Thread: Loch Achray 13-16th October 2006 with BCUK

Journal Entries

Default Loch Achray 13-16th October 2006 with BCUK

There is another combined SotP & BCUK meet up at Loch Achray for the weekend of the 13 -16th October. You do not have to come for the whole weekend you can choose any nights that suit you. In fact you can just come for the day.

It will be proper wild camping so no toilet block. It is unlikely that we will luck out with a portaloo again.

Details on the original thread here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=840

and the blogg here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=1079

As usual let us know if you are coming.

Yes please.

Me plus two sons, probably from Friday night.

Hooray!! at last my holidays work out.
    I'll be at Loch Lubnaig from Wednesday 11th so will simply move round the corner for the weekend.

Me and one boy (12) with tent (mum's orders) but I'll have the tarp just in case
    Staying Friday and Saturday night but will have to leave early on the Sunday.
    Regarding arrival, I assume that SotPers arrive by canoe, wheres the best place to park/access the loch?

Look forward to meeting up with you

Ian

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Regarding arrival, I assume that SotPers arrive by canoe, wheres the best place to park/access the loch?
    Just park right at the camp site. That way your stuff is still handy. You can come into the forest drive from the exit if you are just coming to the camp site but if you are there early it is worth a drive round the forest drive anyway.

It is the top one of the proposed sites that we will be using.

'Scuse the ignorance but where abouts is Loch Achray?
    Leone_blanco

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post

Scotland!!

It's in the trossachs ( part of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs national park) roughly 30 miles north of Glasgow. Not too far for me at all.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...817871&zoom=12

Now on the Hot Spot Map

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoconnor View Post
    Scotland!!

It's in the trossachs ( part of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs national park) roughly 30 miles north of Glasgow. Not too far for me at all.
    Only about a weeks travel with a strong horse for me too
    Leone_blanco

I ws wondering when the next me was going to be.the dates are good should be able to make them

John,
    How big is the campsite? is there a limit on camping space? suitable trees?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    John,
    How big is the campsite? is there a limit on camping space? suitable trees?
    30 - 40 is not a problem. Plenty of trees for hammocks but there is a bit of a limit on tents. Not that much of a limit but more than 10 tents could be an issue depending on size but so far it has not been a problem. Hammocks have been the abode of choice generally.

Journal Entries

So far

Eric_Methven
    Graham_S
    MagiKelly
    stuart f
    gregorach
    Grooveski
    Scuba Pete
    JohnC
    Toddy, Varibo, Fiona & Denise
    warthog1981
    CraigM9
    Goose
    The Joker
    Doc plus two sons
    Narc plus kids
    John

I've included the BCUK notifications as well.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 7th-September-2006 at 09:26 AM.

Yup, count me in too

Journal Entries

Updated list.There are still plenty of places

Eric_Methven
    Graham_S
    MagiKelly
    stuart f
    gregorach
    Grooveski
    Scuba Pete
    JohnC & Joe
    warthog1981
    CraigM9
    Goose
    The Joker
    Doc plus two sons
    Narc plus kids
    John
    wildrover
    jamesoconnor
    Morch & Scout
    Emberglow
    locum76

Normally things come up and people have to drop out nearer the time but as I say there is still plenty of room. Also a couple of people have hinted that they might arrive on the Thursday. This is not a problem and to be honest I can probably extend the booking for additional days on either side of the "official" meet if anyone wants a longer stay. I just need to know in advance.

From the discussion on BCUK there looks as if there is going to be a lot of archery again as well as the usual fire by friction etc.

John
    Put Mike B and me down thursday to monday. We will probably share a tent to start with but i would really like some lessons on what to do with my GB hammock.
    What else do i need for the hammock ,ropes/tapes?to hang it from the tree with.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    John
    Put Mike B and me down thursday to monday. We will probably share a tent to start with but i would really like some lessons on what to do with my GB hammock.
    What else do i need for the hammock ,ropes/tapes?to hang it from the tree with.
    Well I know you already have a tarp and insect net so two 5m lengths of climbing tape should see you ready. An underblanket will help (can't remember if you got one). Not sure what nights I will be staying yet but I should have a spare underblanket with me, as well as tarps and hammocks probably

Journal Entries

Great - count me in for one hammock space .

I take it that SOTP'ers usually park at the end of Achray and arrive by paddling?

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Journal Entries

Updated list.

Eric_Methven
    Graham_S
    MagiKelly
    stuart f
    gregorach
    Grooveski
    Scuba Pete
    JohnC & Joe
    warthog1981
    CraigM9
    Goose
    The Joker
    Doc plus two sons
    Narc plus kids
    John
    wildrover
    jamesoconnor
    Morch & Scout
    Emberglow
    locum76
    Wayland
    Draven
    Match
    John Dixon
    David B & Mike B
    Blutack

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack View Post
    I take it that SOTP'ers usually park at the end of Achray and arrive by paddling?
    No, we park as close as we can and get the BCUK members to carry our canoes for us or they do not get a shot over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

No, we park as close as we can and get the BCUK members to carry our canoes for us or they do not get a shot over the weekend
    MK, I have looked through my "Pirate Lexicon Primer" and cannot find "shot over the weekend", I can find "shot across their bows" and "Shot through" and would expect it to be between them, can we expect some form of drawn out torture for those BCUK members foolish or brazen enough not to carry your canoe? (I assume that keelhauling from a canoe is not the deterrent it once was).
    AARGH thems as dies'll be the lucky ones belike, har har har wi' a wanion, aye and a wild wicked wanion an'all, rot me for barrel o' salt horse, else.

Ian

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    MK, I have looked through my "Pirate Lexicon Primer" and cannot find "shot over the weekend", I can find "shot across their bows" and "Shot through" and would expect it to be between them, can we expect some form of drawn out torture for those BCUK members foolish or brazen enough not to carry your canoe? (I assume that keelhauling from a canoe is not the deterrent it once was).
    AARGH thems as dies'll be the lucky ones belike, har har har wi' a wanion, aye and a wild wicked wanion an'all, rot me for barrel o' salt horse, else.

Ian
    'twas posted before my pirate days but keelkauling sounds like a suitable punishment for any soul crossing Long John the pirate and that goes for any of the crew on here giving any cheek

Argh, beggin yer pardon capn' didn' mean no 'arm see, an ye can lay to that me hearties an' swing me for a compass devil a doubt.

Ian

(only 9 more hours of pirate talk to go)

Journal Entries

Could I join you all on this one?, with two children in tow. ( looks like a big group already)

Paul currently has a better offer which involves the canoe so I'm going to have a chat with a friend about borrowing/stealing one for the weekend.
    If Paul's trip falls through he'll maybe join us.

We'll be in a tent as I haven't tried taking to the trees yet.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

No problem. I will post an updated list when the computer lets me. I have tried posting it a few times but it will not let me. Will let me post this though
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 25th-September-2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Just a bit of testing, no new content ...

Journal Entries

Updated list.

Eric_Methven
    Graham_S
    MagiKelly
    stuart f
    gregorach
    Grooveski & Scott
    Scuba Pete
    JohnC & Joe
    warthog1981
    CraigM9
    Goose
    The Joker
    Doc plus two sons
    Narc plus kids
    John
    wildrover
    jamesoconnor
    Morch & Scout
    Emberglow
    locum76
    Wayland
    Match
    John Dixon
    David B & Mike B
    Blutack
    Silvergirl & 2 Children

Default I am hoping to join this meet...

But can't really get more than a couple of hours off work on Friday and need to leave Sunday evening. So, if I can make it, I would arrive quite late (set off from near Manchester around 3:30pm). Probably wouldn't arrive till well after dark. Would this be ok?

Hoping to persuade a friend to come along too...

Jac

Journal Entries

Not a problem. If I am there on the Friday I will probably be arriving in the dark as well. there should be plenty people about to help unload and set up, if you need it.

Journal Entries

Well both Eleanor & Gwen have now decided they are coming so I might have the Tipi set up if I cant get all three hammocks set up in a group.

I will be there on Saturday morning till Monday some time but there will be people there from tomorrow till Tuesday so looking forward to seeing anyone who can pop along.

Hi

Is it ok if we (two) come along on saturday afternoon? Will be tenting and may camp 'off site' is space is limited.

Cheers

Journal Entries

Not a problem. Even if the site is full there is a bit tents can be pitched next to the site proper (not that it is a proper site )

See you Saturday.

Default Loch Achray meet.

Hi John,
    I'll be along for the meet but only on the Saturday, unfortunately I can't stay over. Is it possible to give me a rough idea of what time things might kick off in the morning please, regarding any trips etc and I'll time my arrival for then. Looking forward to meeting you all.
    Regards,
    Dougie

Journal Entries

Thinks will be going on at the site from about 8am onward. People will be going out in canoes on and off all day. There is not usually a long day trip at these meets as there is usually too much going on. I suspect I will get there about 11am, perhaps a shade earlier and will have to set up camp so am unlikely to get on the water before lunchtime.

Default I'll be coming up tonight...

with my friend Sally...
    As I only have one hammock, we'll be using a tent too!

Is the exit the furthest north? May need to use it as I can't get much time off work so we'll be late...

Jac

Journal Entries

Yes the exit is the furthest North and everyone will have to use it as the entrance is locked

Journal Entries

It'll be tommorrow morning now before we arrive ( duaghter has swimming lesson this evening and shes just figured out the floating+propulssion thing ). Not sure what time, but as early as we can. May not be that early with two kids and all our stuff to pack . May stay till Tuesday depending on what happens.
    See you there.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default loch achray

hi as a new member of 2 weeks i was disapointed icouldnt make the loch achray trip due to work commitments i drove up to achray on the saturday after work to meet some members i spoke to 2 or 3 and would like to thank magikelly for showing me round his set up iliked the hammock and tarp but dont think i will be running out to buy one just yet not till ive tried one out the guy with the new canoe he built himself it looked nice but looked like a lot of work anyway hope to see you at the next trip
    cheers brandy

Journal Entries

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Sorry I could not spend more time with you but I was a bit tied up trying to get set up, serves me right for bringing the girls .

Still, you are near enough that I expect we will be meeting on the water soon again.

Thanks for organising a fantastic weekend MK, it was magic (and the show wasn't bad either ) It was great to meet up with all of you and our friends over on the bushcraft site. Whens the next one? Oh go on, go on, go on, you know you want to.

TTFN

Ian

Default cooooolll

thanks to everyone who made taz, nunook and i welcome - we had a great time hope to meet you all again soon..