Thread: Lake District - October Half Term Holidays

Default Lake District - October Half Term Holidays

Much to my surprise I have managed to persuade my Better Half to take a trip up to the Lake District for the October half term holidays.

The plan is to base our selves around Keswick or close by for a few days so that can paddle Derwent Water, maybe others and also get a little bit of walking in too

Does anybody fancy meeting up? We’ll (Helen & I plus the girls (5 & 7)) be there 26/27th October and maybe a day either side.

Camping at this time of year (at least for us) is out and I am currently looking for suitable accommodation.

Anybody interested?

Default Lakes at October Half Term

I'm keen to meet (& camp) for a few days in the October HT.
    Camping at Keswick.
    Could start Friday 20 Oct ... up to Friday 27 Oct.
    Rob F

Rob,

Good news, I drop you a PM with my plans (or lack of them) shortly.

Look forward to meeting up.

Andy

I'll be knocking about somewhere probably Coniston,keep us informed.
    If your after a caravan we've just had 2 nights at http://www.greenhowe.com/ it made a nice change from a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by rob.fielding View Post
    I'm keen to meet (& camp) for a few days in the October HT.
    Camping at Keswick.
    Could start Friday 20 Oct ... up to Friday 27 Oct.
    Rob F
    Where's the campsite located? I fancy this trip...

Jac < >

Default Keswick (October Half Term)

Here is the site I'm thinking of.
    It's a Camping & Caravan site...but you don't need to be a member.
    Details For Keswick

Campsite Description

"Visit the north lakes"
    Walkers, ramblers and all those who enjoy the great outdoors will love our Keswick Site. On the shore of Derwentwater, you will be a couple of minutes from the centre of town. Look out for the red squirrels.

Keswick is home to several museums, including the Local History Museum, housed in a building created for tourists in Victorian times. The Cars of the Stars Museum includes cars belonging to both Noddy and James Bond. Become confused at The Puzzling Place in town, where seeing is not always believing. Bikes, rowing boats and motor boats can all be hired in Keswick. A regular ferry service operates around the lake and discounted tickets are available on Site. The Theatre by the Lake is on the shores of Derwentwater. The Dodd viewpoint and Whinlatter Visitor Centre give the opportunity to watch the ospreys in flight over Bassenthwaite Lake. Take the car over the Honister Pass to the beautiful Lake Buttermere. Some of the best boot-fitters in the country can be found locally. Explore Wordsworth country. Cockermouth is home to Jennings Castle Brewery, in the shadow of Cockermouth castle. The coast at Maryport and the Scottish Borders are a drive away. Carlisle has a 900-year-old castle, a cathedral and the Birdoswald Roman Fort and Visitor Centre.
    Member's Opinion

"I have just returned from an eight-day holiday with my family on the wonderful Site at Keswick and feel I must express my appreciation. " Frank & Yvonne Parkinson
    Did You Know

Literary personalities like Southey, Coleridge, Wordsworth and Ruskin, were influential in attracting the early tourists to Keswick.
    Worth Noting

Minimum booking period for Club Service pitches July/August and English Bank Holidays is 5 nights, all other times 3 nights. Minimum booking period for Club Standard pitches July/August and English Bank Holidays is 3 nights, all other times 2 nights. Canoes and windsurfers to be charged 50% of launching fees. There may be restrictions on the availability of pitches and use of awnings due to possibility of Site flooding. Towcars must remain on Site overnight. Please seek further advice from the Holiday Site Managers. Well stocked shop on Site
    Multi Map Directions

Click here to open a road map showing directions to Keswick.
    Regional Weather Check

Want to know what the weather will be like during your stay at this site? Find out by clicking the Met Office link to see the forcast for the area over the next few days.
    Special Needs

Cycle Routes

Click here to find the local cycle routes from the National Cycle Network.
    Public Transport

Nearest train station : Penrith – 17 miles
    Nearest bus : 1/2 mile
    David Bellamy Site Award

More sites with the following Club publications

Site opens : 2nd February 2006

Site closes : 27th November 2006

Site Camping Units

Non Members welcome

Address Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club SiteCrow Park RoadKeswickCumbriaCA12 5EP Contact Details Telephone: 01768 772392. No calls after 8pm please. Site Managers

Simon Deeley
    Tracey Fleming
    Arrivals after 8pm are only permitted by prior arrangement direct with the Holiday Site Managers.

Map Ref

089/258234
    GPS Ref

NY 2580 2340
    Pitch Information

250 Pitches.

Nearest Club Sites

Derwentwater - Main site and The Oval.....adjacent Derwentwater - Walker Park.....adjacent Troutbeck.....9 miles Windermere.....28 milesFees

Basic charges associated with this site. (Click here to see table of seasons).
    HighMidLowAdult£7.90£6.60£6.00Child£2.15£2.05£2.05 Member's age concession rate£7.90£4.60£4.20Special family deal£19.05£16.30 Additional non member site fee£5.40£5.40£5.40Member back packer£4.90£4.70£4.30Non member back packer£6.30£6.00£5.55Children camp free in Low season if accompanied by an adult.
    Additional Fees

Other fees associated with this site.
    Standard FeeEarly arrival fee£5.00Club Service Pitch (per pitch, per night)£2.60Motorhome stop-off (per unit)£4.85Boat launching - Daily£2.50Boat launching - Weekly£12.10Facilities

The following facilities are available at this site; Club Service Pitch, Club Standard Pitch, Hardstanding, Grassy site, Some shelter, Toilets, Hot showers, Washbasins, Electric razor sockets, Parent and baby room, Drying room, Chemical toilet disposal point, Drinking water, Motorhome Stop-off, Laundry facilities, Dishwashing facilities, Ice pack freezing facility, Shop (food supplies), Childrens play area, Boating, Bottled gas, Payphone, Dogs welcome, Dog walk.
    I'm hoping to be there for 3 or 4 days between Mon 23 Oct & Fri 27 Oct.
    Hope to see some other members.
    Happy paddling
    Rob F
    Last edited by rob.fielding; 26th-September-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Makes it clearer

I might be able to make it Monday to Wednesday. anyone up for some easy (grade 2ish) rivers as well as lakes?

James G

Default Half Term Lake District

I knew this would happen...Cann't make it this HT...Daughter splitting with partner...needs Dads help!
    Family always comes first.
    I'll have to make do with a couple of day trips.
    I hope to see some of you at the Lakes next year.
    Cheers Rob F

I just realised that there are two half terms, this week and next week (I've got another week of teaching to do first). when is this trip planned for?

I will be up this week. Setting off tomorrow, arriving in Keswick on Thursday AM.

Current plan is a follows

Thursday is walk/scramble up Cats Bells.

Friday. Circular canoe trip of Derwantwater starting from the NT carpark on the south end. (Start time 10.30 ish)

Saturday. Either walk Coldale Horseshoe (or half of it - back down the valley path) or head over to coniston for paddle.

We are staying in a B&B in Bassenthwaite village

If anybody is around you'll have drop me a line today or see us in the carpark on Friday - we have a green Passat estate.