Thread: Swift - Discontinued / Other

Default Swift - Discontinued / Other

Please add any reviews for older (or brand new) models not covered elsewhere for this manufacturer.

Swift Quetico 15'10"

Designed by John Winters

Overal Length: 15'10"
    Waterline length: 15'6"
    Gunwale Width: 34"
    Waterline Width: 31.6"
    Bow Height: 19.6"
    Stern Height: 17.6"
    Centre Depth: 13"
    Bow Rocker: 1.75"
    Stern Rocker: 0.5"
    Hull Shape: Asymmetrical
    Optimum Load Range ~320-400 lbs
    Industry Capacity ~900 lbs

Makers Write Up

The Quetico has been designed to meet Algonquin Outfitter's requirements for a high performance small tripping canoe for Canadian Shield country.
    This unique design has a shallow arch bottom and a long smooth entry. While it has a tender feeling initially, it does have a smooth and predictable motion in waves.
    The Quetico is among the most efficient paddling canoes of its size as it reaches hull speed quickly and maintains it effortlessly.
    It will perform best when loaded to 360 pound (+/- 36 pounds), but its flared hull allows considerable overloading with safety.
    On the lakes this canoe requires very little correctional strokes to keep it tracking well.
    The Quetico is equally well suited to solo and tandem day trips and lightweight tripping.

During my stay at Algonquin Outfitters in 1991 I tried to test paddle as many canoe designs from Sawyer and Swift as possible. And while the Swift Cirrus 18' was the design that interested me the most at that time, we were most impressed by the performance of this Swift Quetico 15'10". Unfortunately we haven't been able to try this boat in more demanding situations, to see how it would behave then and how dry it could be paddled. But what I can tell you is that I have never felt so satisfied with a canoes ease of paddling forward. Its tracking capabilities were really the best I have ever experienced in a canoe.

Dirk Barends

That looks nice Greg. Any info regarding prices, weight, colours etc, and what are the differences between this version and the Burnett version ??
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    That looks nice Greg. Any info regarding prices, weight, colours etc, and what are the differences between this version and the Burnett version ??
    Not much decided at this moment... but I'm sure the news will appear on here as and when decisions have been made!

Sad news from Robert/Burnett from last week :

For personal reasons, I'm pulling the plug (for now at least) on Burnett Boats.
    Thanks for your support.
    Happy paddling!
    Robert and I have been on this project from day 1. I have been a main reason for the project to be started. I feel very sorry that Robert can not finish the project now.

So for now there is only the Sd version.

I think details will be ready within 2 weeks.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    Sad news from Robert/Burnett from last week :

Robert and I have been on this project from day 1. I have been a main reason for the project to be started. I feel very sorry that Robert can not finish the project now.

So for now there is only the Sd version.

I think details will be ready within 2 weeks.
    That's a shame, we're sadly lacking in British built composite boats (compared to North America that is).
    Obviously I know nothing of any agreements or logistics, but couldn't SD make the non sailing version, at least until Burnett boats make them (or not)??
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I had a quick look when I was there and it is a lovely boat. I think Dave S said it is about 25KG.... I did try picking it up and could do so easily just using the strength in my arms (and I am not particularly strong!).

Exciting days!

Exciting news!
    This really looks like the "pocket rocket" canoe I remember paddling in 1991!

The Quetico 15'10" is said to be the culmination of countless discussions and debates with expert and novice paddlers alike as to what this type of canoe should be, but I wonder if using it for sailing was part of that...
    So I am curious if (and how) it performs for that purpose.

Dirk Barends

Quote Originally Posted by canonymous View Post
    Exciting news!
    This really looks like the "pocket rocket" canoe I remember paddling in 1991!

The Quetico 15'10" is said to be the culmination of countless discussions and debates with expert and novice paddlers alike as to what this type of canoe should be, but I wonder if using it for sailing was part of that...
    So I am curious if (and how) it performs for that purpose.

Dirk Barends
    A boat designed by committee... what could possibly go wrong!

I am sure that the Daves will have discussed and considered the sailing capabilities and I do not think it an exaggeration to say that they are probably the most experienced sailing canoe builders around so I am sure that if properly set up it would sail very well indeed.

Solway Dory built Quetico 15 in the Arjan Bloem store (c/o Lennart Bal) and being inspected by Dirk Barends