Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New Mohawk Build Quality

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,635

    Default New Mohawk Build Quality

    I have been doing quite alot of research into maybe getting a new boat to add to my wee fleet and quite liked the look of the Mohawk Viper. One of our club paddlers has a Mohawk Viper 12 and I tried it out on Sunday and found its build quality was very poor. I really liked the design of the boat and I thought this might be a one off but I was quite concerned when I also came across this:

    Defective Mohawk Viper


    CBoats.net also have highlighted concerns and disappointment with build quality. I quite like the look of the Mohawks but this has put me off quite a bit.
    Last edited by Mitch; 15th-April-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: double link
    Mitch

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,000

    Default

    I've seen and paddled quite a few Mohawks and yes they do look a little less substantial than some other boats, that said when paddled they have been a dream to the point where I have one on order. One comment has been that they have improved with the addition of another thwart (Nova 16) I guess that maybe one made from R-84 which I beleive is a lighter weight Royalex. I dare say If I stamped on my Wenonah it would do the same in some areas.
    Leone_blanco

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Hey mitch,

    I have to say that would be enough to put me off, I bet your supernova wouldn't do that!

    Thought about Esquif?, my mate bought one and I am impressed with the build and no shortage of boat styles.

    Cheers

    Daz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    Hey mitch,

    I have to say that would be enough to put me off, I bet your supernova wouldn't do that!

    Thought about Esquif?, my mate bought one and I am impressed with the build and no shortage of boat styles.

    Cheers

    Daz
    Hi Daz
    I must admit that has put me off and I think all the additional thwarts in the world might not sort that one out. As for the supernova I could jump on it off the house roof and it would not flex like that yellow Mohawk.
    Mitch

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi All,
    I have paddled with a number of Mohawk owners and demo boat borrowers recently, always on white water (some of it steep and boney!) I have seen no problems with any of the hulls. I've seen a Probe go down the left hand side of
    Low Force without its owner. The deck-plate was smashed to pieces but the hull was sound.
    All Royalex comes from the same place, it is made in different thicknesses. Check with the retailer before you buy. Generally white water boats are thicker.
    Kelvin.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Lakes
    Posts
    13,059

    Default

    Slight difference here, LAS247 is a mainly flatwater paddler, whereas Mitch is mainly ww. I wouldn't want a boat like that, if I were on moving water.

    TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

    May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    530

    Default

    I've got temporary custody of a Mohawk XL15 at the moment and have been testing it for a few days, admittedly on fairly placid water and have experienced no problems.

    It seems about as bomb proof as my 'indestructible' Pelican.
    Newbond

    'In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Slight difference here, LAS247 is a mainly flatwater paddler, whereas Mitch is mainly ww. I wouldn't want a boat like that, if I were on moving water.

    TGB
    Not sure what difference the type of water I favour has to do with the build quality of a canoe? I can only comment on what I've seen and as I've actually paddled several Mohawks I feel able to voice my opinion.
    Leone_blanco

  9. #9

    Default

    I have a Mohawk and a We-no-Nah for sure the fixtures and fitting on the Mohawk arn't up to the standered of the We-no-nah but hey the Mohawks a cheaper boat you get what you pay for.
    As for hull integrity the Mohawk has the We-no-nah licked the royalex is much tougher on the Mohawk.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    between Kinross and Alloa, Scotland
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    The Banker's Rodeo has been used twice (Avon and Tay) and has not retained its original shape very well.
    I'm not sure if this will affect its performance, but time will tell.

    It is a very light boat, so I guess something has to give..................
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

  11. #11

    Default

    Hi Mitch

    I would be interested to have the serial number of that boat so it could be checked out when it was built? Perhaps you could PM me this, it will be next week before I can do anything to track it down as I am away on holiday at the moment.

    What I can say is that we have not imported any of the Vipers into the UK yet so I am guessing that it could be quite an old boat?

    We certainly have had no issues with any of the SWWC Mohawk's we have supplied and our own demo boats have taken quite a hammering with no problems and some of them have run G4+ and the hull's are still solid although like all Royalex boats they have some battle scars.

    Mohawk changed hands a couple of years ago and the build quality and materials QA has been upgaded.

    Cheers Graeme
    Last edited by Graeme @ YC; 16th-April-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    SWWC the way forward

    Coaching for skills and performance

  12. #12

    Default

    As an owner of a Mohawk Rodeo, who has landed it on many rocks and jagged things at speed; I can vouch for the quality.

    Ken
    www.kenhughescourses.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    doncaster area
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbond View Post
    I've got temporary custody of a Mohawk XL15 at the moment and have been testing it for a few days, admittedly on fairly placid water and have experienced no problems.

    It seems about as bomb proof as my 'indestructible' Pelican.
    i have used the boat Newbond has got on many days of white water fun and folly and at 24 stone and would think that im on the cusp of heavy paddlers ive done drops and class 3-4 waters in this boat and i see no probs with it and the fact that Newbond can see no differance in the stucture of the boat i sure should speak for its self.
    the vid shows what no one wants to see in a boat but there is info missing.
    Hows it been used
    Has it been looked after
    Hows it been stored
    club boat or perrsonal craft
    we need i think to a make an informed assess of any boat the full story and history of that craft.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Lakes
    Posts
    13,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    Not sure what difference the type of water I favour has to do with the build quality of a canoe? I can only comment on what I've seen and as I've actually paddled several Mohawks I feel able to voice my opinion.
    I didn't mean to offend. Only an offering, that if was likely to be bashing around a river, off drops and down weirs. That I wouldn't want a boat that distorted, if it got whacked.

    TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

    May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Canoe View Post
    Hi Mitch

    I would be interested to have the serial number of that boat so it could be checked out when it was built? Perhaps you could PM me this, it will be next week before I can do anything to track it down as I am away on holiday at the moment.

    What I can say is that we have not imported any of the Vipers into the UK yet so I am guessing that it could be quite an old boat?

    We certainly have had no issues with any of the SWWC Mohawk's we have supplied and our own demo boats have taken quite a hammering with no problems and some of them have run G4+ and the hull's are still solid although like all Royalex boats they have some battle scars.

    Mohawk changed hands a couple of years ago and the build quality and materials QA has been upgaded.

    Cheers Graeme
    100% Mohawk Viper
    This boat was shipped with two other boats around September last year to the Uk from the USA. Mike is away back to London for the next few weeks but I will mention your post to him next time he is out with the club. Anytime your up north with some demo boats let me know.
    Mitch

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    doncaster area
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    100% Mohawk Viper
    This boat was shipped with two other boats around September last year to the Uk from the USA. Mike is away back to London for the next few weeks but I will mention your post to him next time he is out with the club. Anytime your up north with some demo boats let me know.
    Graham is up in grandtully at the moment with the G.B. sarlom team but does it hink have a oc1 boat with him.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alloa Central Scotland
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    The Banker's Rodeo has been used twice (Avon and Tay) and has not retained its original shape very well.
    I'm not sure if this will affect its performance, but time will tell.

    It is a very light boat, so I guess something has to give..................
    Hi
    That doesent sound to good how has the shape changed ? I know these rivers pretty well and I wouldent say they are hard on boats ,and inthe past I have paddled with you and the banker so I know you can paddle very well , what happened did the boat just start to deform infront of your eyes .
    I have heard they are starting to use the lighter Royalex on WW boats and I dont think this is a good idea .
    I doubt I will still be paddling my Prelude when am older and greyer unless I can find older Dagger OC 1s in good nick .
    O wad some powrs the gift te ge us tae see oursele's as other see us

  18. #18

    Default

    I have a mohawk XL13 that I bought from Graeme at Yorkshire canoes which has just had a pretty hectic season on white water. It is totaly bombproof and has taken the knocks beautifully.

    Much of my paddling this season has been in fast moving shallow water and I am fairly well known for being hard on my boats. I have to say that the XL is built to last and the plastic is hard wearing.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    100% Mohawk Viper
    This boat was shipped with two other boats around September last year to the Uk from the USA. Mike is away back to London for the next few weeks but I will mention your post to him next time he is out with the club. Anytime your up north with some demo boats let me know.
    Hmm interesting I am not aware of any boats being shipped direct to customers from the USA last year, I will check when I get back to the office on Monday, all I can say is that if Mike has an issue with the boat we will happily have a look at it for him.

    Oh and yes we are up at Grandtully till Sunday late afternoon

    Cheers Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

    Coaching for skills and performance

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Canoe View Post
    Hmm interesting I am not aware of any boats being shipped direct to customers from the USA last year, I will check when I get back to the office on Monday, all I can say is that if Mike has an issue with the boat we will happily have a look at it for him.

    Oh and yes we are up at Grandtully till Sunday late afternoon

    Cheers Graeme
    Hi Graeme
    I do not want to get too analytical about this issue but mike and I have been good friends since primary school when he moved to America with his parents when we were 12. Mike now lives in the uk but owns property in the Uk and USA. His boats were in containers that were shipped to the uk along with the contents of one house; that also included one motorbike, two canoes and 2 kayaks. I will pass on your kind offer to look into this for him.

    Kind Regards
    Mitch
    Mitch

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Hi Graeme
    I do not want to get too analytical about this issue but mike and I have been good friends since primary school when he moved to America with his parents when we were 12. Mike now lives in the uk but owns property in the Uk and USA. His boats were in containers that were shipped to the uk along with the contents of one house; that also included one motorbike, two canoes and 2 kayaks. I will pass on your kind offer to look into this for him.

    Kind Regards
    Mitch
    I think when you said they were shipped last September as a reply to Graeme's comment, it kind of gave the impression they had been shipped as part of their original purchase journey...its the impression i got anyroad.

    Are you now saying this is a US purchased boat that has then been packaged with the contents of someones home and transported over to the UK? The original post did rather suggest a failure on the part of the Mowhawk importer!!!!! This further info suggests anything but...

    All my experiences with Mowhawk's have been those imported and built by YC the mojority of which are the WW type, these have all impressed me with there solid build quality...


    I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I have a mohawk XL13 that I bought from Graeme at Yorkshire canoes which has just had a pretty hectic season on white water. It is totaly bombproof and has taken the knocks beautifully.

    Much of my paddling this season has been in fast moving shallow water and I am fairly well known for being hard on my boats. I have to say that the XL is built to last and the plastic is hard wearing.
    Oops! I posted this while Emily was logged in.

    I should have logged in as myself but being old my memory isn't what it used to be, anyway this post should put things right.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Sussex.
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    I have been very happy with the build quality of my Probe 13. I bounced off a fair number of rocks on the Usk and have not been gentle with her.

    I would definitely buy another from YC.

    Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

  24. #24

    Default

    Anyone concerned at the build quality of Mohawk boats only need look at the Blog from the OC1 weekend. Lots of low water and rocks!



    Ken
    www.kenhughescourses.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •