Thread: Wild campsites on the River Spey

Default Wild campsites on the River Spey

We are planning to paddle the River Spey next week and have booked the first campsites but we are running out of places to camp.

First night is at Boat of Balliefurth, second night at Blacksboat, we are then ideally looking for camping a days paddle from Blacksboat.

There are 3 of us paddling solo boats.
    Any suggestions or contact numbers would be gratefully received
    Thanks
    Wenonah Wilderness and Bell Yellowstone

Journal Entries

We did it last year and had a wee short one on the third day, we went to Craigellachie and had a pub dinner Chainsaw stamp of approval for that idea!! It wasn't far but the site was OK. More info here and some here note the campsite is about 300m from the river bank so if you're leaving the boats maybe padlock them together if you're paranoid. We didn't and there was no hassle location here under the big blue P

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Default wild camping on the river spey

not sure if this is of any help for sites but there is a good blog
    "over the hills and far away to get in a boat and do the spey" this trip was done by warthog and several other but might help
    enjoy your paddle cragger
    People keep telling me im in my second childhood I never left my first

Default Time to the sea

Thanks for that chainsaw, how long did it take you from the campsite to the sea on the final day and how high was the water levels.
    Cheers
    Wenonah Wilderness and Bell Yellowstone

Journal Entries

Water levels were really poor, scrapey scrapey!

According to the exif info on the photos, (the times are wrong but the period is good) one was at 12:49 and one was at 18:39 so about 6 hours with lunch.

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Just a word of caution, be careful to set camp a few feet above the water level, it comes up fast as I discovered a couple of years ago when 3 of us had to break camp and shift onto higher ground in the middle of the night. It had been raining hard on the Cairngorms but not where we were so we had no idea until I noticed the level had come up by big time in only a couple of hours and was about to swamp our tents. An hour later and the bank we were on was under 2 feet of fast flowing water pitch

Hello, i was up there in mid march. We did from Advie to the sea over 3 short paddling days. (We weren't much good at early starts and shuttled the vehicles down as we went along.)

Camped on the downstream end of island GR 200414. Plenty of firewood, ideal for the hammock but may get a little overgrown as the year progresses. Island quite high in places so should be ok in all but the highest levels.

2nd night on R bank at GR 305502(ish) again plenty of firewood.
    Both sites were not overlooked by anyone and were fine fine for a quick bivi.

The perfectly manicured lawns all along the Spey look lovely for pitching up on but i'm sure that might upset somebody.

I got back yesterday from a trip, Newtonmore to the sea, 2 1/2 days in low water.

We didn't plan camp sites, there is no need. Paddle until a bit tired, look for spot. Stop.

We used a 'lawn' for the second night, but were away early the next day. Hamock users will have more options. Travel light, be invisible, no problems
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

Was it paddlable from Newtonmore levels wise?

heading that way Friday
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Was it paddlable from Newtonmore levels wise?

heading that way Friday
    Thin but doable. Had to get out and push between Newtonmore and Kinguise twice , plus some scrape. There was some scrape and push much lower down too, but not very much.

A few KM from the end there was a tree in the flow, which turned out to be two trees...............almost got nabbed, needed very fast reactions. The other boat avoided via a get out and push line.

Have fun.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2