Thread: Hello from N E Lanc's

Default Hello from N E Lanc's

Hi from the banks of the R. Ribble. Sounds idyllic but "NO" if you dare put foot let alone paddle in said sacred waters you risk being shoot or beaten to death with a salmon. ( actually chub ). It's not really that bad, but you still can't launch into this beautiful river. It's there to tease every day when you take the dog for a walk.
    Not to worry it's not that far to the Lakes,Lochs & Canals. I'am aiming to be on the water somewhere over the easter weekend, just haven't decided where yet, as wifey has injured her leg and foot. I will have to find a location with temperary disabled access. Most likely to be the Lancaster canal. So if anyone is on the same bit of water please stop me for a natter. Quentin is proudly displayed on the front of my Canoe.
    PS The Canoe is a 16' Green one.

Blackpool, Blackpool, United Kingdom, 105752519458380, Blackpool

Hi hedgehog that's a shame about the ribble i fancied a paddle from ribchester ,anyway maybe Sunday/Monday i will be heading to this part of the canal http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=16108
    ps i will be in an inflatable with a jack russell

Welcome Hedgehog you'll enjoy meeting up on the water with this motley crew

Sean
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Monday for the Lancaster canal is looking favourite from a weather point of view. Garstang is were I usually start and finnish because of the water side eating/boozers establishments. These put a nice end to a few hours of paddling. Saves on cooking and washing up too. Thats for more exiting expeditions, like a lakeland tour.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 8th-April-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Welcome shame about the river access. Something I still can't get my head round as the situation is so much different here.

Hope you have a good paddle over the weekend.
    John

Default Ribble

Hi Hedgehog,

There is some access to the Ribble, see this recent blog There may be some fishermen who will scowl at you but then again, they're probably the same grumpy people who would scowl at other pedestrians when they're walking on the streets.
    Anyway, you've got a longer reach and a better grip when armed with a paddle as opposed to a chub (I can't find a smlie for fish-slapping)

I live near the tidal bit of the Ribble and even there have been shouted at by fisher persons!
    We were trying to tack a sailing boat into the wind in a fairly narrow bit west of Preston and had to use as much of the width as possible. It was just a bit unfortunate that there was a fishing match on that day and they were lined up shoulder to shoulder.
    Their shouts were almost as good as the echo sounder letting us know that we had to tack again.
    I was almost tempted to run back down wind dragging a few big shackles on the end of a rope. I'm sure we'd have caught quite a few hooks, weights and other bits of tackle, could even have landed a few complete rods
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling