Thread: Medway, Sluice Weir Photo wanted.

Default Medway, Sluice Weir Photo wanted.

Can anyone help with a bright happy photo of someone shooting the canoe pass at the Sluice Weir on the Medway?

We want this for our upcoming book - Pub Paddles, the Best Canoe Trips in the South of England. A complementary book if we use it!

Good paddling,

Pete Knowles
    Rivers Publishing.

I think there are a couple of photos on here somewhere.

I am pretty sure there is at least one blogg by Gwing showing the sluice, you may however have difficulty contacting him as he hasn't posted in ages.

You may also want to contact Elvys, he's a great taker of photos, a local man and an all round gent

I have these - did I send you them already Pete?

Alternatively, you could give Grant at Kent canoes, as I bumped into him a few weeks ago, and he was taking quite a few photos of his friends and family running the shute.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Hi Pete,

PM sent but can't top Matto's photos I'm afraid.

One thing to mention, my understanding is that the canoe shoot is now only suitable for kayaks after several open canoes got a bit mangled at the bottom of the pass (one with me in it!). This was based on info posted on the EA Allington Lock site although I can't find this info on there now. Might be worth a pm to Medway Squirrel who should be able to confirm.

Cheers

John

Nah, I don't think it's changed really. I watched all Grant's crew go down just a few weeks ago and it looked about the same to me. One went down tandem and there was a bit of a clonk, but it was always like that. I think the EA advice is playing safe and I appreciate they have to do that.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Yes, the pass has been repaired so nice and smooth, you just need to judge how you load your vessel to avoid any clonks..

Medway Squirrel
    http://www.allingtonlock.co.uk/

PS we're undertaking some works of a similar nature further up the river at the moment (for those that have seen it).
    It's nearly finished - I'll post more details very soon...