Thread: 3-day shannon trip

Default 3-day shannon trip

Me and the wife are going for a three-day/2-night river trip up the Shannon. Has anyone any top tips they would like to pass on?

Default Shannon trip

All I know is the lakes/loughs are very windy. Large craft/yachts have been known to sink. I saw the programe on Irish Waterways where they took a boat from Lough Erne to shannon I think it was on the BBC.NI

If I was going I would take advice from the Crusier Hire people. The locals know everything to look out for. The people at carry bridge marina were a great help to me even running me back to my car after a day trip.

Kate

There is a great interactive map available on the www.nicanoeing.com of the Erne System if thats any help. You can also get a hard copy to save you carrying your laptop.

Let us know all about your trip as i hope to do the same soon.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm actually doing the trip as part of a press trip and it will appear in a well-known tabloid in a few weeks. I will also post the story on this website.

Well Sodajoe,
    Has the trip happened yet? I'm really curious to know.
    PKM
    Mobile Adventure Prospector 16

Journal Entries

Reply from SodaJoe (he is having problems logging on.

Quote Originally Posted by SodaJoe
    Hi Peter, yes we went down the Shannon a couple of weekend's ago and had a fantastic time. We camped wild on two nights and then lorded it up in a five-star hotel afterwards. We paddled about 30 miles from Banagher to Athlone. We started off on a Friday evening about 6pm and paddled for a couple of hours (about eight mile) before setting up camp on the river bank. The second night we camped on long Island before paddling into Athlone where ended our trip (about 12 noon). It was one of the best camping trip I have ever had and we plan to go down again soon. It's great, you can camp anywhere and there's lots of little Islands and groves. We lit a small campfire on the Saturday night and practiced a few bushcraft skills. Fantastic.

I have to do a full write up for the paper and I will post it along with the pix on the website.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here