Thread: Hello (Loch Lomond info please)

Default Hello (Loch Lomond info please)

Hi All
    I'm rather new to all this virtual stuff so sorry if I come across as a letter writer!
    Found the site by searching Google for Loch Lomond Islands info. T'wife and I are up there from 15th May for a week and wondered what the wild camping situation was on the islands, picked up tips from several "Theads" (NEW WORD TO ME) Thought I should join as seems to be a good way of exchanging Info. T'wife and I have been Canoeing for 40 years though we are still teenagers really, went to Algonquin 2 years ago and Ullapool area last year. Algonquin was great, Scotland was even better. We Walk and Run and enjoy the camping thing as much as Canoeing. I read Path of the Paddle and Song of the Paddle in the early 80's and keep them beside the bed in our spare bedroom for visitors to read so I feel I have earned the right to Join! Any information on Lomond and area would be gratefully recieved. PS what are tags and Icons?

Smile

Welcome along!

Letter writing style is fine, please don't try any text speak stuff or any of that nonsense

Plenty people wild camp on the island on Loch Lomond, though this year they are cracking down on anyone displaying yobish behaviour (about time too). But hopefully it won't affect any responsible campers.

Tags are just words that you can add to make future searches easier, and Icons Just mean you get a smilie at the top of your post.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Thanks Silvergirl See an Icon!!

I'll have a word with T'wife about yobish behaviour but it's a bit late to expect much improvement
    Which Islands are OK for Camping or is that too complex a question for a simple answer. Is a big man with a gun likely to shoot us?

Very unlikely that a big man with a gun will shoot you (unless they have heard about your wifes behaviour )

All the central islands should be fine ie, inchtavannach, Inchconnachan (of the wallabies), Inchmoan, Inchcruin etc

You can't camp on inchcailloch unless you're booked at the campsite (contact Balmaha visitor centre for info)

I'd avoid Inchmurrin (big hotel) and Inchfad (houses)

I'll add that you're looking for loch lommond info to your thread title so that more local people see it.

'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Thumbs up Welcome

Hi there Bones and Good lady, mind from what you say Good might be an overstatement.
    A warm Welcome to the forum, I too am from the Midlands S-o-T to be precise, as far as Loch Lomond is concerned you dont have to worry about a man with a big gun, its the Wallabies with big guns that will have you though.
    Any way Welcome and Happy PaddlingRegards Bill

Hi Canal Voyaguer

I,ve seen Crocodile Dundee so I know what a Kangeroo with a Rifle can do.

Hi Bones and a warm welcome

I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice here

happy paddling

Andy

Hi No1 Photographer

If your admitting to Steam Trains I'll admit to being a Bird Watcher
    I'm already impressed with the information I have recieved this afternoon

Welcome to Song of the Paddle

I have camped on many of the islands on Loch Lomond and the only problems a responsible camper is likely to encounter are midgies and perhaps struggling to find a spot for a tent. Using a hammock solves the latter and almost nothing solves the former so pick a site with a bit of a breeze

I tend to go to the islands that are quieter so tend to only camp on the wallaby island in the winter or when taking people who really want to see the wallabies.
    John

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.