Thread: Loch Etive

Default Loch Etive

Hello my names Alex and am new to site. Looks good.

To John(who gave me and me mate a hand on Loch Etive on wednesday) thanks a lot mate. Once we got around the headland it was plain sailing. Arrived back at the camp site wet and tired, but thouroughly chuffed with ourselves for persevereing. Dont know what it was like further down the Loch with you guys, but where we were it was blowin a hoolie all night. Luckily this morning the wind was almost right behind us and we got back up to me van quick sticks, a bonus was havin the very unpredictable tide behind us. All in all a grand adventure. Hope the rest of your trip was good. Maybe see you again some time. Cheers.

Alex

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. I'm trying to work out which of our members it was you met. Did they give a username or was it actually John from the site?

Either way sounds like you had a good trip.
    John

Just met him as John. Nice guy. I

It was a fantastic trip. Very wet, but very enjoyable. Am predominatly a rock climber so I will be looking for mountains and the like to canoe into.

Have a Mad River Explorer 14, and seems great.

MK, It was me... now everyone knows my real name I'll have to kill you all!!

Alex, Good to hear you were OK. Apart from about 24 hours of hoolie the loch was like glass all eight days, you sure picked your day for paddling! The wind was on shore though, and you were both paddling really strongly, so figured you would be OK (and climbers are always up for a minor epic!).

Well done and welcome to the wonderful world of paddling!

(better go hang up a very wet tent!)

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    (better go hang up a very wet tent!)
    And write a Blogg
    John

I'll see what I can do, but it will probably read...

Otters, thousands of them (don't shoot til you can see the whites of their eyes)

Saw my first wild otter about a month and a half ago on the Tweed and was really buzzing, I've spent many a cold hour watching for them over the last few years to no avail (plenty of mink but no otters!). Then since tuesday I've seen otters every day, stood for twenty minutes with one cleaning and scratching itself 15 feet away at one point!

It got to the point where this morning I made a coffee at 7am sat down to drink it, notice the otter fishing in the bay, sighed and got on with packing my kit!

Typically though, I decided not to take my camera this trip, coz if I take it I spend all my time taking photos and not enough time paddling!

PS hope you don't mind, instead of handing out my email address which is easy to forget I just pointed people to here.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    PS hope you don't mind, instead of handing out my email address which is easy to forget I just pointed people to here.
    Fine by me. The more we get here the merrier
    John

Good to hear your week was good. We had a great time despite the weather, and are thinking of heading to Loch Awe in a couple of weeks.

Am definatly sold on this paddling lark!