Thread: Ally - Discontinued / Others

Default Ally - Discontinued / Others

Please add any reviews for older (or brand new) models not covered elsewhere for this manufacturer.

Default not sure which one this is!

I took a few shots of this Ally on Ullswater, on the 19th June 2010.

I've no idea which one it is but it paddled well;

Quite liked the hat

The "dreadnought" look of the thing was hideous, but as I say; it did seem to go well

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Just a short note:

There is also the Ally - Voyageur 16'

It has not been manufactured for long. Here are some information I took from the german extensive page of folding boats: faltboot.org (I would have loved to post a real link, but: 'your post count must be 2 or greater'...)

Length [m]: 4,80
    Width [m]: 0,82
    Depth [m]: 0,34
    Weight [kg]: 17
    Capacity [kg]: 325

When I bought it I liked the slender form of this boat and I think it is a pity that it is not manufactured any more...

Cheers
    Heiko

Oi, Badger!

That's me in the hideous Dreadnought. It is a bit "slabby" to be fair, but a goot flatwater solo boat.

My 16'6 Ally river boat is less aesthetically challenged.

Glad you like the hat, bit of a change from my normal one (see avatar ;-))

Jim H. Posting for the first time in ~4 years!

Welcome back Sir. We have to few Ally owners on here, more the merrier.
    I have a 611DR which handles nicely solo or tandem, your views on your Ally's would be welcome
    Rob.

Actually, looking back, it's only been 2 years.
    About the time I've been tussling with a now moderately sorted allotment....It may have been the hat that was responsible.

I kind of reviewed the thirteen footer above somewhere or other when I'd had it a wee while but with that now in proper perspective and never having reviewed the 16'6 riverboat I probably should (re)do both.

How many are we happy "few" enlightened enough to have bought the correct folding canoe? I remember Wayland was after a fifteen footer years back and found one s/h if memory serves.

Must find some less obscure threads to contribute too as well and say "hi" to MK

Jim.

Question

Just re-read this one!

I'm really, seriously tempted to try to get hold of one of these "Dreadnoughts" (still think the hats as cool as a cool thing) or possibly the more "timpo" like 15ftr.

Who if anyone, is selling these at the moment? or is anyone selling a 2nd hand one at all?

Cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Just re-read this one!

I'm really, seriously tempted to try to get hold of one of these "Dreadnoughts" (still think the hats as cool as a cool thing) or possibly the more "timpo" like 15ftr.

Who if anyone, is selling these at the moment? or is anyone selling a 2nd hand one at all?

Cheers

Steve
    Steve, dunno if you've seen this thread: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...anoe-Importers

I'm about to order the 15' DR from arts-outdoors.de. The "Dreadnought" might be a 13'7" at a guess?
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Default Ally Voyageur 16DR

As mentioned by Heiko back in 2011, Ally used to make a canoe called the Voyageur 16DR. I believe this was sold from between the mid to late 1990s, so quite a short production period for some reason. Well I have just picked up a second hand Voyageur, which I managed to get wet the other evening.

First impressions were very positive. What struck me the most, was the speed of the canoe, which was much faster than I had expected from a folding canoe. Now this is not to say speed is everything, but it did seem to glide rather effortlessly through the water.

Having not paddled any other Ally canoe, I don't have much to go on, but it seemed to track very nicely. Turning the canoe was a little laborious even when healed over, which is probably down to the hull profile. Primary stability is rather good, if a little wobbly when I first got in. Then secondary stability seems reassuring, though i've yet to 'really' heal it over.

On this Ally, the gunnel poles protrude from the bow and stern ends. This makes it a little fiddly to line up the slots for fixing the ribs, but it's not too much of an issue. The bow and stern curved poles also seem different to the modern ally design with protruding handles (green rubber covered), which I rather like for manhandling the canoe. I was fortunate that this canoe came with the spray deck, so it will be interesting to see how this fits over the handles...

It took me quite a while to erect the ally, though hopefully this will get quicker... it's very disconcerting using a hammer to thump the ribs into place. But once fitted, the skin it tight as a... drum. I'm not sure I managed to fit the bow and stern curved poles quite as snug as they could be, so next time will pay more attention to this stage.

Another observation I made was the size of the foam matting. It seemed to come almost right up to the underside of the gunnels. On other Ally canoes, I think this looks a bit lower.

Because I tend to pry off the gunnels when paddling, I'm concerned that over time i'll wear through the skin. So i'm thinking about cutting a section of hose pipe which I can slot over the top for protection.

The Trapper seats are quite strange to settle into. I managed to kneel with one leg each side. Not ideal, but it was fairly comfortable. I tried removing the seat, but found it more uncomfortable kneeling across the bars. Perhaps I need to try some different mats or make a bespoke seat / thwart.

It was getting quite late by the time I was ready to head home, so I decided to pop the canoe on the roof-rack instead of fold it away. Wow, at 17kg it's very light! Though the bow and stern wobbled about a bit on the roof, so bow and stern straps would be essential if driving any distance with it on the roof I think.

Well these are my initial observations on a discontinued Ally Voyageur. From my first time out, it seems like a great canoe. I'll look forward to paddling this more on waters in the UK and around Europe. However right now, I hope I can fit it all back into it's bag...

Now I know why a couple of the Ally canoes we saw in the middle of nowhere in Norway had funny sticky-out gunwhale ends. They did look slimmer and faster than my 15DR, but still different to the current non-DR versions.

Nice purchase. The build will become faster with time. My tip is this; after each step in the build, stop. Have a really good look at what you've just done, is it absolutely spot on/straight etc. If not, fix it now, before going any further. This is especially true of lining up the floor mat properly. Any little mistakes seem to get exaggerated if you continue the build, and you can only adjust them at that point by starting to take it apart again...
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle