Thread: Loch Lubnaig

Default Loch Lubnaig

I was thinking of doing Loch Lubnaig when the nipper is off school (11th 12th and 13th October). Is it normally viable to launch from the Strathyre parking and get back to the car park by going up the river Balvaig against the current? Any comments on the parking issues along the loch welcomed as would provisional plans for meet ups.

TTFN

Ian

Journal Entries

Hi Narc,

Don't know about paddling back up the river, but I do know that access is easy enough from the car park shown right at the bottom of this link. We camped on the spit shown higher up on the West side of the loch, next to the 'I' of Lubnaig.

You don't mention if you'll be camping, but if you are, you could do a lot worse than this wee spot. Further details in this blogg thread.

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

The carpark at the southern end of Loch Lubnaig gives an excellant launch point. You can get the car right on the waters edge.

Q

Thanks for the prompt reply guys,

Blutack, it was your blog that made me decide on Loch Lubnaig, and I had already decided to use your spot .

Is there enough room at the southern end parking to leave the car for several days (and is it relatively safe?)? It would suit me better than the north end, it's just that I know there's plenty of room at the car park at Strathyre and I don't want to hog the parking or risk the search and rescue people coming out to look for someone.

TTFN

Ian

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Is there enough room at the southern end parking to leave the car for several days (and is it relatively safe?)? <snip> I don't want to hog the parking or risk the search and rescue people coming out to look for someone.
    We managed to find a wee corner away from the shore that wasn't blocking anyone else. The carpark is fairly large, so I don't think you'd be excluding others. Also, it's a fairly busy place, so you shouldn't spark a search and rescue operation by leaving your car there.

I guess it's as safe or unsafe as anywhere really - just don't leave valuables on view!

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

Thanks again Quercus and Blutack!

I did a bit of a recce on Sunday (no canoe unfortunately I was working in Glasgow and came back up via Callander and Strathyre) I've beeb past both those parking places many times and never stopped before. The southernmost one is real easy access to the loch and will let us paddle the entire length (if we go up to the Strathyre Inn for dinner ).
    I think the camping outcrop needs a name, I was thinking of Blar an Blutack after its discoverer
    I'll keep you posted after the trip.

TTFN

Ian

I paddled the length of Loch Lubnaig a week last Sunday, putting in from a lochside layby at the northern end with a short (50m) easy carry and finishing in the large carpark at the southern end. It is easy to spy out access points along the loch as you drive by. It is obviously a popular spot for paddlers as there was a commercial group of kayakers on the water at the southern end.

I had a good following wind for most of the way and the trip only took an hour. Fortunately I had a willing driver!

The photo is setting off from the northern end.

Default Now you see it, now you don't

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    I think the camping outcrop needs a name, I was thinking of Blar an Blutack after its discoverer
    Definitely a summer campsite, as Blutack said in the original thread - it was 3 feet under water at the weekend !

Ian

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    Definitely a summer campsite, as Blutack said in the original thread - it was 3 feet under water at the weekend !
    LOL!

We did wonder if that was why there were no midgies!

Still a good hammock site though, as some of the trees must be at least 10 feet tall! :

Blutack.