Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wye trip 23 SEP-25th SEP

Default Wye trip 23 SEP-25th SEP

Ok so we have two Wye trips on the go this thread is for the first trip proposed for 23-25th Sep.

Who is interested for the whole 3 days?

Proposed start Glasbury Saturday morning at 10'ish. Will need time to sort shuttles out if we intend to leave cars at each end so may need to meet earlier than this if we can (8.30AM).
    If people are travelling up on Friday I intend to stay at the Hollybush Inn campsite which could provide an alternative launch point to save packing up and driving to an alternative start!

Would suggest we make bookings for Hollybush separately but request to be in similar area?

Saturday paddle to Preston Court Farm site which is below Monington Falls a basic site that offers a tap and loo and for £5 a barrow load (big) of wood for a fire (practice open fire cooking skills).

Suggest we get an idea of numbers and I can phone to let the guy know and get some wood.

Sunday paddle to Holme Lacey campsite this is a proper one and would need an idea of numbers to phone ahead, I am happy to do so if we have some idea of who is coming.

Monday paddle to cars at say Hoarwithy, we may have to park cars just off the river in the village, you can drag/carry boats across grass to road or paddle a long day to Ross on Wye?

This would make for two very full days of nearly 20 miles each day and a last day of about 10 0r 20 miles. This could be a tough 3 days if the river levels are low.

Days could be shortened by starting at Whitney Toll Bridge the first day (camping facilities here and down the road). 12-13 miles to preston. The last day definitely bail out at Hoarwithy so making the Monday 10 miles instead of 20!!

Day options could include the Holly Bush or Whitney to Preston on the Friday. Preston to Holme lacey or a bit shorter to Hereford on the Saturday.

I would also suggest that whilst we may be doing the trip as a SOTP meet that each boat is self sufficient and paddlers are confident about undertaking the trip, camping and food/water etc. We can arrange to meet at intervals down the river for a brew and lunch but each boat/s can at least paddle as they want down the river so long as we all end up at the campsite at the end of the day. Mobile signals are patchy on the river so may not be able to rely much on those to communicate.

Nigel
    Some links

http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_the_wye.htm

http://www.mountainandwater.co.uk/wyeroute.htm

http://www.waterscape.com/River_Wye/...sbury)/sid4358
    Last edited by nigelp; 3rd-September-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Default wye trip

Hi nigel...count me in for the wye trip. Ive booked myself into the glasbury inn campsite for the friday night ready for a saturday start. Ill be up for the three day trip, so ill see you there....nice one ....maynard.

I'm planning on coming along with my boat of 2, possibly 3 people. Will be there for all 3 days (Sat-Mon) and will almost certainly book in to the Hollybush Campsite for the Friday Night. This seems to be the obvious place to launch from and to leave cars over the weekend ?

Looking forward to it....
    Last edited by Newdaze; 4th-September-2006 at 04:58 PM.

This seems to be the obvious place to launch from and to leave cars over the weekend
    Yes that sounds OK we would only need one or two cars at the other end that we could maybe sort first thing Sat, or late Friday.

Ah tried to find the Hollybush campsite link!

I will book this week and are people requesting the SOTP section by the river? Not sure if John has secured a discount here for members yet

Nigel

I'm attending for the 3 days, but will drive across the Sat morning to meet you at Glasbury.

Roly.

I too will be doing the 3 days (sat-mon ) and will probably arrive with Roly on the saturday morning.
    I wouldn't mind taking my car to the Take Out Point i can shuttle another five people (six seater) plus my own gear back to the starting point. Then i can make a fast get away so as to get back to work for the night shift on Monday .
    Cheers
    Roy
    p.s:
    Roly- with a slight adaption to my roof rack i will probably be able to your canoe on my car aswell to save you the trip back to the Take Out.
    Last edited by Roy; 5th-September-2006 at 11:42 AM.

would like to join you for the sunday section if i can arrange a shuttle!!???

am trying to get time off to do this, possibly Friday through Sunday, if I can make inroads on the new bathroom etc.

will either be there with my 13' solo or with a new [ish] 16' prosepector... if I've been to fetch it by then!

No roofrack though, so a shuttle would be nice.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

would like to join you for the sunday section if i can arrange a shuttle!!???
    i am sure we can arrange to leave a vehicle at Holme Lacey on the Saturday as we are expecting to camp there on the Sunday anyway.

No roofrack though, so a shuttle would be nice
    Just at the end of the trip or for getting there?

just for the end of the trip..... I use softracks for the 13'er, yet to see how it'll be for the prospector, so it's a case of not being able to use my Golf as a shuttle vehicle.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

I have a small van that has managed my canoe and two k ks before now so should be OK.

Will you to be exiting the water on the Sunday at Holme Lacey?

Dont know yet, I'll make the decision on how long I stay on the water closer to the time. I'm juggling a fair few things at the moment.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Interested.

Especially if the Inchcailloch trip doesn't go off that w/e.

Probably solo in a 16.5' folder, so my car can only shift my boat (or other similar)

Jac and/or Reece may be interested, which may mean more folk (<= 2) and a further folding bat if Jac comes.

I am confident wrt camping, things that go bump in the night &c, but only have about 16 hours on (mostly slow)moving water, I trust this should be OK...

If you could give me a steer, I'll see about some bookings for camping.

Jim.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Especially if the Inchcailloch trip doesn't go off that w/e.
    If there is another Inchcialloch meet this year it is likely to be November now. I avoided this date as it would have clashed and the Open Canoe Symposium is just the week before (people might have restricted weekend available) and now we have the Loch Achray meet in October, which you are welcome to come too (It'll save me having to eat my own food )

but only have about 16 hours on (mostly slow)moving water, I trust this should be OK..
    That sounds just like the Wye in September so should be fine! The first day is likely to involve some wading over shallows unless there is a bit more rain!

There is a link to the Hollybush Inn site and we can book the Saturday, Sunday night ones the week before.

Nigel

Default sat sun campsite

Nigel with regards to the sat & sun camps are we to book individually or will they except a block booking on behalf of all attending.
    Given that the kids are back at school do you think they will be that busy that we need to book?
    cheers
    Roy

Default I fancy coming along too...

just gotta sort out the finer details... Doubt very much I can do 20 miles per day solo... solo steering still escapes me! So waiting to see if I can muster a partner first.

Also up for the camping.

Jac

do you think they will be that busy that we need to book
    The Saturday site is a field and I've yet to see the guy turn anyone away . I will phone ahead on the Monday before once we have some ideas of numbers? How many people fancy some fire wood? It would be £5 for a barrow load and they are quite huge barrow loads!!

The Sunday site is unlikely to be to busy as it is as you say the off season, and a Sunday. Again am happy to phone ahead on the Monday just to be sure. I think it would be easier if we pay separately once we get there.

Doubt very much I can do 20 miles per day solo... solo steering still escapes me! So waiting to see if I can muster a partner first
    You could start at Whitney Toll bridge to shorten the first day? The other days are quite long which will be hard if water levels are low, there may be other opportunities to start at a later point or shorten the day.

Nigel
    Last edited by nigelp; 7th-September-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Default wye trip

jac...im with you on that one..Im not sure if i could manage 20 miles a day, being fairly new to this game...I think my arms might fall off . I suppose we could all go at our own pace and meet up later in the day at the next camp site...what do you think..maynman

Hi

jac...im with you on that one..Im not sure if i could manage 20 miles a day, being fairly new to this game...I think my arms might fall off .
    The distances are usually defined by campsites along the river. Not sure how many of us are actually intending to paddle but an alternative would be to either paddle the river in stages and stay at one camp spot, or shorten the days and spend more time messing about and learning some things.

This would allow time to have a go with lines or poles should people want to or try different strokes and things along the way. Personally I enjoy the pottering and making camp as much as any thing else and shorter days allows more time to make camp and enjoy the experience.

I am easy either way and having paddled the river before would be as happy to do short days with playing time as long gruelling days!!

An example would be to paddle Hollybush to Whitney or Turners Boat (never actually found this one despite looking before) and then to Preston. 3 days of around 10-12 miles with time to practice things? Both Turners boat and Preston are basic sites and fairly rural.

Nigel

Info from here

Lockters Pool

Locksters Pool 12 miles.
    The first sharp left hand bend below Whitney. This camp site on the right bank is open all year. Mrs S. Mason. Tel 01497 831373
    I've never stayed there but readers report this as a great site, i. e. basic. Just a tap. It's easily missed. The river is wide at this point and you can wade across at normal summer levels. Be careful if you swim here. The pool itself on the bend is deep and has strong currents
    Preston 23.5 miles.
    Half a mile below the falls on the right bank. Campsite basic, just a tap, and a Portaloo from April-Oct, but great site (like Locksters Pool) if you like peace and quiet. £2 per person. Mr J. Price, New Court Farm. Tel 01981 500349. Open fire allowed so long as you only use driftwood
    More like a mile below and now £3 per person. Fires OK and will provide wood!

Would make a 9, 12 and 11 mile days if we where to bail at Hereford on Monday. Have a look and see what you think.

Nigel

sounds good. still in negotiating mode with Sian over being let out
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

sounds good. still in negotiating mode with Sian over being let out
    Surely she can see the value in testing a new canoe

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    If there is another Inchcialloch meet this year it is likely to be November now.
    Then I'm up for this Wye trip

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    ...Loch Achray meet in October, which you are welcome to come too (It'll save me having to eat my own food )
    Jac mentioned it to me but it clashes with my desperately dull Project Management exams

But I fancy Inchcailloch again, and am open to suggestions as to the menu.

Actually, this Wye trip looks like a good cooking trip with plenty of fires - no more "chicken a La Suède[1]"

Jim.

[1] Cooked in a Trangia stove

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    just gotta sort out the finer details... Doubt very much I can do 20 miles per day solo... solo steering still escapes me! So waiting to see if I can muster a partner first.

Also up for the camping.

Jac
    Reece and I did ~8 miles of the Severn last week in a tad over 2 hours.

This may, of course be no indication as to the Wye, but it didn't feel like hard work, either...

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Reece and I did ~8 miles of the Severn last week in a tad over 2 hours.

This may, of course be no indication as to the Wye, but it didn't feel like hard work, either...

Jim.
    and there were two of you in the canoe... you know how I seem to examine each side in a zigzag... your 8 miles would have been more like 18 for me <)
    Jac

The Wye has risen a bit recently - Last Sunday paddled the Holme Lacy to Whoarwithy section, also had a 1st time paddler along so we certainly weren't pulling out all the stops to speed forward and we didn't get on the water until well after 3pm. By about 18.30 we were off. It didn't take long at all.

Roly.

When I paddle solo i reckon at travelling about a third slower than tandem with my partner who is a fairly inexperienced paddler. However I would think that on a days paddle, solo versus double half to a third less distance travelled is probably about right; this would depend on how much correction is necessary for wind etc.

Actually, this Wye trip looks like a good cooking trip with plenty of fires - no more "chicken a La Su&#232;de[1]"
    Still happy to have shorter days and have time to cook and mess about.
    How about a bannock competition? The most interesting thing cooked on a fire?

Nigel
    Last edited by nigelp; 8th-September-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I wanted to, so there

Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    i am sure we can arrange to leave a vehicle at Holme Lacey on the Saturday as we are expecting to camp there on the Sunday anyway.
    I am still hoping to join you for the sunday section. I think Mr. Southstaffsboater will join me and then we can be independant for a shuttle (but thanks for the offer of leaving a car mid way). let me know when you decide the sunday start and finish locations so i pitch up in the right place!

Wink Interested

I am interested but am having difficulty with freeing up my car for the trip. If can free the car up will be paddling. Or is there someone who wants to get together with the travel who happens to be going past junction 26 of the M6.

If can free up the car am assummingt there will be enough there for car shuttles either at the end or beginning of the trip. Whats the parking situation

I'll add my (controversial) two penneth... It's the river trip, being self sufficent and camping along the way that appeals to me. I'd prefer to cover as much distance as reasonably possible over the 3 days. Covering a large section of the river is why I'm prepared to devote a days holiday to the trip. Messing about lining or learning different strokes can be done any time as can camping in one spot and having day trips on the river from there.

The section of the river from Preston to Holm Lacey is always going to be 19 miles and will never get any shorter. There are still 12 hours of daylight available and I would imagin that 20 or so miles was quite achievable during that time period with a couple of heafty breaks and picnics to re-fuel along the way. If solo paddlers have their doubts about being able to accomplish this then then surely it stands to reason that they should consider teaming up and going tandem ?

Now, believe me that I'm as laid back as they come... It's just that I've been on loads of different trips in the past with loads of different people. When I've seen conflict arise, it's usually because the objectives haven't been laid out from the start and people have their own different ideas about what they want to do.

It seems that the options we have are :-

Day Place Milage Total
    1 Hollybush Inn -> Preston 20.5 20.5
    2 Preston -> Holm Lacey 19 42.5
    3 Holm Lacey -> Hoarwithy 8.5 51
    OR
    Day Place Milage Total
    1 Glasbury -> Boat Inn 10.5 10.5
    2 Boat Inn -> Preston 13 23.5
    3 Preston -> Hereford 10 33.75

My vote is for the original plan, which is the first of these.

I'd prefer to cover as much distance as reasonably possible over the 3 days
    I have paddled the River Wye, Severn and Thames in there entirety and have re-covered further sections of the the Wye and Thames for pleasure. By far the most enjoyable days paddling where had on shorter sections with time to enjoy things.

being self sufficent and camping along the way
    This can still be achieved on either proposal.

If solo paddlers have their doubts about being able to accomplish this then then surely it stands to reason that they should consider teaming up and going tandem ?

is always going to be 19 miles and will never get any shorter
    -
    Preston -> Hereford 10

Part of this forum I enjoy is the sharing of ideas and experience with people of all levels of experience and the Wye trip is for me an extension of that. Shorter days would allow those with more experience an opportunity to pass on ideas and techniques to paddlers who are new to this type of venture.
    Messing about lining or learning different strokes can be done any time
    I would suggest that this type of river and trip could for some be that 'any time'.

Nigel

Part of this forum I enjoy is the sharing of ideas and experience with people of all levels of experience and the Wye trip is for me an extension of that. Shorter days would allow those with more experience an opportunity to pass on ideas and techniques to paddlers who are new to this type of venture. I would suggest that this type of river and trip could some be that 'any time'.

Nice one nigel I'm with you on that. I'm new to canoeing and one of the main reasons I am going is because i would like to learn new things,and make it a plesurable experience. It's not a race newdaze...It's ment to be fun, and anyway Iv'e just spent &#163;1200 on a new solo canoe, and i am not going tandem in my other canoe just to satisfy the speed freaks.....maynman.
    Last edited by maynman; 12th-September-2006 at 05:15 AM.

Red face What trip and clear aims

Have finally been able to sort out travel and clear my deck, thats work deck not canoe deck so have my penny worth as well

Agree with Newdaze about two main points

Reason I am prepeared to take a days leave is for the long trip

Need clear aims before getting on the water. This means we know what we are going to the Wye for and allows some organization that will ensure on the water that people can buddy up with 2 types of people as required.

Assuming solo paddle then:

Those who dont know the river then they paddle with someone who does

Those with less paddle proficiency then they buddy up with someone who has more paddling proficiency.

As a group then we can help each other down the river.

Maybe will minimise worrys by the less paddle proficient over the distance.
    Thoughts

Ok, lets not turn it all into a debate as that would spoil things. If there are two groups on the same dates fine, both propositions offer a chance for SOTP members to meet and share experience. We all meet at the Hollybush to start anyway and if one lot wants to go the distance they can and if the other want to potter then that's great too. After we can through the forum see how during similar river conditions each fared etc. Clearly we have a longer distance group and one that wants to drink a lot of tea!

Personally i usually arrange trips and go solo so don't need the conduit of the forum to get on the water, so really could do without the hassle of a huge debate before we even hit the water .

Slow group, and faster group

Nigel

Ok, lets not turn it all into a debate as that would spoil things
    Slow group, and faster group

Nigel
    Words of wisdom. Thank you.

Jac and I decided we're not too fussy as one boat can be packed and go cargo in the other!

And she paddled 8 miles in 4 hours solo in a gusty wind on Saturday...

...but as I'm still new to moving water, I can spend all day ferrying and mucking about and only do a short way without feeling cheated.

I'll check back over the campsites and try and work out if any need booked/which to book etc.

And I can't get the Friday off

Still, looking forward to a good weekend, see y'all soon.

Jim.

I'll check back over the campsites and try and work out if any need booked/which to book etc.
    I think the Locksters Pool site is no more (have tried to call to confirm) so alternative is the Boat Inn or Whitney Toll. Both are close to a main road but i prefer the Whitney one for its lack of facilities and simplicity. It also has trees and is less campsite like which is good for tarps and hammocks!! Preston only requires a call if wood required but on a slow day could probaly pick some up on the way (Sunday is unlikley to be busy anyway). We could start Saturday at Glasbury itself rather than Hollybush just to add the first 3 miles? Saturday night at Whitney or similar, Sunday at Preston and exit the water Monday at hereford or Hoarwithy?

Nigel

We could start Saturday at Glasbury itself rather than Hollybush just to add the first 3 miles? Saturday night at Whitney or similar, Sunday at Preston and exit the water Monday at Hereford or Hoarwithy?

IF........ I can get away I was planning to put in at Glasbury either Friday or Saturday.

Am happy to get to Glasbury sometime Saturday am and meet up there, it's around a 3 hour drive for me. give us a time. take out Monday sometime midday-ish will probably work for me, just some juggling this end to do.

fast or slow does'nt matter to me..but it's my first time on moving water and I'll be solo [the sea does'nt count I suppose ]
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Phoned the lady for locksters Pool and she still does camping there so ideal for the Saturday night. Only wants to know numbers as she will turn others away once she has about 20!! Facilities-Tap, yes that's a list of facilities!!

So slower group how many?

Nigel

Count me in for sure....maynman

Just catching up on the thread from a few days ago. I'm confused as to what the plan is now.

One thing I do know is it should be simple - as otherwise in future people won't want to suggest trips and meetups if it becomes complicated....

I hadn't noticed that there was a revised suggestion of a finish at Hereford until this evening. One thing we probably need to remember is that unlike normal single daytrips the amount of paddling time available each day is considerably more than usual. Personally I'd prefer to opt for the original plan (if indeed there are two plans I'm not really sure!!).

The main thing is that everyone has fun (afterall thats why we're all here).
    I don't think that time and speed of the river is likely to be an issue for anyone - more likely muscle endurance for those new to solo paddling, which if not used to then could be an issue over the duration of 3days.

I havn't yet committed to book any campsites - waiting to see what everyone else is doing, but conscious as well that the sands of time moving.

Roly.

I havn't yet committed to book any campsites - waiting to see what everyone else is doing, but conscious as well that the sands of time moving.
    I don't think that time and speed of the river is likely to be an issue for anyone - more likely muscle endurance for those new to solo paddling, which if not used to then could be an issue over the duration of 3days.
    Would appear to be a group of those who would like to try and cover distance and a group that comprises some new to this type of venture who would like to cover less distance and practice skills along the way. So what we need now is a commitment to one of those!

Faster group covering the route proposed by Newdaze

Day Place Milage Total
    1 Hollybush Inn -> Preston 20.5 20.5
    2 Preston -> Holm Lacey 19 42.5
    3 Holm Lacey -> Hoarwithy 8.5 51

Slower group

1 Glasbury -> Locksters Pool 12
    2 Locksters Pool -> Preston 11.5 23.5
    3 Preston -> Hereford 10 33.5
    but conscious as well that the sands of time moving
    Slower group

Nigel
    Maynman

So slower group how many?

Nigel
    We're for this... two solo boats; myself and Mr.Southstaffsboater (him with L plates). Locksters Pool to Preston (sunday). Could you estimate an idea of what time you want to be on the water. We will have two cars so will leave one at the get out on our way through.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by MaryMary; 13th-September-2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: simultaneous post with nigelp!

You could launch and park at Whitney Toll Bridge and paddle down to Locksters. We will start at around 10 if that is manageable for you in regard to cars etc. Do you know where the Preston site is? Can send you a sketch map I made in the past!!

Nigel

Nigel!
    Thanks - we have only an 'idea' where the Preston site is - so a sketch map would be great. Will the Locksters Pool be obvoius? we dont want to get on at the toll bridge and float past you all?!!
    10.00 should be fine. could you PM your mobile number just in case...signal is not always reliable I know.
    Looking forward to this...
    Mary & Bob

Unfortunately in life you can't please all the people all the time. I felt that the goal posts were being moved away from the original proposal to which people had already said they were interested in - and were in the process of booking time off from work for. This is a discussion board and so people should feel free to air their views. I don't believe I'm a speed freak and I would never consider it to be a race. It's just that time away from the family and accumulated brownie points are precious to me and I like to make 'em count.

I agree with Nigel that no-one needs hassle, and after all, this is something that we do because we enjoy it and yes, the main thing is that everyone has fun.

...and so it seems that we have two groups....
    a longer distance group and one that wants to drink a lot of tea!
    It seems after opening my big mouth that I'm falling into the rut of organising plans for the "long distance group"

So far it seems that Myself, Liverpool paddler, and ukrols being those who'd like to "go the distance".
    • Friday night : camp at the Hollybush Inn, drink beer and make merry with the other group.
    • Saturday : Hollybush Inn -> Preston 20.5 miles
    • Sunday : Preston -> Holm Lacey 19 miles
    • Monday : Holm Lacey -> Hoarwithy 8.5 miles.
    Is Anyone else interested in the longer trip ? Maybe send me a private message and I can keep names in a single post rather than complicating the whole thread ?

Hi Andy that’s great thanks for taking that on and I do agree that we need clear objectives for each trip, which I think we now have.

I don’t think any one considers you a speed freak but now we have a compromise that makes the whole weekend more inclusive for those wanting to have a longer distance trip and those who fancy using the weekend to practice techniques etc. Now we have the finer details ironed out we can focus on getting together and having some fun. It will be great to meet at the beginning of the trip, and afterwards to share our experiences through the forum and hopefully organise other meets in the future.

At the beginning of the thread it was made clear that as 'organisers’ we where only taking on the responsibility co-ordinating a get together of members from the SOTP forum with regard to an idea of start points and where to camp etc. Each participant should be equip and prepared as if they where undertaking the trip independently!!

Really looking forward to meeting next week and still think that it is quite an achievement to organise a get together through an online forum with relatively little hassle .

I will post details of the various sites we are using and phone ahead to the Locksters Pool site to check we are OK there, reckon it would be easier to book into the Hollybush Inn site separately but try to clump together when we get there. I quite fancy the tree bit by the river (hammock!!). Besides the faster group will be up at the crack of dawn anyway (rivalry starts all ready ), but please try not to wake the ‘mid-dayer’s up’ .

I may request the ‘infamous’ smillie from John so we can recognise each other.
    SSB look out for an A3 laminated smillie marking the Locksters Pool site.
    Nigel

Default Long Trip Participents

OK, people opting for the long trip so far are :-
    • Newdaze
    • Liverpool Paddler
    • Ukrols
    • Roy
    I'll edit and update this particular post as and when (if !) further names come in. Send me a PM if you'd like to be added. I'll ring and make bookings at the campsites over this coming weekend or next Monday morning. I doubt if we'll have problems getting on a site now that the kids are back at school.

Just like to re-iterate what Nigel said, in view of the prevailing view that society seems to have towards litigation - I'm not qualified to organise a in a brewery let alone be let loose on a river....

At the beginning of the thread it was made clear that as 'organisers’ we where only taking on the responsibility co-ordinating a get together of members from the SOTP forum with regard to an idea of start points and where to camp etc. Each participant should be equip and prepared as if they where undertaking the trip independently!!

Default wye trip

HI folk's can't wait for this weekend, I think iv'e overloaded my canoe but time will tell, I'll sink or swim ...Looking forward to meeting you all at the hollybush inn on friday for a beer or six....first round is on me....See you all then ....maynman

Quote Originally Posted by southstaffsboater View Post
    Nigel!
    Thanks - we have only an 'idea' where the Preston site is - so a sketch map would be great. Will the Locksters Pool be obvoius? we dont want to get on at the toll bridge and float past you all?!!

Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes in marking up the following images which are from a 1:25K Memory Map. I've marked up where I believe the campsites are based on the description given on the web .

Roy :- I've also shown Hoarwithy to give you an idea of where to leave your car on Saturday morning.

Whitney Toll Bridge and Locksters Pool

Byecross & Preston Campsites

Hoarwithy (Long route exit)

Hi the preston site lies almost due north of the church. Access via a series of lanes to get you here

You will note a pond, a posh house with red stone and the church. The lane/track to access the Preston site is through the buildings seen to the left of the church as you look them. There is a sign of sorts! The black line on the sketch below show the route through the buildings across the edge of the field and into the camping field.

If memory serves me the site is accessed from the river just before or after a power cable crossing the river look out for the landing stage! Guide books give the impression that the site is just below Monnington, it is however a good 1000 metres further downstream past a steep tree lined bank to the left!! Locksters looks good though.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Newdaze View Post
    OK, people opting for the long trip so far are :-
    • Newdaze
    • Liverpool Paddler
    • Ukrols
    • Roy
    I'll edit and update this particular post as and when (if !) further names come in. Send me a PM if you'd like to be added. I'll ring and make bookings at the campsites over this coming weekend or next Monday morning. I doubt if we'll have problems getting on a site now that the kids are back at school.

Just like to re-iterate what Nigel said, in view of the prevailing view that society seems to have towards litigation - I'm not qualified to organise a in a brewery let alone be let loose on a river....

Well, for some reason I no longer have an edit button on post #48 (perhaps because I've added to the topic since ?)

We now have two additional boats joining us :

• Chris and Suzanna - Sunday only
    • Sandra and Elinor - Sunday and Monday

Having only passed the Preston site from the river, I'm just trying to figure out in my head how the two boats (from my club ) will be able to join us on the Sunday morning. Does anyone know if there is vehicular access to the site?

Chris and Suzanna will prob need a shuttle back to Preston on the Sunday eve so I may need to leave my vehicle at Holme Lacey on the saturday to accommodate this. Anything other than simple shuttles always confuse my little brain!

Roly.

Journal Entries

Well, for some reason I no longer have an edit button on post #48 (perhaps because I've added to the topic since ?)
    You can only edit a post for up to 24 hours. Stops people re-writing history

Default 3 more for the marathon ;-)

Hi again, guys,

Reece, Jac and I seem to agree we're up for the long days, despite Jac's initial misgivings.

So 3 more bods in 2 folding boats for the long 'un.

Cheers,

Jim.

We are still up for the shorter version and plan to meet you at Locksters Pool having got on at Whitney Toll Bridge. Our plan is to leave one car at Preston for our return shuttle. We will aim to be at Locksters for about 10.00.
    Nigel! the sketch map is great! thank the author very much!
    see you sunday morning.
    Mary & Bob

This is all getting complicated.... and this is the second time I've written this as it disappeared into the Eather the last time I hit the send button <Laughs Out Loud>

Right, this is what I said to Liverpool Paddler this morning. Hopefully it will make sence :-

...<snip>...
    I did have 3 in my boat. I mentioned this to Roy and he said that he was happy for one to go with him (he was solo) to make his life easier. Having told my friend this last night he then asked that if there is now a spare seat in my canoe if he could bring his teenage son along (though he hasn't actually asked him he wants to come yet !) - so there *could* be another body in my canoe if you felt like you needed that extra engine.

The way it looks at present is

(tandem) - Me + 1 (possibly 2)
    (tandem) - Roy + one of my mates
    (solo) - Roly
    (solo) - You (Liverpool Paddler)
    Joining us Sunday :
    (tandem) Sandra + Elinor (Sunday & Monday)
    (tandem) Chris + Suzanna (Sunday only)

This morning I booked the campsites. I opted for the Bycross campsite which is approx 1 mile before Preston. It has better facilities and better road access for Rolys friends joining us on Sunday morning.

This is the booking I made :-
    Saturday Night - Bycross Campsite, 01981 500284 - 5 Tents
    Sunday Night - Holme Lacey, Lucksall Caravan Site - 6 Tents

-----

In addition we now have...

(solo ?) - JimH
    (Tandem ?) - Reece + Jac

Jim, I'll back this up by PM. Can you make the campsite bookings for your additional "bodies" please.

Default Late comer for the Wye

I know this is late notice but could you add 1 more for the long Wye trip. I've phoned both camp sites and booked my place.
    Look forward to seeing you all Saturday morning.

Welcome on board !

In addition we now have...

(solo ?) - JimH
    (Tandem ?) - Reece + Jac

Jim, I'll back this up by PM. Can you make the campsite bookings for your additional "bodies" please.
    All booked and sorted. Sorry I've been a bit tardy sorting it all out.

PS, I checked re: fires:

Hollybush may permit if not on the ground (but the lad on the phone seemed vague.

Bycross no problem, they will supply wood for a fairly nominal fee.

Holme Lacey OK if the fire is enclosed and off the ground (they have cinderblocks to raise them off the turf)

I expect some of you older hands know this (or it may be in a previous message), but HTH.

See you Friday,

Jim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast