Thread: Spean Gorge 14th Sept

Default Spean Gorge 14th Sept

we had the very good fortune to take last week off and managed to get some of the best weather of the year in our trips that covered Loch Etive, The Spean Gorge and off course the symposium at Glenmore Lodge by the time thursday came around we were beginning our eastward journey and arrived during the only day of rain at Roybridge. That afternoon levels were way to low to get down the gorge so we holed up in Aite Chruinnichidh Hostel and by the friday morning there was quite enough water to navigate this beautiful stretch of water.

The put in is actually on the roy just south of the bridge on river left, theres an obvious style that leads down a short track to the river and a small pool thats perfect for launching - a quick scoot down the roy and your soon approaching the confluence with the spean from river left - ie you want to head right (if the level is high enough to get over the shingle bar here you should be fine all the way down)

the river flows west for some 3-4 miles to spean bridge through a section of grade 1 & 2 water, you do have to be reasonably careful about choosing your route in various places but with a bit of scouting in a couple of places it should be obvious enough, theres a couple of really fun drops and some great rock formations at the end of the route.

exit is on river left just before you get to the railway bridge at the spean bridge before a shingle bar that stretches out from river left - if you get to the bridge you have gone too far and it gets difficult beyond that - apparently you dont want to go there but I've never tried =)

anyway heres a couple of piccies - well worth the 3 hours spent picking a way down (incl lunch break)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanaut View Post
    exit is on river left just before you get to the railway bridge at the spean bridge before a shingle bar that stretches out from river left - if you get to the bridge you have gone too far and it gets difficult beyond that - apparently you dont want to go there but I've never tried =)

My sister tried . She doesn't paddle any more .

Great photos.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

That's the middle Spean that you did, not the Gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Yeah, I was a bit confused by that myself. Also, I think the bridge below the takeout is the eponymous A82 road bridge at Spean Bridge, the railway crosses about 2km above Spean Bridge. I've kayaked this and it is, as you say, a lovely run with that weird big fall near the end. Was there enough water to explare back up the Spean where The Roy joined?

The Spean Gorge is a wonderful paddle though more suited to a kayak than a canoe. Assuming that Laggan dam isn't blowing too many pipes it's well worth the trip.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    argh ok that makes sense now - the middle spean does have a gorge though so hence my confusion

whatever its called it was nice