Thread: Loch Tay- Killin to Aberfelby

Default Loch Tay- Killin to Aberfelby

Hello all, i hope you can help.

How long would it take to paddle from Killin to Aberfeldy? If more than 8 hours, is there a suitable interim start point on the Loch?

In addition, what are the river conditions from Kenmore to Aberfeldy- would they be suitable for novices?

Regards.

I did it last summer, I thought it would take me about 4 hours. No where near that. So I carried on down to 'Tully. The water level was high for that time of year, but even so it is not a long trip.

You will be well inside eight hours.

W
    www.kayakcoach.co.uk - Wilf's personal website

Hi there,
    I used to live in Killin, and work in Aberfeldy. The trip is an all day affair. If you put in at the Killin Hotel at 8am, you will get to 'Feldy in between 8-10hrs, wind dependant. (The wind usually blows in that direction anyway.)
    A truly great paddle, but a good grind in one shift, with only G2 water between Kenmore and 'Feldy.

I am so baffled by this.

It only took about a couple of hours to go from 'Feldy down to Tully.

I was in an Explorer 15, not a jet boat!

Has anyone got an explanation for this phenomenon?

It was last summer, I know the local said the river was "up" but it was hardly a raging torrent.

He is not going from 'Feldy to 'Tully, he is going from Killin to 'Feldy. Bare in mind that Loch Tay is 17 miles long, and another 14 from Kenmore to Aberfeldy.

Journal Entries

Think you're thinking of a different start point Wilf.
    Killin is at the other end of the loch from the river entrance.

the loch itself I'd break into two days but then I'm a lightweight. It could probably be done in 8 - 10 hrs though.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Ah, Kenmore is where I put in, not Killin!, my mistake. I misread the initial post.

Just whilst I think about it, has anyone boated the Falls of Dochart?
    Last edited by wilf; 28th-April-2009 at 05:45 PM.

don't know anyone who's done the falls; but I do know of someone who nearly did and their boat did!

Quote Originally Posted by mattT View Post
    don't know anyone who's done the falls; but I do know of someone who nearly did and their boat did!

Steve Macdonald and Steve Cam took a trailer of boats up there years ago and kept running it till they found a Line

so im told LOL

Willie
    Inside every adult there is a child wondering, "What Happened!!"]

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrobson View Post
    Hello all, i hope you can help.

How long would it take to paddle from Killin to Aberfeldy? If more than 8 hours, is there a suitable interim start point on the Loch?

In addition, what are the river conditions from Kenmore to Aberfeldy- would they be suitable for novices?

Regards.
    This will take you a full day if the wind is with you as has been said before the loch is 17miles long. some people break it up by camping half way.

The wind normaly co-operates and blows from Killin to Kenmore but adjust time if paddling into it LOL

I have paddled From Kenmore to feldy in an hour and a half on my own and taken a full day whilst coaching a group. so its all down to you realy.

Have fun on your journey

Willie

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mattT View Post
    Seeing as I am now with Steve M old employer, maybe I need to borrow said trailer and boats...and give it a go...

I do plan a canoe to work this summer as well (Killin to Ardeonaig) - nice early start....

Quote Originally Posted by matt_outandabout View Post
    Seeing as I am now with Steve M old employer, maybe I need to borrow said trailer and boats...and give it a go...

I do plan a canoe to work this summer as well (Killin to Ardeonaig) - nice early start....
    im up there floating around mon and tue next week

were up all weekend but family comes first!!

Marianne is doing her 3* mon and tue so ill be at a loose end if you fancy a paddle!!

Willie

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Just whilst I think about it, has anyone boated the Falls of Dochart?
    Never in an open - and not in a kayak since 1985 - you want a fair bit of water for the slot under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Willag_mac View Post
    im up there floating around mon and tue next week

were up all weekend but family comes first!!

Marianne is doing her 3* mon and tue so ill be at a loose end if you fancy a paddle!!

Willie
    We move up on Thursday, so you are a bit premature.

Quote Originally Posted by mrobson View Post
    In answer to this part of the question, that stretch is Grade 2 there are a couple of small rapids but nothing special at normal water levels, three weeks ago the water level was high and very fast flowing with hardly any rocks showing, two weeks ago it was bump and scrape as the water level dropped over 14" in the week, so something to watch out for.

Nice trip though

Cheers Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Canoe View Post
    In answer to this part of the question, that stretch is Grade 2 there are a couple of small rapids but nothing special at normal water levels, three weeks ago the water level was high and very fast flowing with hardly any rocks showing, two weeks ago it was bump and scrape as the water level dropped over 14" in the week, so something to watch out for.

Nice trip though

Cheers Graeme

I agree with you graeme but the only bit that s a Grade 2 is Chinese bridge and this is easily portaged the rest of the river is grade 1

willie

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

...and watch out for sweepers. especially in low water levels the only channel with depth is usually the outside of a bend, which usually has a tree dragging in it

PWC
    PWC

Default Water levels rising

Water levels are rising at present, probably due to the 48 hours of rain in the last three days. I did a section of the Tummel and Tay yesterday and it was higher than last week but lower than a month or two ago.

There seemed to be quite a few extra trees down on the Tummel between Pitlochry and where it meets the Tay. I know you are not doing that section but Kenmore to Tully may well be the same.

Blue

Default Novice & river !!!!

Assume 2 Paddlers, in a Canadian Open boat, & a nice helpful breeze say a good 5hrs to do the Loch. Would agree 2hrs ish to Aberfeldy.

You said:
    ...would they be suitable for novices?

Moving water is a completely different proposition, would only advise you travel with an experienced/qualified river canoeist/instructor for first time.
    In G1 - G2 you can get into a lot of trouble, very quickly!

Would agree with above...nr Tay mouth castle, just under & after Chinese bridge, is one challanging spot.

Be safe.

This was the first river i ever did. Found the first part from Kenmore to Aberfeldy very easy. Bit of a bounce at the bridge but nothing serious. Gandtully was a different kettle of fish. The first boat went for it and bottled it at the last minute. We then ran straight into the back of them and the two of us went over the first drop sideways. Wish i had videoed the synchronised Kayak scatter
    Same thing at Stanley. Sideways down the weir. We were getting decidely short of paddles by this time.
    Eventually got to our pick up point at perth race course to find there was a race meet on and the lift couldnt get to us. This was the days before mobile phones. Ended up standing on the main road bridge dripping wet looking for our lift.
    Comedy of errors and some real dodgy moments but wouldnt have missed it for the world.
    One valuable lesson, always wear the pudding bowls in rough water. One guy broke a couple of ribs and another ripped a finger nail off but i think it would have been worse without the hats. Think my napper hit every boulder in Grandtully.