Thread: Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud

Default Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud

Not if you get the tide right.

My first trip to the lower reaches of the River Coquet a couple of weeks ago was at low tide. Following tips by other members I returned on Sunday a couple of hours before high tide and enjoyed a varied morning trip which extended from river estuary to leafy river & medieval castle.

Launched from The Braids picnic site on the edge of Amble where a car can be parked right next to the water.

Jack as you can see was full of enthusiasm.

Getting the timing right is crucial on this tidal river as the weir upstream has to be passed about 1.30 – 2.00 hours before high tide to enable access to the stretch of river at Warkworth. As I had about half an hour in hand I paddled across the river to the sand dunes that separate the north bank of the river mouth from the North Sea.

Stretching my legs I flushed a fox which high tailed it into the dunes.

A feature of this stretch of the river are a number of wrecks that provide roosts for cormorants and heron.

Turning up river and paddling against a stiff wind and river flow was hard work.

As the tide comes in and the river rises the weir is washed out and the superb view of Warkworth Castle gets closer.

Passing round the bend of the river I glimpsed a flash of blue skimming the river bank – a kingfisher. Saw it twice more during the trip.

The river is without hazard and passing under the old bridge at the top of the bend brings you to a grassy area with parking and picnic tables and seats.

There is easy access and it would be possible to start a trip at this point.

Continuing up river for another few hundred metres passes a hermitage set in a sandstone cave. This is in the charge of English Heritage and is only accessible by rowing boat; the landing stage is private. The up river trip ends shortly further on at a weir.

The journey back was done in double quick time with a stiff wind helping me on the way once the wider stretch of the river was reached.

A good mornings paddle which could have been extended with further exploration of the river mouth and the harbour area. I’ll save that for next time.
    Aslan

That looks like a nice trip Aslan. The Coquet seems to give you a bit of everything. Wide open estuary, wrecks, castles, medieval bridges and a tree lined river. What more do you need?
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Yup, looks like lots of interesting stuff to see, great blogg .

Glad to see your son looking as enthusiastic as mine usually does .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

Looks like a fantastic spot for exploring, wrecks, castles and more.

Looks like a top trip Aslan, what a beautiful stretch of water!

I still can't find that file I've got and would doubt it would have much more info than the stuff on the upper section on UKRG. Info like this is so much more useful.

If you could get in a little further up river (and get a shuttle run), you could add cup and ring marks to the list of historical features at Jack Rock.

Default cup & ring marks

Have always failed to pick out cup & ring marks on the times iv'e looked for them near Rothbury. Even a detailed archeology map didn't help. I obviously need an expert to point them out. Did find a stone axe head once which greatly impressed my boys.
    Aslan