me that if I ever went to Ullanbattar the staff at the airport would tell him and he would kill me !

I am absolutley sure this guy was just homesick and just drunk a lot of the time, but please if you really do go to Mongolia don't say that you me!
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...