Thread: New and needing help

Default New and needing help

Hello everyone. At the tender age of 56 I've decided to get a canoe and explore coastal backwaters and rivers - I live on the Essex coast. However after a visit to a dealer and speaking to local canoe club I'm totally confused. I'll be accompanied by wife plus large dog (think Labrador size). I've always taken part in sport and am still fit so expect I'll do most of the paddling.
    Would appreciate views on canoes to be considered (I'll be buying a used one) and just as importantly, those to be avoided. If anyone responding has any pics that will help me get an idea of appearance, so much the better.

Default Rob F

I bought an Old Town 174 (17 feet 4 inches) about 20 years ago made of Royalex.
    It's BIG (think Viking ship) & heavy but very very stable. I've had myself my 3 daughters & my 3 nephews in it & it behaved flawlessly.
    My Wolfhound (think BIG again...12.5 stone BIG) would never get out of it.
    You know it's a stable boat when you have a small donkey running about and it still behaves.
    The main problem is the weight...my wife simply finds it too much to lift & I personally think it's too heavy for my car roof rack (about 90 pounds). I've invested in a trailer.
    I recently did a weekend trip with my brother-in -law with folk who had much sleeker & lighter craft but we led the way & never batted an eyelid going through the choppier water.
    If I knew then what I know now I'd probably have bought a 16 foot prospector...lighter & easier to paddle solo.
    At the moment I am after a solo Canadian as I do tend to do most paddling alone or with my brother-in-law on his sit-on kayak.
    Cheers
    RobF

Quote Originally Posted by rob.fielding View Post
    The main problem is the weight...my wife simply finds it too much to lift
    Rob

Maybe if you gave her a hand she would find it easier to lift it ????

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Mmmm............. big topic and many threads on a similar vein. Certain designs will cope better with certain conditions, I am sure those with a greater knowledge will point out suitable design features that a canoe should or should not have for coping with coastal backwaters.

I would suggest then you try out a range of suitable canoes at a dealer or club take them out with your wife on board [give her a paddle, just in case the urge overcomes her], not so sure you'll be able to take the dog though.

List down all the factors you want from the canoe, and test them out.

Would you buy a car without giving it a test drive?

Default Coastal canoes

A 174 will do as will any long boat that tracks well. Clipper make boats for open water but there may not be a dealer in the uk any more. Lots of OLDTOWN 174s come up secondhand but they are heavy.

First, Welcome to Song of the Paddle, glad you found us.

On the canoe front I cannot really expand much on the existing advice as I have not done any sea paddling but certainly getting a paddle in the possible canoes is a good idea.
    John

You know; there are a number of good canoes out there that will work for what you want but I have to promote the Prospector hull design. I figure if I promote it enough I may get into canoe heaven...instead of where the kayakers go.

A well trained dog is good to adjust trim...A well trained wife is a good thing if you like to fish.

Prospector + Wife + Dog + 3 days Gear

Prospector Solo + Dog

Prospector + 21 days Gear + Dog + Wife

Prospector + 1 days Gear + Dog + 2 small Girls
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Hi Bounce,

I paddled a 174 in the lakes for a week solo, rock solid boat like all OT Discos, but if your wife decides that lounging back with a parasol is what paddling is all about it could be a little too much of a barge with just you paddling, and they are very heavy off the water. A slightly shorter prospector type boat made of royalex (lighter than poly/superlink plastic) may serve you better depending on the weight of you and the crew.

I paddle solo so my opinion is really of little merit though!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    I may get into canoe heaven...instead of where the kayakers go.

Prospector Solo + Dog
    WhyAyeMan, how can you go to heaven when you paddle with a hound from hell? Do laser beams fire out of it's eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    Hi Bounce,

I paddled a 174 in the lakes for a week solo, rock solid boat like all OT Discos, but if your wife decides that lounging back with a parasol is what paddling is all about it could be a little too much of a barge with just you paddling, and they are very heavy off the water. A slightly shorter prospector type boat made of royalex (lighter than poly/superlink plastic) may serve you better depending on the weight of you and the crew.

I paddle solo so my opinion is really of little merit though!

WhyAyeMan, how can you go to heaven when you paddle with a hound from hell? Do laser beams fire out of it's eyes?
    I agree with Salaak. The Discovery 174 is more boat than I would care to paddle all alone - especially if I had a passenger (a wife). I've paddled a little in the ocean, in Alaska, and quite a bit in Lake Superior, and you need to have some power if you are paddling in that kind of water. For that kind of work, I would want something fast and sleek, except that usually means initial stability problems - I suspect the prospector design would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Mmmm............. big topic and many threads on a similar vein. Certain designs will cope better with certain conditions, I am sure those with a greater knowledge will point out suitable design features that a canoe should or should not have for coping with coastal backwaters.

I would suggest then you try out a range of suitable canoes at a dealer or club take them out with your wife on board [give her a paddle, just in case the urge overcomes her], not so sure you'll be able to take the dog though.

List down all the factors you want from the canoe, and test them out.

Would you buy a car without giving it a test drive?
    Yes.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Rule number one of canoeing.

Only dogs are allowed to be passengers. Change your wife!

I would think she will get pretty bored with nothing to do, and chilly too. I'm sure she will give you hand, esp. if you buy her a bent shaft paddle.

you might like to look at the Spirit II form Wenonah. It will track better than a Prospector, and weighs a resonable 66lb. Could be paddled solo with a double blade?
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post

No laser beams from his eyes but occasionally toxic gas from under his tail. He has five approved positions in the canoe depending on what I am up to.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Comfort too...

Hi,

I have a dagger reflection 16 in royalex that I bought second hand. It's one of the fastest and lightest canoes I've ever paddled but it's also very tippy if you r both sitting on the seats as opposed to kneeling! Put it this way with Midgie (wife), the dog n me in it, we could not keep from tipping it while sitting on the seats on even calm water! However, while kneeling, it's fantastic so we r just gonna have to practice kneeling for longer!
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Woodsmoke, We paddled your (new) canoe last year 2 adults + 2children in a force 4 gusting up to 6. I was sitting and didn't find it at all tippy . The kids were sitting on the floor though .

I'd also reccomend Prospector style, as it is a good alrounder, perhaps not the fastest though. You won't need anything over 16' unless you are planning on lots of multi-day trips.

Cost may be more of a deciding factor, even secondhand Rx prospectors may cost more than a new plastic canoe.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default A good starting point

Thanks to all for good advice. Have now enrolled wife at gym to build up muscles. On a serious note though I've decided to start looking at the Prospector range first and go from there.

Default East Coast river paddling

Not sure where you are based but the Suffolk Open Canoe Club paddle from Woodbridge, on the tidal River Deben, on Tuesday evenings. There is almost always a spare place in a double, or another person along to share a borrowed double. I'm sure there's a link on the Open Canoe Association site for contact.