Thread: Munros by canoe

Default Munros by canoe

Well, the approach by canoe anyway!

Has anybody got a list of paddler's Munros? I'm planning on ambushing a keen Munro bagger with a canoe. Or something like that
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    Well, the approach by canoe anyway!
    Thank god for that. I thought you were taking this portage thing a bit far this time
    John

I think even I would draw the line at taking a boat up a Munro. Mind you, I have, more than once, found myself on a hillside with no water in sight except for weeping bogs, wondering why I had a canoe with me.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Great idea Tenboats - my Dad's a confirmed Munro bagger (though he's run out of new ones now ). I converted him to the idea of using a mountain bike to shorten walk-ins, but haven't really got him into a canoe yet.

Suilven via Loch Veyatie is an obvious one, though not a Munro (we're hoping to do that trip in a fortnight's time). Slioch and the mountains behind Letterewe are another, as the canoe saves a long walk in around Loch Maree.

A bit closer to home though, the one I'm trying to get my Dad interested in is Ben Alder via Loch Ericht. One well-used approach from Dalwhinnie involves a 40km round trip following the side of the Loch. Surely that sort of saving is enough to convert even the most hardened walker .

Do let me know if you want company, as it would be a great excuse to continue 'working' on my Dad!!

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Sgurr Mor from Loch Quoich saves a long walk in with only a short paddle , or carry on to west end of the loch for Sgurr na Ciche See loch Quoich Blogg

Loch Mullardoch should also give easy access to a few munros

Closer to home Beinn Mhanach from Loch Lyon is a hill I'm planning to paddle to In the next few months

I quite fancy doing some of the Letterewe/Fisherfield hills from Fionn Loch. The long portage in from the coast might put of your Munro Bagger friends though!