Thread: Thames This Weekend

Default Thames This Weekend

OK so it's late notice again, but anyone fancy a canoe camp on the Thames this weekend? This trip has been on, then off and now it looks like it's on again...

Plan is to stay at Tadpole Bridge on Friday night, camping at the pub, then paddle to Pinkhill lock Saturday and then down to Oxford on Sunday.

It's a pleasant bit of river and the beer is good at the pub, the Trout I think, and Pinkhill is a good simple campsite.

Let me know if you're interested or would like more info.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

I nearly did part of this trip last weekend however chickened out having looked at the weather forecast.

Would loved to have joined you, however my daughtes bithday party takes precedence . Its a shame I can't meet up as I may well have asked you to bring a long the Saunder tent - it looks a funny shape but a good price for a quality biy of kit.

I have fancied a few of your proposed trips, a little bit more notice would definately help.

yes sorry about the lack of notice.

I do try and arrange things in advance, honest. A lot of what we do is booked up months in advance and doesn't get to make it on to the forum. We try to limit group size to a certain extent and I start to feel a bit crowded when there gets to be more than 4 or 5 boats on the water in a group. When others are running the show I don't feel in a position to open the trip up to a wider circle until the usual suspects have had first refusal. This sometimes makes it very short notice.

I must admit that we have been very busy since we came back from Canada and work has ben encroaching on to our free time, so it has been difficult to plan very far ahead. With no kids we are lucky enough to be able to make decisions last minute as to what we are doing, can make it difficult to get others along though.

Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend though so staying at home may have been the best option...

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris
    This bit of the Thames is my local area. The Trout at Tadpole Bridge is an excellent pub (if a bit pricey). If they’ve got them on tap try the Butts Brewery, or White Horse brewery ales, locally brewed and very tasty.
    It would be nice to get out with some other paddlers for a change, but alas work calls.
    Have a nice time

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    I start to feel a bit crowded when there gets to be more than 4 or 5 boats on the water in a group.
    Small groups are certainly our preference too, please let me know of any future trips.

Similarly if you're on our part of the Thames let me know, we're 100 yards from Sunbury wier and a very easy launch site