Thread: Buoyancy Aid on a plane?

Default Buoyancy Aid on a plane?

I'm flying home at the end of next week (with Squeasy Jet) and the thought has just struck me:

Can you take a buoyancy aid on a plane?

To the trained eye of a paddler or sailor it's clearly harmless, but I just wander what it would look like through an x-ray machine.

Has anyone done it before, and has anyone had any issues?

I think I'll take my knife out and leave that here, but if anyone has any more advice it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

George

Which sort? One with a gas canister that expands, or one that is plain poly-foam

The former will probably be banned (classed as 'explosive')
    The latter should be no problem.

That is my opinion. When making further enquiries make sure you are clear what type of construction it is.

In one sense, the second type is just a padded safety vest!

Philip

If you wear it - you might avoid having to queue !!!! !

Journal Entries

I've take a regular foam BA on a plane before it was in my checked bags and no probs, the rescue knife went with it.

You can check in lots of stuff that can't come in the cabin with you, compressed gas cylinders are a no no so self inflating one are out (but strangely you might be allowed it as hand luggage holds aren't pressurised)

best check with the airline ( and get a name of who you spoke to)
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Rather than take it as hand luggage, check it in. I travel alot with a huge range of tools and test gear (including knives and very evil looking scientific equipment and never have a problem checking it in). A word of advice though, don't overpack the bag as it often looks to me like the bag is opened to be checked and if you pack too well they won't get it all back in!

I also put a large notice in the bag with my mobile number and flight details so they could easily contact me if they needed to.

I've just noticed you are with easyjet so I guess you pay for checked bags? Why not check in your bag and BA and bring back your knife as well?

Graham

Thanks all for your suggestions and reassurements! It is a foam job, an inflating one would put me off falling in... And, Graham, your note sounds like a very good idea, I shall have to borrow that one.

I would like to see how a fully kitted up paddler would get on with customs, but I think I'll leave that for someone else to experiment with.

Thanks again, guys,

George

I fly quite a bit with kit and never had any real problems. I did worry about a kellykettle, I imagine that looks dodgy in Xray, but nothing was said.

I was pulled over in Inverness and my bag was examined, but I think the guy just wanted to ask about the paddling.

We have had a few problems with hand luggage, usually people forgetting about penknives etc in rucksacks, my mate had his gaffa tape confiscated - presumably in case we taped the pilot up with it!

I now lock my bag with TSA locks which airport security can open, alternatively I use cable ties, so they can cut them off without destroying ordinary padlocks.

The other issue I often have is paddling the morning of the flight so then packing wet kit which can take you over the weight limit.

I did a two week trip on the Colorado a couple of years ago and my kit was stinking, security did check through my bag - I imagine that wasn't a pleasant task!!!

Quote Originally Posted by white_ensign View Post
    I'm flying home at the end of next week (with Squeasy Jet) and the thought has just struck me:

Can you take a buoyancy aid on a plane?
    I'm no expert in aviation etiquette but wouldn't a parachute be more use?
    If a man opens his mouth to speak and there is no woman around, is he still wrong?

Journal Entries

Mine has been to the UK twice rescue knife and all.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

I keep reading this thread title and all I can think is.

YouTube - Snakes on a Plane - The TV Edit - The famous line

When you land, check there's nothing in the BA pocket, if you find something wriggley, remember not to swear.

Just wear it and if questioned tell em you don't trust the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainflex View Post
    Just wear it and if questioned tell em you don't trust the driver.
    LMAO
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

quote=bikemec

You can check in lots of stuff that can't come in the cabin with you, compressed gas cylinders are a no no so self inflating one are out (but strangely you might be allowed it as hand luggage holds aren't pressurised)

I believe you are incorrect there, it is the whole plane that is pressurised. It is much easier to make a strong cylinder shape than a half cylinder. When in flight the cabin and hold are a similar pressure to being at 8000ft.

Tallboy

The onl hold luggage that I have ever had questioned was my fathers ashes in a plastic urn!
    Knives and spears etc go in the hold without question.....

The whole plane is pressurised. If it wasn't your checked in liquids would be either burst or frozen when you got to your destination.
    It doesn't bear thinking about what would happen to the dogs and cats etc that are carried in the hold
    I'm not young enough to know everything

Default Check it or carry it

I would check it in the hold.
    Airlines get "nervous" when passengers want to take additional safety equipment into the cabin with them.
    I know it's only a boyancy aid but they might treat it with the same suspicion as a gas mask or a paracute.

Why don't you just use the lifejacket that will be under you seat?