Thread: Hi!

Default Hi!

Hi!

Just a few words to introduce myself...
    I'm a 20 year old Student at Exxeter, and at the moment i'm building a cedar strip-planked Kipawa - 16'6"...
    I've done a bit of canoeing before, but mainly rowing and sailing... looking forward to giving it a go!

Anyway, bye for now

Welcome

You must post pictures of the canoe when it is finished. You can even do a thread describing the process, if you are feeling up to it
    John

It's good to see there is someone else out there who appreciates the qualities of a real wood canoe, I was begining to think that everyone was happy to jump into a plastic boat.

I too have just started on a cedar stripper, but of my own design, also 16' 6" long.

I'll be interested to hear how get on .

Steve

I would love to have a wooden boat but I would be so scared of damaging it I fear it would never get used.
    John

Steve - what stage are you at? I've done about 75% of the planking of mine, but now that i;m back at uni it'll be a while before I can do much more!

Now here's a question - what would anyone think having a wooden canoe would limit you to - i've not done much canoeing but I presume that whitewater is pretty much out of the question - anyone got any ideas?

Kipawa - only just starting fabrication, spent quite a bit of time tweaking the design until I was happy with it, basically just cutting out my station molds at the moment, although have also been making paddles as well.

Kipawa & Magikelly, from my research into woodstrip canoes well known manufacturers claim overall they are just as strong as many other manufactured methods of construction, I have read reports of these canoes being catapulted off the tops of cars due to insecure tie-down
    and an incident whereby a packing case containing a canoe was crushed by heavy machinery, and yet the canoes suffered only superficial damage.

There are tried and tested designs out there for full on white water canoes. If you are concerned about durability with regard to rocks you can always modify your construction by using a heavier weight glass fibre fabric, or adding an additional layer of fabric in vunerable areas such as the keel-line. You can also use Kevlar as an alternative, some liken this to armour plating your canoe, OK I suppose if you like to spend your day bouncing off rocks. There are quite a range of products out there as alternatives to woven glass fibre but this is generally accepted as the norm, "you pays your money you takes your choice", as usual there are pro's and con's with any choice.

Although your pride and joy may be susceptable to scratches and scrapes, they are relatively easy to repair.

Steve

if you want good impact resistance, then wood fulfils that role very well. My cousin is a yacht designer and likes using epoxy skinned cedar strip because of it's strength to weight ratio, coupled with it's cost, versatility and looks especially with one offs.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com