Thread: Testing the Sail Rig

Default Testing the Sail Rig

This the Pacific Action sail tested for the first time with the Solway Dory lee board... very happy with the result... able to sail much closer to the wind with the lee board... the leeboard is very high quality, as is the sail...

The photo is a bit misleading... we usually sail with Mary in the front using her South Pacific experience to control the sail... I sit at the back steering and issuing irrelevant commands... on this occasion she was on shore taking the photo...

now fantasising about a second sail... Mary says "Why not buy a yacht!" I'm thinking about another sail mounted in the middle of the boat... or maybe a smaller sail at the back... any thoughts?
    Last edited by dougdew99; 24th-September-2006 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Looks good.
    That shows off the trimming these sails will take.

Both my pal and I have used these PA sails for a fair few years now, and have been impressed with them - with a helpful wind you can cover some water in no time. If it's more of a playful wind, things get a little more involved, but no less entertaining. I don't use a leeboard, I just kinda dab with my paddle in between using it as a rudder, or for more definite course correction strokes (and the odd brace here and there...).

How have you secured the base of your sail - actually come to that - how have you secured your leeboard, is it on a pivot, or just kinda dropped in over the side ?

I kinda wonder how a second sail would work out, especially another crabs-claw like the PA sails ...

I'd think that I'd find it more in the way than not to be honest.

... but good luck if you give it a go tho'
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 24th-September-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    This the Pacific Action sail tested for the first time with the Solway Dory lee board... very happy with the result... able to sail much closer to the wind with the lee board... the leeboard is very high quality, as is the sail...
    I'm thinking about another sail mounted in the middle of the boat... or maybe a smaller sail at the back... any thoughts?
    Very nice looking sail, you seem very pleased with it.

As mounted the sail seems ideal for downwind sailing but the 'centre of effort' of the sail is far forward of the 'centre of resistance' of the hull and I imagine that as you get closer to the wind you will need continuous correction (i.e effort and drag) with the rudder or steering paddle.

To optimise it for sailing on a reach etc. there might be advantage in trying with the leeboard further forwards towards the centre of effort of the sail, alternatively you could try mounting the sail closer to the centre of the canoe for a more sailing orientated rig. A second smaller sail at the stern will balance the rig better but I would try the above simpler approaches first - unless you want extra sail area as well and the extra handling for two sails is worth it.

Caveat - This is from boating experience as I haven't fitted sails to my canoes but I think the principles are sound.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Default Centre of Effort

I was surprised how little effort was required to steer with the paddle... the leeboard is quite deep...

I'm interested in getting more sail area in light airs... I think a smaller version of the PA sail would be best... mounted on the stern... I'm not sure if it can be mounted effectively... one great thing about the PA sails is you can rig them in a few seconds. So you can carry it in the canoe until you are ready to sail... but they are really designed to be mounted at the front... maybe a couple of small pulleys at the stern to bring the sheets forward to jamming cleats mounted on the gunwales...

I'll post some pictures of how I've attached the sail and the leeboard from next time I'm out... probably next weekend.

We were able to sail by reaching and tacking on Sunday... it was good fun, but not enough wind

Thanks for the advice...

Doug