Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hello

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default Hello

    Hi, I've been lurking for months now, meaning to get involved, I saw my name mentioned on a thread, so thought I ought to come out of hiding!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lochwinnoch, Scotland
    Posts
    16,797
    Journal Entries
    2

    Default

    Tis good to have you out o the dark an with us here. Get yersel a charge o rum and settle in wi us.

    (normal service and language tomorrow )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Tis good to have you out o the dark an with us here. Get yersel a charge o rum and settle in wi us.

    (normal service and language tomorrow )

    MMMMMM my favourite tipple, Aaaaarrrrrrrr!

  4. #4

    Default

    Welcome Phil.
    I'm a new member myself and I've found so much usefull info on here allready and everyone is so pleasant and helpfull.
    Hope you enjoy the threads as much as I do.
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesham in Bucks.
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Welcome on board Phil. Pretty safe to unlurk I think, its a friendly place here ...
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.


  6. #6

    Default

    Hi Phil,

    Welcome to the forum and thanks again for your excellent coaching last Sunday. Was really valuable.

    Just need to kit myself out with a more robust paddle now!!

    (For others reading this - I managed to snap my resin reinforced laminated wooden paddle completely in two on the rapids at Symonds Yat).

    One thing it did bring home is the importance of carrying a spare on board and not leaving it in the car .

    Cheers

    Roly.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Sorry John but this just got me giggling:

    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)
    Rogue

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Sorry John but this just got me giggling:
    Hmmm, that's scary Rogue, your on the same wavelength as me. Don't worry John we know what you mean really!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukrols View Post
    Hi Phil,

    Welcome to the forum and thanks again for your excellent coaching last Sunday. Was really valuable.

    Just need to kit myself out with a more robust paddle now!!

    (For others reading this - I managed to snap my resin reinforced laminated wooden paddle completely in two on the rapids at Symonds Yat).

    One thing it did bring home is the importance of carrying a spare on board and not leaving it in the car .

    Cheers

    Roly.
    The Mighty Yat - not the place for the faint hearted (or wooden paddles!), we're all livin' and learnin'

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    465

    Default

    I snapped a brand new canoe pole on the yat.
    Rogue

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I snapped a brand new canoe pole on the yat.
    I'm guessing it was composite????

    I've seen the future and it's made of aluminium!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Sorry John but this just got me giggling:
    Think I've seen John driving a shuttle....

    Here he is...


    Sry!


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    That's priceless

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hadley View Post
    I'm guessing it was composite????

    I've seen the future and it's made of aluminium!
    Yes, I saw Ian and ce were using ali poles at matlock. I find them a bit cold but they are better.
    Rogue

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Yes, I saw Ian and ce were using ali poles at matlock. I find them a bit cold but they are better.
    I was too pre-occupied with trying to maintain balance to notice the cold! - having said that, the 3 times I fell out the water temp wasn't too chilly

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    I do own a laminated wooden pole with brass end caps, it's a thing of beauty so doesn't come out very often I'm afraid, I really must use it more.

    Ian, you fell in three times? I'd go back to the guy who taught you to pole and demand a refund! I bet he didn't fall in did he?

    We did have someone fall in poling up the Yat on Sunday - yep me again!

    I was trying to pole up the top wave though, so it was always on the cards!

    Mondays group just turned into poleaholics, I couldn't get the poles off them!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hadley View Post
    Ian, you fell in three times? I'd go back to the guy who taught you to pole and demand a refund! I bet he didn't fall in did he?

    Now you come to mention it.........


    Perhaps this poling lark is about being in a canoe 'some' of the time

  18. #18

    Default

    Hi Phil, Got an avatar to match my sig now.
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    That's great John.

    In all seriousness, how do you get on with an inflatable canoe, I can see the major advantage is transportation, but how does it paddle generally, and what about in any kind of wind?

  20. #20

    Default

    Hi Phil.
    I love the portability as you said but it is so comfey to sit in when fishing. last week on a sea loch I was out for four hours for three days running and after each trip I felt great, no aching muscles, num bums or anything like that. Yes, a bit of hard work in the wind but I tied up to a marker buoy on the third day. I wish I had seen it earlier. Its as tough as old boots, will be great to sleep in as the floor is inflatable also. Just throw a tarp between some trees, drag the canoe under and I will sleep like a log I hope. Its now rolled up in a bag under the stairs out of the damp and ready for the next trip. I just need some paddles now instead of the ones that came with it. Another plus for me is the fact that my wife uses the ford and my runaround is only a citreon AX which would dissapear under a normal size canoe.
    As its a new toy at the moment I will add more details as it gets used more.
    All the best
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Sounds great, I particularly like the bit where it turns into the ultimate Thermarest at night!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •