Thread: Mad River - Discontinued / Other

Default Mad River - Discontinued / Other

Please add any reviews for older (or brand new) models not covered elsewhere for this manufacturer.

Default Quest

Specifications from Mad River:
    "this comfortable canoe has a contemporary, asymmetrical hull shape that is increasingly flared for added seaworthiness The V entry, designed for easy tracking gives way to a shallow arch bottom providing performance you would not expect in a recreational canoe. For maximum weight savings, the Quest can he equipped with our aluminum gunwale system.
    Quest
    The Quest has a Lightweight hull, is a small, performance oriented canoe. Weighing far less than polyethylene canoes, the Mad River Quest paddles easily and glides quickly on ponds, lakes and smooth-flowing rivers. Children and adults will feel secure on casual outings around the summer cottage or on weekend camping trips. The highly maneuverable Quest can be easily paddled solo by installing a center cane seat or kneeling thwart.
    Designer: Jim Henry
    Hull Configuration:
    • Slight Rocker
    • Asymmetrical
    • Shallow Arch w/Flare
    6" Freeboard Capacity:
    640 lbs.
    Average Weight:
    • RL w/alum 54 lbs.
    • RL w/Ash 56 lbs. Length: 14'7"
    Gunwale Width: 35"
    4" Water line Width:31.5"
    Depth At Canter: 13"
    Bow Height: 20"
    Stern Height: 20"

This one is build in composite and royalex. I have one in composite. It is not fast but very nice in turning. and good to handle solo.

It is build in the early ninety's.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Default Mad River Synergy 14

From the maunfacturer:

"This hybrid boat was designed specifically for anglers. It's a canoe version of a sit-on-top with the added benefit of generous, easily-accessible gear storage."

"Get all the benefits of the 12, with added speed and glide, making the 14 a great choice for longer days on the water."

Synergy 14

Get all the benefits of the 12, with added speed and glide, making the 14 a great choice for longer days on the water."

Gunwale Avg Weight Standard Outfitting Factory-Installed Options MSRP None 64 lbs/29 kg Adjustable padded backrest, Padded seat, 2 Mesh pockets, 2 Rod notches, Cup holder, Adjustable footbraces, 2 Side carry handles with paddle keepers, Padded bow and stern carry handles, Inspection port/hatch, Rudder compatible

Road Test:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...bbit-Road-Test

Trip Report:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ide-of-Kerrera

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Default Synergy spec

WEIGHT
    64 lbs / 29kg

LENGTH 14' 427 cm

WIDTH
    GUNWALE 30" 76 cm
    @4" WATERLINE 28" 71 cm
    MAXIMUM 30" 76 cm

DEPTH
    @CENTER 10" 25 cm
    @BOW 14.25" 36 cm
    @STERN 12.25" 31 cm

ROCKER
    @BOW 2.25" 6 cm
    @STERN 1.5" 4 cm

CAPACITY
    400 lbs 181 kg

Crow Trip Log

Default Mad River Synergy whitewater tandem/solo canoe.

The Mad River Synergy in its original, true canoe form, was released around 1996. Tom Foster, working with Jim Henry, designed the Synergy as well as the ealier Rampage and the later Outrage. The Rampage and Synergy disappeared from Mad River offerings after they moved from New England to North Carolina, but the Outrage is still made.

It's surprising that Mad River later borrowed the Synergy name for two fishing kayaks, good craft in their own right, and then dropped them also from their offerings. It shows a lack of commitment.

I don't have a full set of statistics, but it is 15 feet long, 30.5 inches wide, and 14+ inches deep in the center. It weighs about 56 pounds without outfitting. Mine probably weighs about 66 pounds.

The original Synergy had some of the best Royalex ever offered by any maker. It is designed as a tandem, but unless the pair is light, it will be a wet ride. Here's a shot of a tandem Synergy.

Here's my Synergy with its triple saddle.

I have it rigged a bit "forward" for speed and tracking, but just leaning back will loosen the bow and allow pivoting on the broader stern. The Synergy is quite asymmetrical, swedeform, and roundish with a slight V underneath.

Its narrow beam and roundish cross section make the Synergy fast for a whitewater boat. However, the same roundness means it can't be ferried at radical angles, and is deadly dangerous when side surfing. The Dagger Caption is a better pure whitewater boat, tandem or solo, and Mad River must agree, because when they acquired boat molds from Dagger, they resurrected the Caption, not the Synergy. But for cruising and camping, the Synergy's greater speed gives it the edge. I have carried 150 pounds of gear, food and water on western canyon rivers without much degradation in performance. I prefer the Synergy over my Mad River Guide for such trips, because I can spin the Synergy easily for photography.

It's not for fishing, and don't try to stand up in it.

The old Synergy does appear to be a nice boat.

Strange that they recycled the name.

Maybe they'll do it again?

The "new" Synergy was certainly marketed as a fishing kayak, and had rod holders etc built in.

But it is capable of much more than than, and is a good performing craft in its own right. I bought one and I'm not remotely interested in it for fishing, I bought it as a coastal tripping boat. And I was pleasantly surprised to find how fast it was.

It is a hybrid though, and an unusual design, which is maybe why it failed to attract big sales. People like something that looks like everything else.

Still a lucky find as far as I am concerned. There are a few still available, but probably not for long. I've ordered a spray cover for mine, while I still can, to keep waves off the bows in rougher seas...

Crow Trip Log

I knew you weren't fishing, but you're known for trolling now and then....

Mad River may have acted in haste, stung both by the economy and by the IQ gunwale system not being accepted the way they hoped.

Default Mad River Reflection

Can we add the Mad river Reflection boats to the Mad River List? 15 & 17? http://www.madrivercanoe.co.uk/produ.../reflection_15 ...real nice boat, would love to hear some reviews.

I have a Reflection 15 in cream/ sand
    I paddled her solo for a couple of years before being joined by other half and spaniel - we can still fit OK for a camping trip
    Paddled on flat and moving water up to Grade 2 with odd grade 3 rapid
    She has been great - chose Reflection 15 as could use on mixture of water and was easy enough for me to lift on my own and use solo

hannahc---- I think I heard of you in connection with a transatlantic jewelry fencing operation. Anyway, back in '99 I joined Sunrise Expeditions on their first trip through the San Juan canyons in Utah. The two Maine Guides who rode herd on all the canoeists brought trailers full of various canoes for customers who didn't have their own. Usually, customers who were paddling solo were supplied with Reflection 15s, and those customers were satisfied with the result. One guy did have trouble getting his Reflection to go straight into an upstream headwind, so he just reflected it 180 degrees and paddled backwards.

Default Mad River Explorer 17 Duck Hunter

Manufacturers' specs:

Hull Configuration :Royalex Plus, Slight Rocker, Symmetrical, Shallow V

Length/ Weight : 17'2"/72 lbs

Gunwale Width :
    37"

Bow/ Stern Height : 22"/ 22"

4" Waterline Width : 34"

I bought this canoe off of a nice fellow last summer for a good price. I couldn't find much literature on it before going to check it out, but read enough good things about MRC and the explorer 16 that I could not pass it up.

Although not a duck hunter personally, I can see why it is named as so. I do a lot of fishing from it, so I love the stability. Excellent for nature watching and photography as well. The boat tracks better than my previous poly canoes and holds enough gear for a month long expedition.

It is pretty slow. It takes some work to maneuver the beast around sharp bends, but overall I love this canoe for what I use it for - tripping through the wilderness with the company of my favorite people.

Wedman
    Wilderness: a beautiful word to describe a beautiful land. Wilderness though is a white man’s concept. To the Native people, the land was not wild. It was home. - Bill Mason