Thread: Ascension day weekend trip on the Lahn, Germany

Default Ascension day weekend trip on the Lahn, Germany

The weather was looking good for the Ascension day weekend - which means a 4 day weekend as most companies here shut down for the friday to bridge to the weekend. A few days before I had suggested to hubbie that we go to the Lahn, a tour river not to far from where we live, which I have never got round to paddling.

Wednesday night we drove to Wetzelar and camped. Suprisingly the field reserved for hikers, canoeists and cyclists was empty! Thursday morning the put-in at Wetzlar is really easy. You can nearly drive your car into the river.

Shortly after the start, we lined over a weir which had a wooden platform built along the weir to make things easy.
    A few km further, we encountered another German engineering innovation, a set of rollers to help pull your boat out of the water and guide it down the weir.

After these two interesting ways of getting round weirs, the rest of the river consists of locks.
    Until Limburg, you have to operate them yourself.

which means I stay in the boat and hubbie has to work the gates.

A little later, a tunnel at Weilburg leads to a lock

We spent our first evening after paddling 34 km in Odersbach. Unfortunately here the camping was full and noisy but there were other paddlers to exchange stories and drink a beer with.

The next day we paddled past Runkel

and on to Limburg a/d/ Lahn.

The city camping was also crowded but we stayed here so that we could wander round the town and enjoy a meal on a square surrounded by timber frame houses.

After Limburg, the locks are no longer self-service and are manned between 10 and 18.30 which means there is no hurry to get up early in the mornings.

We got out in Diez to look around and enjoy a coffee. The castle is a youth hostel nowadays.

After Limburg, the river winds its way thru wooded valleys.

In contrast to the crowded campsites from the previous two nights, on saturday evening we camped just past the Rupbach and shared the camping field with just one other family who were paddling a Klepper folding kayak.

Despite seconding the meaning of another thread that you should always a BA, the weather was so warm and the river so gentle, our PFD's were just taken as luggage in the boat.

Further on, you also start to see vineyards on the hills.

Around 14.00 pm sunday afternoon we arrived in Nassau, 107 km from our starting place.

Hubbie then took a train back to Wetzlar to collect the car, while I waited around lazing in the sun.

The trip could be continued further downstream and started further upstream to make a longer (6?) day trip for those with more time.

The great advantage of this river, is the railway line, which allows you to get back to the car. There are numerous small stations so you do not have to plan the trip exactly but just stop when time is up.

sorry, this blogg had somehow escaped me until now. it looks like a very nice area with the old towns and vinyards along the river. also that tunnel looks sort of interesting. i also seem to spend part of my paddling in dark, narrow spaces these days
    thanks for posting this, it gave me an idea for another trip!

Wow, what a trip and the weather was superb. Thanks for posting such a lovely blog with great pics.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Fancy that one too, not too far from here (Luxembourg) and nice architecture to look at.
    Nice photo's
    Wilf
    Bacon sarnie anyone ?

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

The trip could be continued further downstream and started further upstream to make a longer (6?) day trip for those with more time.

The great advantage of this river, is the railway line, which allows you to get back to the car. There are numerous small stations so you do not have to plan the trip exactly but just stop when time is up.
    Boy am I pleased to visit my mother this year (in Germany), RIver Lahn, here I come. That wooded stretch and those towns look great!!!

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

The scenery on this trip is superb and very different from the UK. I really need that lottery win so I can spend my time travelling to the places I see in these bloggs instead of working to pay the bills.
    John

Lots of engineering works on the river there.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.