Thread: Axe paint!

Default Axe paint!

Hi folks.

I hope someone on here can help.

I have come accross an old Sanvik axe (about half size) and have decided to clean it up a bit. Although it is at least 10+ years old it hasn't been used much. The head has rusted (surface) quite a bit, I am going to wire wheel / brush the head and try to put a new edge on it. I have sanded the handle smooth as all of the laquer had flaked off, and will be treating it to linseed oil (I think). What paint would you say is the best to protect the rest of the head? or if not paint, what else? It seems a shame to let it just continue to rot away.

Many thanks in advance

I realise that this is'nt an axe site, but I also know what a varied bunch of people are on here

I would just clean it up and keep it lightly oiled after use.

I definitely wouldn't paint it. The paint will flake off gradually when you use the axe. The best protection and this goes for all edged tools that are prone to corrosion, is to take one part two stroke engine oil and one part parafin. Mix together and wipe over all your tools. This will also penetrate hard to reach areas and will keep the rust off. Wipe on, wipe off works best.

Eric

My axe head rusts quite often on canoe trips. Every so often I get it shining bright but the next trip; that ends that. Its a loosing battle. It was the same with the original paint; every time I used it, it would scrape off. I got sick of the paint and took it all off so now I just deal with the rust and not paint and rust both. People with shiney tools never use them enough to justify owning them; just keep it sharp and oil that handle often.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I don't think I'd bother either to be honest.
    Keeping it in use, and clean will help no end (and stored in the dry, with a bit of gentle airflow too).

Many thanks to you all....oil it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    I don't think I'd bother either to be honest.
    Keeping it in use, and clean will help no end (and stored in the dry, with a bit of gentle airflow too).
    I was typing as you posted. One of the problems is that I won't be using it that often (at the moment) so I want to try and preserve it for a while. But a very good point and well presented.

Many thanks

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

ok, I admit it's a deliberate mis-quote, but the phrase:

"Everything looks like a bit of wood when you have an axe in your hand" comes to mind, so you may find that it's in use a bit more than you planned.