Thread: Tentipi Vagge: anyone own one?

Default Tentipi Vagge: anyone own one?

Thinking of saving up for one of these tipi's. Looks like it meets all my requirements. Anyone out there own that one can tell me more about it or even better post some pics? How big exactly is the 5 compared to the 7? Im thinking the 7 might be a tad big for forest camping etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budvar View Post
    Thinking of saving up for one of these tipi's. Looks like it meets all my requirements. Anyone out there own that one can tell me more about it or even better post some pics? How big exactly is the 5 compared to the 7? Im thinking the 7 might be a tad big for forest camping etc.

Thanks
    I have the Arran 5 light. now renamed. I use it almost daily in the forests. the foot print is about 16ft diameter. I am considering getting a 7 for the winter in canvas.

I may be able to arrange a decent price for SOTP members.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I may be able to arrange a decent price for SOTP members.
    Oooo now I'm interested!!

I have the 7 Varrie but have not used it that much but I would still not sell it.

Fair bit of info on this thread

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=194

John

Default tentipi supplier/info

Interested in a tentipi too, have just been on 'The Stunning Tents Company' site (had thought Nordic Outdoor only importers). They have have lots of information and pictures for all Tentipi. Am wondering how well the canvas sheds rainwater and how easy it is to dry. Would like a Varrie 7 or maybe 9, spent nearly as much hiring a caravan for a week this Summer, may have to stop comparing high cost with other tents and just place order. (Ideally like to see a 7 or 9 pitched first)

Default Varrie

Nice photos magickelly.
    Last edited by wayne; 24th-September-2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo

Default Tentipi alternatives

Has anyone experience of these makes of alternatives to the Tentipi, www.frisport.com and www.Helsport.com ? Better quality or value?

Can't find any UK suppliers. Anyone imported or collected a tent from Norway/Sweden/Denmark (all equal EU members?), apart from postage are their any additional costs, import duty or VAT??

Anyone imported their canoe from abroad, prices in States so much lower, is their a significant saving to be made by doing so?

importing kit from the EU should not incur addtional chrages. The US is another matter. Expect a handling charge, import duty and vat.

It can really add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Has anyone experience of these makes of alternatives to the Tentipi, www.frisport.com and www.Helsport.com ? Better quality or value?

Can't find any UK suppliers. Anyone imported or collected a tent from Norway/Sweden/Denmark (all equal EU members?), apart from postage are their any additional costs, import duty or VAT??

Anyone imported their canoe from abroad, prices in States so much lower, is their a significant saving to be made by doing so?
    I think if I may remember that these two companys are one and the same. Its just that Frisport is their cheaper model. I had an email enquiry about a lavvu to helsport and was put onto the frisport range buy them. The only difference is the shedding perfromance and weight of the outer material ( ie how much snow and rain can batter them) and the frisport range is good to use in the temperate British climate.
    Offcourse, I could be talking absolute tosh!!!!

Thanks for the ideas. Those Frisport ones look pretty good and a lot cheaper than th Tentipi. Anyone ever bought stuff from Norway/Sweden/Denmark before?

Ive bought knives and other stuff from Denmark before. As far as I remember the delivery was very quick in arriving. It's not like getting stuff from America where it can go through customs etc, as we are all in Europe its quite easy to buy from there.

Thanks for the ideas. Those Frisport ones look pretty good and a lot cheaper than th Tentipi. Anyone ever bought stuff from Norway/Sweden/Denmark before?
    Where did you find the prices? I couldn't see them listed on their site.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Really tempted by the Frisport just not sure about spending hundreds of pounds on something I have never even seen.

Whilst searching for Frisport tipi's I found another contender -the Beacon Forrest. It actually looks better for the UK than the (Tentipi) Vagge as it has heavy waterproof material material round the base like the more expensive Tentipis do.

I ordered a knife blank and some timber from Denmark last night.

Just put Frisport Lavvu into google.

Just put Frisport Lavvu into google.
    Err thanks. I had found the web site without difficulty but there aren't prices shown next to the products

However they are there:

1) Go to site home page, select Union Jack flag for displying stuff in English and identify what you want.
    2) Go back to home page and select Norwegian language and browse back to the same item you found before. Make a note of its name in Norwegian.
    3) Go back to home page and click on the tab who's name is vaguely like prices. Something like Prisliste from memory.
    4) Download the .pdf file (which is in Norwegian) and look up the price using your newly aquired Norwegian skills from step (2). This is in Kroner of course.
    5) Translate to sterling and guess what the carriage is.

Easy really

P.S the rather nice looking 8-10 man 'Skogshorn' Lavvu in canvas is 562 excluding carriage.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

sorry didnt mean to sound sarcy. I put the Norwegian name (from the PDf ) into google and it came up with loads of (Norwegian) shops selling the things. Thats the price I am going by. Wonder wether these shops would be willing to deal with people in the UK?
    Are you considering buying Gwing?

Cheers

Heres the link to the Beacon Forrest Lavvu that I mentioned earlier:

http://www.sportogfiske.no/product/8...n_Forrest.html

It actually looks better than the Frisport and is only Kr. 2490 (whatever that works out to in pounds).

>> http://www.sportogfiske.no/product/8...n_Forrest.html

According to my currency converter 2490 N Kroner = 201 ???????
    That seems cheap????????????
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Knowing my luck that price would be for the pole and pegs.

Heres the link to the Beacon Forrest Lavvu that I mentioned earlier:

http://www.sportogfiske.no/product/8...n_Forrest.html

It actually looks better than the Frisport and is only Kr. 2490 (whatever that works out to in pounds).
    I spotted the cheap price, but I wonder what the material is - how's your Norwegian?
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Default Another option - Bison Telt International

'Bison Telt International', another tentipi contender? I'm wondering if it would cost no more to fly to Oslo, buy a tipi tent, tentipi or other, from a supplier there. Maybe the saving on the UK price would more than pay for the trip over. Shame they don't come up for sale seconhand more often.

Im waiting for someone buy one and put up a review.

'Bison Telt International', another tentipi contender? I'm wondering if it would cost no more to fly to Oslo, buy a tipi tent, tentipi or other, from a supplier there. Maybe the saving on the UK price would more than pay for the trip over. Shame they don't come up for sale seconhand more often.
    Baggins on BCUK has ordered a Bison tipi I think. It will be interesting to see his review when it arrives in early Oct.

Please note that Norway is not actually in the EU therefore does not come under the Free Movement of Goods treaty, therefore duty may apply.

My own experience of Importing and Exporting IT Harware to and from the Nordic countires has always been first class, their ethos is pretty much the same as ours.

Default varrie 9

Hi

I have a tentipi varrie 9, I'm very happy with it. I have the floor but not the inner skin. Seems fine like that.

I'd buy it direct if you can, seems to be a mark-up in the UK, and it's not cheap to start with.

I don't think one tent is ever going to suit all occasions though, I have a wildcountry Quasar, but havn't used it for a while.

I also like the look of the campfire tent, though I have not used one.

I'm sure you would be happy with the Varrie, it is very quick to put up and gives you a great space to live in.

Default Lavvu plans

As another idea, does anyone have a pattern for making a lavvu? I may be able to get one/some made up for not very much but there *will* be language issues and for the idea to be a starter we would need a design that is clear and known to work rather than relying on description and experimentation!

That said the prices of the Bison jobbies seem low enough that I can't see making one could be much cheaper. I'll be interested to see what the reports on this are like as well - from the photos available my main concern is that it sems a very dark fabric and I would prefer something much lighter.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

This thread comes a bit late... My Norwegian chum is coming over today (with a couple of Frost knives REAL cheap!!) and he could have sorted stuff from home.

Two things to be aware of: Norway isn't in the EU! And - Carriage to/from is horrendous! 60 to get 3kg on 4/5 day recently, including customs charge!!!!!

He's bringing over his Lappland tent and we're going off-roading in Wales so in 10 days time I'll be able to tell you more about Norwegian camping!

I'll take some pics and try and sort out somewhere online to stick 'em.

Happy Hunting!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    As another idea, does anyone have a pattern for making a lavvu? I may be able to get one/some made up for not very much but there *will* be language issues and for the idea to be a starter we would need a design that is clear and known to work rather than relying on description and experimentation!

That said the prices of the Bison jobbies seem low enough that I can't see making one could be much cheaper. I'll be interested to see what the reports on this are like as well - from the photos available my main concern is that it sems a very dark fabric and I would prefer something much lighter.
    Depending where and how long you would need it for you could borrow my Arran 5 to get an idea of design.

although I suspect a straight copy would be frowned apon.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Depending where and how long you would need it for you could borrow my Arran 5 to get an idea of design.

although I suspect a straight copy would be frowned apon.
    That's really kind, thank you Wayne. To even consider this though I would want a set of published plans that are easy to unsderstand, I know this sort of stuff exists for traditional tipis but for lavvus?

The only reason I mention this is that my father has retired and spends six months of the year in the sum living in a motorvan in Morocco (he'll be going in a few days) and there are places we know there that make up awnings etc. to order for ridiculous prices. In reality I suspect I will take the easy option and buy one but if there are readily available plans I might just check out the possibility of manufacturing a few - I doubt if we'll be wanting enough to go through a process of trial and error getting it right.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

I have spent many an hour trying to track down plans on the net. Let us know if you find any.

Default Tipi plans

Is this link any use? There seem to be a variety of plans available.

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/shelter/tepee.htm

Hope you manage to get one made.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Pah, what a rubbish idea this is !
    Who on earth could possibly want one of these dreadful things ?
    There is no way I'd ever be interested in one of these ...
    You'd be able to have two weeks on a beach in Greece for that much money!

Did that sound convincing ?
    I'm repeating it to myself over and over ...

Default Bison Telt

Hi Folks

Had a great week in Wales, only lost one mudflap and a windscreen... Well, you gotta play with a Land Rover if you've got one

Spent a night in the hills in a Bison Lavvu (Sami for tent!) which had the cylindrical stove - FANTASTIC!!!!! Really spacious (it can sleep 16 cosily) and really toasty.

Our host, Gunnar, woke at 6am and lit the stove again so we woke warm too, bliss! No inner tent and a thrown down tarp floor but VERY good for all year camping. It can be vented in warm weather and when it's well below freezing they have a rotation on watch to look after the fire.

Norway is outside the EU so you can buy less their 25% VAT and pay the UK rate on import - carriage would be the killer though. The prices on this and other threads seem pretty good in this country and getting to Norway will not be a cheap option.

One with a stove starts to look impractical in a canoe but as a base tent for day trips, brilliant.

I am SERIOUSLY tempted by one of these Lavvu's and will be looking into it some more, I do recommend them as a fabulous and atmospheric camping experience.

My friend bought me over a couple of little Frost knives that he wouldn't let me pay for, 2.50 each he said!!! Oh, and some Cloudberry liqueur which I can recommend too

Have FUN

Jon

Default Lavvu

Just a quick observation, but the images of the cheaper model look square in base shape. I would think that the greater number of panels used result in a "rounder" profile, which means improved spillage of wind, thus a more weatherproof construction.
    I guess this is where the money is saved?
    Having lots of fun with mine, and always lots of interest shown. People really enjoy the warmth.
    A friend has just made a stove for his cotton "trailer" style tent out of a gas cylinder. He used a heat diffusing plate, similar to that on mine, for safe flue exit. 8.00 cost, but long hours to build!
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

Might be worth considering a holiday to Norway and pick up a Tipi / Lavvu while there - we've been over there diving a few times (ferry Newcastle to Bergen and drive up to Narvik, well inside the Arctic circle). Not the cheapest place (!), but the scenery and the people make it a fantastic holiday.

We've never taken the canoe over, but paddling in the Fjords must be mind blowing....

cheers

Matt